Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 23:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yongnuo yn-465 Flash powers "on" but won't fire??

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 11, 2012 23:12 |  #1

Hello All,
I just purchased a used yn-465 flash but cannot get it to fire? The flash turns on and all the lights come on as designed, but the flash will not fire via the test button nor when mounted on a camera.

Is it most likely toast are can you reset something on these units?

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 12, 2012 08:22 |  #2

The test button on my YN 560 is hard to operate. You have to press so hard it seems like you are going to push it thru the case.
You can also test a flash by shorting the center "fire" contact on the bottom of the foot with the contact in the slot in the side of the foot. A paper clip or short piece of wire will work for this.
It sounds like you have a defective flash though.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 12, 2012 08:47 |  #3

Ralph III wrote in post #15111092 (external link)
Hello All,
I just purchased a used yn-465 flash but cannot get it to fire? The flash turns on and all the lights come on as designed, but the flash will not fire via the test button nor when mounted on a camera.

Is it most likely toast are can you reset something on these units?

is it securely in the hot shoe? is the dial on ETTL?
charge the batteries ?

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 12, 2012 09:04 |  #4

dedsen wrote in post #15112186 (external link)
The test button on my YN 560 is hard to operate. You have to press so hard it seems like you are going to push it thru the case.
You can also test a flash by shorting the center "fire" contact on the bottom of the foot with the contact in the slot in the side of the foot. A paper clip or short piece of wire will work for this.
It sounds like you have a defective flash though.

Thanks Dale,
Yes, I tried shorting the flash and pushing the test fire button as well as "ettl/manual" setting on and off camera. It turns on and the lights show but will not fire. The capacitor must be bad.

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 12, 2012 09:33 |  #5

That stinks!

I would be sure to change out the batteries to some known good, fresh ones to eliminate a bad battery possibility. One bad battery out of the 4 could run the back panel but not have the current to charge and fire the flash.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 12, 2012 11:30 as a reply to  @ dedsen's post |  #6

Thanks guy,

I tested the flash with some freshly charged Eneloops and then some Duracell batteries. Each battery was tested for a full charge as well.

I tested the unit in Ettl mode and then rolled dial over into every manual setting, as the lights show. This was done on and off two camera's none-the-less. As noted, it lights up but it will not fire no matter how it is tested (on camera, off camera, test button, shorted).

The Seller is a stand up person though. He apologized for the issue and has just issued a full refund. He left it to me to attempt a repair, part it out, or trash it....

Does anyone know where a capacitor can be had for these yn-465 units and the proper manner in which to discharge these units?

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 12, 2012 13:28 as a reply to  @ Ralph III's post |  #7

Ok, I beleive the unit has been discharged properly. It showed 200v to start with but was draining quite quickly on it's on. I then attached some pigtails and a standard lightbulb to the hot wire and ground. The light came on for a split second and now reads between 8-11volts.

Upon taking the flash head apart I found a broken black wire. I however, do not know how to take apart the swivel base so cannot discern where or what that wire attaches to? It came out of the swivel head, must run from batteries or base, with the other end soldered to the circuit board.

Ralph

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 14, 2012 13:08 |  #8

I came across a thread in which you serviced your own Yongnuo flash and wanted to know how you opened the body? ...

Replying your PM here so others can see the answer ...

My YN468 is again disassembled and forgotten in a drawer. :(

My workbench is now cluttered with wood and sawdust, not a safe place for electronic equipment ...

In the capacitor's thread there were no issues in the flash main body so it is not documented in pictures, but I have some clues on how to open the body and the swivel cylindrical turret:

You need to remove the 4 screws on the flash hot-shoe (see here)
Rotate the head 90° as shown in the picture below and you will see two small screws. In my flash, one of the screws was hidden behind a sticker. Remove the screws. Be aware that there are plastic clamps near the screws. You need to press them to unlock the body halves.

Carefully remove the rotating mechanism from the hole formed by the two body halves and you will be able to open the cylinder.

Remember that my flash is the 468 and some differences in the boards may exist, but I'm adding a detail of the black wire of my flashh from an old picture. The exact placement is not visible, but it will give yo an idea on where to look.

Good luck, I can not open the flash until the wood work is over, sorry.

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potn/yn468/IMG_8223_600.jpg

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potn/yn468/IMG_0225_2012.jpg

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2012 17:49 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #9

Hello rpolitsr,

I had already tried the steps you recommend but didn't venture to force the body apart from having already broken one holding tab. There is some double sided tape and a very gummy gel, within the unit, which helps hold the unit together as I discovered.

Anyhow, once you disassemble the flash head you remove the four screws from the foot and then the foot itself. The yn-465 just has some retaining tabs that must be pushed down to allow separation of the plastic body and the swivel head. You just have to carefully force the casings apart in order to separate, due to the internal double sided tape and goo holding it together. Once that is done you can completely disassemble the unit.

The black wire had broken off from where it was soldered in the swivel head with a white wire coming from body. I have since soldered that but am waiting for the plastic tab to dry before reassembly. I super glued it back on.

Hopefully, the unit will work once I put it back together.

HOSTED PHOTO

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2012 18:42 as a reply to  @ Ralph III's post |  #10

Voilà!

The flash appears to be working correctly now in all modes. I'm waiting to see if it powers down after a bit to try it fully on the camera.

The black wire was a little to short and why it broke from the solder. Chinese quality control! After reassembly, I wasn't able to secure the right side of the flash head "circuit board" because of the now even shorter wire. The left side was secured and I put electrical tape on the circuit board as precaution to avoid any movement and possible undesired contact.

I may end up having to replace the wire with a longer one if it doesn't hold up, but for now all is working well.

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

sponsored links

10,648 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yongnuo yn-465 Flash powers "on" but won't fire??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.