Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 08 Oct 2012 (Monday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mega Blast of Mt. Rainier Photos! Wicked sick! ;)

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 08, 2012 22:17 |  #1

Spent around a week up there before the campgrounds closed for the year.

These are all super-quick-first-pass edits to see how I like them. Once I get an idea of what I like, it will take me around a MONTH (straight) to process all of these for printing. Some of them are over 40,000 pixels wide. I need a new computer! :lol:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Untitled (external link) by Johan Loves Nature (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 08, 2012 22:17 |  #2

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My 500PX (external link)

Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 08, 2012 22:22 |  #3

By the way, I ran into a bear at exactly NOON when walking around a corner. We startled the Schit out of each other. :lol: He just backed up slowly and then laid down in a patch of bear grass and just started munching away while on his belly. Once a patch was cleared out, he would wiggle forward on his belly and rest while he swung his head side to side eating more grass. I was going to get a shot, but a loud group of people chased him off before I had a chance. What a rush! :)

My 500PX (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 08, 2012 23:04 |  #4

Amazing, all of them, but I especially like 4 and 5. I wish I could go there someday.
Would you mind sharing a bit of insight on how you went about capturing those two shots in particular?

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 08, 2012 23:08 |  #5

Sirrith wrote in post #15097199 (external link)
Amazing, all of them, but I especially like 4 and 5. I wish I could go there someday.
Would you mind sharing a bit of insight on how you went about capturing those two shots in particular?

I hope you can too! I think it's safe to assume that this is one of the world's most visited Mountains, if not THE most visited. It's crazy how many people from all around the world come here just to see this one place and nothing else. :D

It's super intense in real life. Photos do no justice to how huge and epic this place really is.

#4 was a pain in the ass to process and capture. It is many photos stitched together for exposure and depth of field. The hard part was keeping the lens from flaring like crazy when exposing the foreground. I had to put my finger in the way to keep it even possible. I positioned the camera in portrait mode to get more resolution and it is around 10 photos wide and 3 deep. This one will be a good 20-40 hours of work to make it perfect.

#5 was much easier as I didn't have to worry about flare, and is the same setup as #4.

Taken with either a 16-35II or 70-200 F4 L IS. Wish I had a Nikon 14-24 on there for this trip, as it handles direct flare better than any UWA lens Canon makes. I will pick one up next year for sure.

My 500PX (external link)

paul-t
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 08, 2012 23:13 |  #6

Great series, can't pick a fav.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 08, 2012 23:25 |  #7

Canon_Lover wrote in post #15097218 (external link)
Wish I had a Nikon 14-24 on there for this trip, as it handles direct flare better than any UWA lens Canon makes. I will pick one up next year for sure.

The only thing stopping me from getting that lens is the difficulty/expense of using filters with it...

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,515 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 08, 2012 23:30 |  #8

fantastic works there!

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 08, 2012 23:30 |  #9

Sirrith wrote in post #15097254 (external link)
The only thing stopping me from getting that lens is the difficulty/expense of using filters with it...

I would use it primarily for cases where no filter is needed. Putting a filter on there would defeat the purpose of having a highly flare resistant lens. :D

I would still keep my 16-35II and my Lee filter kit for most of my shots.

14-24 is also the king of night shots, as the vignetting is the lowest of any UWA lens I know of. Vignetting just destroys night time panorama stitching. 16-35 loses 3 stops at f2.8. :( Nikon loses just a little over 1 stop. :)

My 500PX (external link)

ieatstars
Goldmember
3,283 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 09, 2012 00:13 |  #10

Absolutely stunning series. Couldn't pick a fave if I tried. :D

flickr (external link)
Be my fan on F a c e b o o k! (external link) :D

kev83202
266 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 09, 2012 11:55 |  #11

Awesome shots, if I had to pick one to put on my wall I think I would go with #5. I might change my mind 10 times though because they are all good!

Canon 60D, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sigma 10-20, 50mm f 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
flickr (external link)

LHeyden
806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 09, 2012 12:44 |  #12

Simply breathtaking!

Laura Heyden
http://windyridgegolde​ns.com/ (external link)
7D, 5Dc Canon's 70-200mm f/2.8L, 24-105 f/4L, Tamron 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD , 55-250mm IS, 28-135mm IS, 100 2.8 Macro, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and Tamron's 17-35 2.8-4

Canon_Lover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 09, 2012 14:23 |  #13

Thanks for looking folks! :cool:

#5 is my favorite in web sized format, but when viewed big the other images have more incredible details in them mostly due to using the superior 70-200 L. #5 also has a lot of errors that can't be easily seen when viewed small. :)

What's funny is when I was bending over taking the #5 shot a large bull Elk started honking and strutting his stuff up the hill right behind me. Too bad I didn't have a chance to get a pic of him. I should have an extra camera hooked up to my secondary lens at all times for moments like that.

My 500PX (external link)

f5joe
155 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 09, 2012 15:13 as a reply to  @ Canon_Lover's post |  #14

Great job. Makes me want to head that way next season.

Canon T3/1100D and multiple lenses

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,515 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 09, 2012 16:52 |  #15

What sort of technique are you using for capturing these, that you are getting such high resolution output?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

4,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mega Blast of Mt. Rainier Photos! Wicked sick! ;)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.