Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some help with my Canon 1100D (T3)

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,421 posts
Gallery: 573 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2012 09:47 |  #1

Been using my Canon 1100D since June and been learning a lot. However there are been some issues that i would like someone to explain me:

- Picture Style: Does this changes the pictures in RAW format or only jpeg? I mainly use RAW and some post-processing in Lightroom, what do you recommend to use?

- Auto Lighting Optimizer: With JPEG it is applied the instant the image is taken but with RAW it is applied only with the software DIgital Photo Professional? Do you recommend to use enable this in what situations? With which settings?

- Highlight Tone Priority: Do you recommend using this? In what situations?

- Long exposure noise reduction: Do you recomend putting this on, auto or off? Or just do noise reduction in Photoshop/Lightroom?

- Color space: which is better Adobe RGB or sRGB?

PS: yes i read the manual.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,760 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 17, 2012 13:31 |  #2

Picture style will not affect RAW. But it will affect the LCD preview image.

I don't use either of the next two.

Long exposure noise reduction - when you take a long exposure, say 30secs or more, the sensor heats up and introduces noise. With the long exposure noise reduction, the camera will take a second "black" frame as long as the previous, and then subtract out the created by the sensor heat.

Shoot sRGB unless you know what you are doing.

Canon 5d mkii | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
Olympus EPL7 | Panasonic 20/1.7 | Olympus 45/1.8
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Mobey
103 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 17, 2012 15:29 as a reply to  @ mike_311's post |  #3

Check out this video "getting better pictures with your EOS Rebel"

It is done by a Canon rep and explains a lot of settings like you are asking about.

http://m.youtube.com …eature=plpp&v=M​yds2jxQTXQ (external link)

If the link fails search for rebel videos and B&H photo.

Azathoth
THREAD ­ STARTER
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,421 posts
Gallery: 573 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 17, 2012 16:29 |  #4

Huge thanks, i think i found the video:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Myds2jxQTXQ (external link)

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need some help with my Canon 1100D (T3)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.