Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OK, so ready to upgrade my XSI

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 18, 2012 15:54 |  #16

Nick3434 wrote in post #15139721 (external link)
Top LCD, huge neccessary at this point
Pentaprism viewfinder. It is much better.

I am surprised at how thrilled I am with the 60d over the xsi. Really.

Agree, went from an XSi to 60D, substantial upgrade. Change settings using top LCD while keeping the rear LCD folded in....PRICELESS. Shoot the 60D with good glass...you may not want FF:D

sponsored links
munzzzzzzz
591 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 18, 2012 15:55 |  #17

watson76 wrote in post #15139777 (external link)
One thing I have noticed after extensive research is that the 7D sensor seems to be much better than the other 18mp sensors even though they are noted to be the same. in fact dcwatch has a good comparison of the 7D and 5D Mark II and there is very little between the two.

This doesn't shock me much. I wouldn't really consider the 5DII an upgrade from the 7D... it's just full frame. If you don't need a FF body (and I don't think you do) I would have a hard time recommending a 5DII over a 7D.

Edit: Getting my posts confused, I was also commenting on a thread where the OP was into sports. I take back my comment about not needing a full frame body... :)

If you understand what a full frame body would do for you, and have the glass to take advantage of it, it's certainly worth considering, but if you don't specifically need what full frame has to offer, and/or most of your lenses are non-L or even EF-S, the 7D may be a better option.

6D | 40mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200mm f/4L IS | 580EXII | 2x PCB Einstein | Various Modifiers

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
2,641 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 18, 2012 15:57 |  #18

One thing I have noticed after extensive research is that the 7D sensor seems to be much better than the other 18mp sensors even though they are noted to be the same. in fact dcwatch has a good comparison of the 7D and 5D Mark II and there is very little between the two.

I haven't noticed that at all from minimal research. The sensors are the same.... the difference is the AF

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2012 16:27 |  #19

I would look into Canon CLP and get a refurb 5d MII for portraits or stills.

If sports is your thing get a 7D.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 18, 2012 17:14 |  #20

That's news to me, i would say.. more often than not, the 7D has slightly-worse performance (if there are any differences) than the 60D/T4i/T3i and maybe even T2i.

Kel
Gear

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 18, 2012 18:10 |  #21

One thing I have noticed after extensive research is that the 7D sensor seems to be much better than the other 18mp sensors even though they are noted to be the same. in fact dcwatch has a good comparison of the 7D and 5D Mark II and there is very little between the

some "research" !!
As crazy as it seems there are people who think the image quality of the XSi/450D is better than the 7D !
http://darwinwiggett.w​ordpress.com/2009/11/1​1/the-canon-7d/ (external link)

firefighter4u
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 18, 2012 18:47 |  #22

What is the XSi limiting you to do? I upgraded from that same body to a 7d. I did it mostly for shooting sports, but I do some portrait work also. The image quality of the XSi is pretty good imo. if the only lens you have is the 50 1.4, I would seriously consider spending that money on something like a 70-200 or even a 24-70 lens. But to answer your original question, If you are set on upgrading a body, then I would go for the 5dii anyday of the week.....

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 18, 2012 22:21 as a reply to  @ firefighter4u's post |  #23

I would personally never shoot a Rebel body again. Why? The lack of a second control dial. It's virtually impossible to control shutter and aperture at the same time using a Rebel body.

I really think you should consider a 60D. If it were me, a touch screen would mean nothing compared to a second control dial.

If you go for a 5D2, the better controls will also be a godsend. :cool: (not to mention it's great for portraits)

I started with a 550D and was fairly good with it, but it was a pain to shoot models with changing lighting conditions. When I went to a 5D3 I was amazed at just how much easier it was to shoot with dual controls. I went from using mostly AV mode (due to lack of ability to change shutter and aperture at same time) to shooting 100% in manual mode.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 19, 2012 17:11 as a reply to  @ Gregg.Siam's post |  #24

I ordered the 5D2 from Amazon, hopefully it exceeds my expectations for $1800 it better ;)

firefighter4u
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 19, 2012 19:32 |  #25

i wish this forum had a "like" button"... lol

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 20, 2012 11:19 as a reply to  @ firefighter4u's post |  #26

5D Mark II arrived this morning from Amazon. Almost forgot to buy compact flash. Bottom line it's a sexy body with a great viewfinder but I am not in all honesty finding an appreciable difference in IQ between it and my XSI at low ISO, so being the cheap bargain hunting bastard I am I am sending it back to Amazon. I guess that at least gets the whole APC vs FF mystery out of my system once and for all. Now I might rethink a newer Rebel or 60D...

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 20, 2012 11:31 |  #27

I would use it more then a few hours lol. Do some testing. Use good glass. I guarantee the 5D has a lot better IQ then any cropper.

Kmccarthy
58 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 20, 2012 12:58 |  #28

Try taking a low light shot at 3200 ISO. You will be hooked! The 5DII is an awesome body. I've had an xSI, 7d, 5dii and now a 5diii. I think the IQ of the 5Dii is The best bang for your buck.

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 20, 2012 12:59 |  #29

Daship wrote in post #15146855 (external link)
I would use it more then a few hours lol. Do some testing. Use good glass. I guarantee the 5D has a lot better IQ then any cropper.

Honestly Id rather not fall in love. Rather save my $1800 and be happy with what I got or get something cheaper. The IQ is great , but the truth is IQ is pretty impressive on any body these days if you ask me. I just needed to satisfy my curiously about the mark ii and FF...

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 20, 2012 13:06 |  #30

You WILL see a difference.

I went from the XSi to the 5Dc then to the 7D. I can tell you that for me the XSi is NOT better than a 7d for IQ. The original 5D beats them both. In fact I plan on picking up another 5d just for doing non-action shots.

If you think the 5DII is similar in IQ to the XSi then you are doing something wrong.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

sponsored links

3,983 views & 0 likes for this thread
OK, so ready to upgrade my XSI
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.