Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 15:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first wedding job, need advise

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 18, 2012 15:28 |  #1

Hi,

I got a few couples asking me to photograph at thier wedding, so far i've turned them all down. I guess it's the fear of not getting it right (you only got one shot.. can't ask them to re-marry) and the high expactations from everyone.

But the other day i said yes, i feel confident both in myself and my equipment (nope, wont use the fisheye much.. promise :) ) and the fact that it's a small wedding with around 25 guests.

Now.. my only question is... the mirror, it makes quite the sound on each exposure. Do you guys warn them upfront that it might be a problem if it's all silent in the church.. or how do you go about?

Thanks in advanced.

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

sponsored links
amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 18, 2012 16:24 |  #2

You can use a longer lens and stand further back from the couple when possible. I love the 5D3's silent shutter mode for the ceremony.

On another note, have you thought about a backup camera? Renting a 5D3 will solve the noise issue as well as ensure you are covered in the event of a camera breakdown.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 18, 2012 16:41 |  #3

I use a 5d classic which makes a clunk.

I've never warned my clients, and they never complain. I think it's accepted now as part of what happens when you have a wedding. Now--it's also true that for certain moments, I just won't shoot--e.g. during a prayer or something (even though I'm not religious). It's also true that I tend to be more deliberative about shooting--I don't spray and pray.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

emdzey01
349 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 18, 2012 16:46 |  #4

The 60D's mirror slap is nothing compared to a full frame shutter.

Don't worry about it, just don't rapid fire :)

my name is mjay.

Click for my transactions as a seller on POTN

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 18, 2012 16:52 |  #5

120+ weddings, now on full frame, no-one's even mentioned the noise. Well actually when I took photos at a friends wedding he noticed my camera with a 70-200 on high speed shooting during his first kiss, but no paying customers.

I say don't worry about it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

awad
Goldmember
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 18, 2012 22:09 |  #6

definitely don't worry about it. no one will notice it, they expect your camera to make that noise.

http://www.redfieldpho​to.com (external link)
http://www.theredfield​blog.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 18, 2012 23:41 |  #7

I wouldn't worry about. Make sure you get a backup camera though.

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 19, 2012 03:30 |  #8

Don't have a backup camera... could borrow the son's 550D though.
I got the 60D and 85mm.. should be an okay distance, doing some 50mm after the ceremony.

Thanks for all the replies.

ps. WTH Tim.. 120+ weddings? You must be rich as crazy! :)

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

bent ­ toe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 26, 2012 08:33 |  #9

awad wrote in post #15141122 (external link)
definitely don't worry about it. no one will notice it, they expect your camera to make that noise.

EVERYBODY noticed it.. lol, they had a guy filming the wedding.. all they heard on the film was the sound from my shutter/mirror.

But they were satisfied anyway.. here are a few shots.

IMAGE: http://24.media.tumblr.com/773437bb210223517654492369fdb584/tumblr_mf4dh0UDrx1rtbm54o1_500.jpg

IMAGE: http://24.media.tumblr.com/f6bf800d5eb8f1111c973c5391dc8e3b/tumblr_mf6a2haLga1rtbm54o1_500.jpg

IMAGE: http://25.media.tumblr.com/d7fbfdcf218d2fd60781ab945c93b097/tumblr_meyp6nzaF71rtbm54o1_500.jpg

IMAGE: http://25.media.tumblr.com/a04056d6c26b4f1a03bed138c52a9244/tumblr_mf161t4ug11rtbm54o1_500.jpg

X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

CoRNDoG ­ R6
338 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 26, 2012 10:57 |  #10

Nice job! And congrats on your first wedding too. ;) I know shutter sounds can be loud but so far, like others have mentioned, no one has complained about it. I usually notice it when I attend weddings other photographers do, but I think that's just more because I'm aware of it as well. :)

Robert
Canon 5DII | Canon 7D | Canon T1i | Canon 70-200mm 4L IS | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 17-40mm 4L | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro | Canon 50mm 1.4

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 26, 2012 11:39 |  #11

Now.. my only question is... the mirror, it makes quite the sound on each exposure. Do you guys warn them upfront that it might be a problem if it's all silent in the church.. or how do you go about?

I use the 5D3, which has the 'silent' shutter feature. I shoot with that on until family formals. I also bring it to consultations and show them how quiet it is.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

1,817 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first wedding job, need advise
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.