Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Oct 2012 (Friday) 01:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hope I didn't ruin my G11 - car wreck

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 19, 2012 01:32 |  #1

I was in a car wreck tonight on the way home from work. Drunk driver pulled a left turn right in front of me when I was doing about 40MPH.

No way to avoid it, I t-boned him real hard, so hard he spun a 360 and crashed into a car stopped at the light.

I went over to make sure he was OK, and as soon as he opened his door, all I could smell was booze.

OK, I need to document this whole thing. It was pouring rain. I had my G11 with me. I debated, no pics, save the camera, get pics, risk the camera. I chose the latter. I took a bunch of pics until the face of the lens was so wet that the pics were just a blur.

Went back to my truck with camera still on, got a rag, wiped it off as best as I could, went out and took more pics, then back to truck to wipe it again. I cleaned as much water off the lens as I could before shutting it off. Screen got soaked, everything.

Finished up with police etc., managed to drive my smashed truck home and opened camera back up to thoroughly dry off as much as I could. It seems OK, it looks dry now and I downloaded the pics. It is sitting on my desk, screen open to continue to dry off, if needed. I just opened it again - everything looks dry. Sure hope I didn't mess up my camera. Oh well, I have my G1X!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
ALH
204 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 19, 2012 01:39 |  #2

You can buy another camera - be thankful that you are OK ;)

jmckayak
446 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Oct 19, 2012 14:47 |  #3

Your photos could save you a bundle. I was cited for pulling out in front of a truck when he was 50 feet away. (more like 700) Photos proved it. Saved me a fine and a BIG jack up for insurance. Those '8x10 color glossy's' were very convincing.

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 19, 2012 17:27 |  #4

The main thing is you are alive to take photos. That and everyone survived. The drunk should have his license permanently revoked, do HARD time, forced to attend AA, permanent probation so if caught driving back to jail and life-time of community service helping prople injured by drunk drivers, IMO.

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 19, 2012 21:42 |  #5

That was some challenge, Bob. Glad you're okay. Try ziplock bag and rice to pull moisture from your 11.

kevan's lens (external link)

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 19, 2012 23:05 as a reply to  @ Kevan's post |  #6

Bob,

Sorry to hear of your accident and the whole experience through it. The good out of it as others have pointed out is that you are well and will go on.

As for the G11, maybe it will turn out okay by itself. What I would do is remove the battery and card, then put it in a closet for a few days with a Damp-rid pouch a few feet away. That will suck out the ambient humidity and with a little bit of circulating air flow -- hopefully it will take out some of the inner condensation/moisture from inside the camera.
-- I cannot say this is a proven method, but it seems right. Others on the forum have advised against this approach, but did not say why IIRC.

If the G11 does become quirky or less than perfect, I think we're only talking about $150-200 for a 3rd party service to bring it back to health.
Hell, ask them for a deal/discount on both your cameras.

Best wishes to you.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 19, 2012 23:37 as a reply to  @ CarloY's post |  #7

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Camera seems to be ok. I think the saving grace was wiping it as dry as possible before retracting the lens, and then opening it when I got home and very thoroughly wiping it again and letting it sit on my desk overnight with the screen open.

I took a few shots this morning and it is functioning fine. I kept it in the truck all day and tried it again tonight - all seems fine.

Here's a shot I took this morning, dry camera, daylight and a clear lens:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

If the pic doesn't show it's because of my home hosted server being overloaded...... Guess I should do something about that.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 20, 2012 02:33 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #8

Bob 'sYU,

Great! Hope it's continuing that way.
At least you have some pics for the current week's Challenge.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 20, 2012 22:56 as a reply to  @ CarloY's post |  #9

And now another question comes to mind......

I wonder why I didn't take out and use the umbrella I always keep in my glove compartment...:o:o Hmmmmmm.

Didn't even think about it until today. And, I had to take it out to get my insurance papers for the police and I still didn't think to use it at the time.....

Smart like rubber boot huh?

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 20, 2012 23:04 |  #10

It's always good to have a camera in the car / truck for just such occasion. You are documenting soon after the accident happened. This is a good thing. I'd suggest maybe getting a cheaper camera to carry around with you and next time (hopefully there wont be a next time) keep the G11 in the vehicle while your taking pictures with an easily replaceable digital camera.

Glad you're OK. Those drunk drivers are a menace. So are the texters. Beware!

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 20, 2012 23:42 |  #11

CameraMan wrote in post #15148594 (external link)
I'd suggest maybe getting a cheaper camera to carry around with you and next time (hopefully there wont be a next time) keep the G11 in the vehicle while your taking pictures with an easily replaceable digital camera.

I actually do have a cheap replaceable camera in the truck at all times. It is a Casio Exilim. It takes ok pics during the day but in low light or dark it is awful. It was my work project camera that I used to take basic shots of projects I was quoting. Always daytime pics so it worked fine. Quality wasn't important there.

Then I bought the G1X so my G11 became my in truck camera, but I leave the Casio there too. Then there is my iphone camera and my blackberry camera. Oh! And my Pro1 is sitting somewhere in the back seat too!

So I'm not lacking in the "take a picture" department! :lol::lol:

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

Layyz
901 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 22, 2012 17:13 |  #12

Ouch.. Hope you, your car and camera make a recovery..

My Flickr (external link)

essvee
115 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 22, 2012 22:25 as a reply to  @ Layyz's post |  #13

First of all, glad you're OK. Cars and cameras can be replaced. Second, you can be forgiven for forgetting the umbrella because, after all, you were just in a violent accident! Amazing that you had the presence of mind to get the accident shots! Those could be *extremely* valuable as has been pointed out before.

One thing that comes to mind (sitting here in my living room in front of a warm fire, mind you, as opposed to on the road sitting in mangled metal), whenever I've been concerned about moisture exposure on my gear the first thing I do is pull the battery. Then get it in front of a fan. Not too close, so as not to force moisture in. I'd consider a hair dryer on low heat from a t least 2-3 feet, again to provide drying air movement but not so close as to push moisture in crevices.

sponsored links

2,535 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hope I didn't ruin my G11 - car wreck
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.