Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-M Had a play yesterday. Like it a lot!

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Oct 10, 2012 09:04 |  #1

Well, I started a thread in here a few months back as I'd heard the EOS-M was on its way, and I've just done a search and can't see anything about anyone in here actually having a play.

Well....lucky ol' Skygod did have a good play yesterday, and I have to say, it's a lovely little camera.

I've got the latest brochure in my grubby hands too, and so I can tell you all the prices here in Japan so you can all work out the equivalent in your own countries.

So, here's my mini review!

1) The camera - general "feel". (Price = 62,000 Yen)
Very good, IMO. A good "weight", feels very solid and well made.
The lens thread is just what we're used to = very well made, and it locks onto the lenses just as I'd expect.

In my local shop, they have all the colours, and I have to say, each will have its buyers. I think Canon did well here, as the finish of each is high quality, and comparing with other bodies I could grab, it seemed better, or at least, on par.

2) Lenses.
The 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is soooo sweet! (35,000 Yen)
I'm used to lenses like my Siggy 17-55 f/2.8, and my 70-200L 2.8, so to even hold a lens this small, which focuses fast and produces quality images made me laugh in the shop!
Fast AF.
On screen, it looked like it produced quality images without hideous distortion, CA, etc. throughout the zoom range.

The 22mm f/2 STM (30,000 Yen)....hmmm....I'm not so sure I'd bother with it. A bit pricey, when compared with the new 40mm STM pancake. Yes, it's really small, I mean, you could lose it in your wallet! But, I don't like the images I got from it, mainly as it just seemed like a step down in useability compared to the zoom....and here's why:

The EF/EF-S lens adapter....it's cheap (12,000 Yen), and straight away, I tried it with my Siggy 30 f/1.4. NO CONTEST! I think, if I get an EOS-M, I'd get the little zoom, plus the adapter and maybe the dedicated flash ( = Speedlight 90EX, at 9,000 Yen: though it's a bit crap), and that'll be it.

3) AF on the screen using it as a "touch screen".
VERY fast.
I was actually shocked the first time I tried this, as I was only touching the screen to see what would happen....expecting something at a glacial speed....and before I knew what I'd done, the camera was showing me the photo I'd just taken.

4) Sensor.
Well, I didn't buy it, so no chance of uploading for side-by-side stuff, but chimping on site, yeah, I'll have to say it appears to be right up there with either of my 7Ds.
Which means, with a bit of thinking, this tiny little thing could easily be of use to me........in fact, I'm already thinking, slap a remote on it (RC-6 = 2,500 Yen), set it up on a tripod at the concerts I shoot, near the back of the auditorium, and shoot all the wide shots, while I play around near the front with a 70-200 doing all the action shots....at the same time! Could be fun!

5) Balance with a huge lens.
This idea was completely "poo-pooed" in POTN. But last weekend, here in Japan, they changed the Canon EOS-M commercials from merely "showing the new camera with one of its own lenses", to "showing the camera with a 70-200L and a 24L TS-E lens stuck on the front!!!!!
So Canon really doesn't see this as a problem.....and I have to say, it worked with both my 70-200L and 100-400L.
How?? Because why shouldn't it?
I work in weddings (as the dude who says to the bride and groom, "do you?") and our photographers REGULARLY use 5D2s and 7Ds in Live-view, using 70-200Ls stuck on the front....so, what's the difference?

Oh, and the cheapest "all in" cost for a whole wedding where I work is 4,000,000 Yen (or about $43,000) so no, we don't use amateur photographers!!!

Sorry guys, you're acting like dinosaurs if you think it's somehow "wrong". BUT, having no viewfinder, there will be times when it could be a lot tougher to use a long lens on the EOS-M, than on a regular dSLR.
So, I think "best of both worlds" is the way to go. Which means don't sell your dSLR, just get an EOS-M as your "high tech toy"...which happens to capable of taking damn good photos!

Well, that's about all I had time for....sorry to waffle a bit, but those who know me know I sometimes write what I'm thinking, without enough editing - sorry!

Cheers for now,

Simon
[Who is pondering on getting an M.......if there's no sign of a "pro" model coming out soon, with a viewfinder]

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links
ElTigreBlanco
564 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 10, 2012 09:17 |  #2

Says the level-headed one of the bunch!

" Sorry guys, you're acting like dinosaurs if you think it's somehow "wrong". BUT, having no viewfinder, there will be times when it could be a lot tougher to use a long lens on the EOS-M, than on a regular dSLR.
So, I think "best of both worlds", for now, if they don't release a better model next year, would be the way to go, ie, don't sell your dSLR, just get an EOS-M as your "high tech toy"...which happens to capable of taking damn good photos!"

Did you mean to say it may be easier to use the M with live view than a regular dSLR? I'm a few seasonal brews deep but this sentence seems askew...
Great preview and this seems to be a good move in my direction...I'm hoping for some sort of 6D/M stepchild and they are both closer than anything previous from Canon. Well besides that big L company that doesn't like to tailor their pricing to my wallet...You may be on to something with that "Pro" idea, It'll likely be a while till I find something to take place of the 5D though

I like to shoot things...sometimes with a camera!

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,441 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 10, 2012 10:07 |  #3

ElTigreBlanco wrote in post #15103135 (external link)
Says the level-headed one of the bunch!

Sorry guys, you're acting like dinosaurs if you think it's somehow "wrong". BUT, having no viewfinder, there will be times when it could be a lot tougher to use a long lens on the EOS-M, than on a regular dSLR.
So, I think "best of both worlds", for now, if they don't release a better model next year, would be the way to go, ie, don't sell your dSLR, just get an EOS-M as your "high tech toy"...which happens to capable of taking damn good photos!

Did you mean to say it may be easier to use the M with live view than a regular dSLR? I'm a few seasonal brews deep but this sentence seems askew...
Great preview and this seems to be a good move in my direction...I'm hoping for some sort of 6D/M stepchild and they are both closer than anything previous from Canon. Well besides that big L company that doesn't like to tailor their pricing to my wallet...You may be on to something with that "Pro" idea, It'll likely be a while till I find something to take place of the 5D though

(Re: the emboldened part) No. I've had too much Gin to find the original complainers' comments, but basically a fair few POTNers stated that having a tiny camera stuck onto a huge L-lens was daft.

It's not.
It works.

For example, I tried my 100-400L at 400mm, and I could balance the thing no probs. It WOULD get heavy pretty quickly, so a monopod would be in order (which I own!), but like I said before, really, the EOS-M plus big lens would be AN OPTION, not the norm.

The only problem is if the screen sucks in bright light.....which I couldn't test without the shop's alarms going off!!!!!
:confused:

6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 10, 2012 10:19 |  #4

skygod44 wrote in post #15103092 (external link)
Which means, with a bit of thinking, this tiny little thing could easily be of use to me........in fact, I'm already thinking, slap a remote on it (RC-6 = 2,500 Yen), set it up on a tripod at the concerts I shoot, near the back of the auditorium, and shoot all the wide shots, while I play around near the front with a 70-200 doing all the action shots....at the same time! Could be fun!

I know a Nikon shooter who was really hoping to be able to use their mirrorless camera as a remote but a few things didn't end up working out.

I don't recall what specifically but I think there was some issue around not being able to disable the auto-off which had a maximum setting of 15 minutes. Seems dumb, but wonder if this was intentional on Nikon's part.

Joel

NikStar
203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 10, 2012 10:26 |  #5

Good stuff. I want this as a spare. I want to upgrade to the 6D. I've got some decisions to make.

Nik
Canon T3i | 18-55mm IS kit lens | 50mm f1.8 "nifty-fifty" | 40mm f2.8 "pancake" | 24mm f/2.8 "pancake" | Canon Speedlight 430ex II | Canon EOS M10 | Canon G9x

skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,441 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 10, 2012 10:26 |  #6

joeblack2022 wrote in post #15103391 (external link)
I know a Nikon shooter who was really hoping to be able to use their mirrorless camera as a remote but a few things didn't end up working out.

I don't recall what specifically but I think there was some issue around not being able to disable the auto-off which had a maximum setting of 15 minutes. Seems dumb, but wonder if this was intentional on Nikon's part.

Good point Joe.
Well, I'm going to download the English instruction manual in the next few days to see if this model is going to be OK for me, or if I'll have to wait for "version 2".

Basically, Missus Skygod's P&S sucks, so I'd like to get something she can use which could kinda "pull" her a little nearer to understanding why I love doing such "difficult" photography so much.
So the M could offer a solution which I could actually get some use from, too.

Cheers for now,
Simon:D

splbound
242 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 10, 2012 11:19 as a reply to  @ skygod44's post |  #7

Great stuff and sounds like a good complement for my Canon's.

Could you elaborate more of the AF speed. This is the one thing that has been bugging me from all the comments on the pre-production one.

Would you be able to rate the AF speed comparitively to another camera?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,063 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 10, 2012 12:01 |  #8

I would have thought that the 22 pancake would be one of the most intriguing lenses canon has ever made. It's an F2 pancake at a good FOV which can make the camera a 1 lens point and shoot with DSLR quality and pns size. Other than that, not much going for the system.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,108 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 10, 2012 15:02 |  #9

skygod44 wrote in post #15103336 (external link)
For example, I tried my 100-400L at 400mm, and I could balance the thing no probs. It WOULD get heavy pretty quickly, so a monopod would be in order (which I own!), but like I said before, really, the EOS-M plus big lens would be AN OPTION, not the norm.

thanks for that. After only an hour and a half with 100-400 & 1D3 at an airshow nearly two weeks ago, my wrist still feels arthritic. I must be getting old 'cos I started thinking about an EOS-M afterwards. Might wait until Lifepixel has a tutorial on IR conversions and get two of them...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 10, 2012 17:59 |  #10

splbound wrote in post #15103700 (external link)
Great stuff and sounds like a good complement for my Canon's.

Could you elaborate more of the AF speed. This is the one thing that has been bugging me from all the comments on the pre-production one.

Would you be able to rate the AF speed comparitively to another camera?

Yes, please! All of the reviews that I have seen so far, say that AF is very slow. Not true?

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,063 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 10, 2012 18:57 |  #11

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15105453 (external link)
Yes, please! All of the reviews that I have seen so far, say that AF is very slow. Not true?

compared to m43 and sony, it's very slow. You can watch the AF on youtube, it's on par with point and shoots...

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 10, 2012 19:00 |  #12

Hopefully I'm getting one from canon to trial as a lightweight back country landscape 'back'.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 10, 2012 19:40 |  #13

RobDickinson wrote in post #15105673 (external link)
Hopefully I'm getting one from canon to trial as a lightweight back country landscape 'back'.

I'm very interested in the results.

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 10, 2012 20:29 |  #14

cool beans... I've already pre-ordered the zoom kit with flash.. 5 more days until it ships..hopefully

Early Adopter

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,876 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 10, 2012 20:33 |  #15

Skygod, What the heck is EOS-M? I've never heard of it before.
I really don't feel like googling it and wading thru hundreds of results, any of which may or may not explain it in layman's terms.
So, could you just tell me what it is?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

53,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS-M Had a play yesterday. Like it a lot!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.