Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Oct 2012 (Saturday) 22:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Carry-on for camera gear, 17.3" laptop and travel documents?

vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 20, 2012 22:44 |  #1

I made a similar thread on FM and was hoping to get better luck here. I am flying Lufthansa from USA to India via Frankfurt and back after a month's time in India. They got a weight limit of 8kg (~17.5 lb) and seems the best way would be a backpack (non roller). I am looking at the Lowepro Compurover, the lowepro DSLR video backpack and the ThinkTank ShapeShifter. Anyone have alternative options or suggestions?

I want to take a 17.3" HP pavilion DV9000, a gripped 7D, 24-105 L, 100mm L macro, Rokinon 14mm and a 70-200 IS II if there is still space/weight to spare along with travel documents. Any help will be deeply appreciated!

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

sponsored links
lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 20, 2012 23:01 |  #2

I think you pushing the weight limit with a 3.6kg notebook and the 70-200 IS II both of these are already 5.1kg, it looks like it'll need to be the shapeshifter. The notebook is a bit of a dead weight any chance of going lighter and smaller.

I don't think the weight will be an issue, just bring along a thin jacket with large pockets (aka photographers vest) just in case they get narky with the weight allowance, then you can can carry some stuff on the person.

If your wanting to travel light the grip is a waste of time and the 24-105 can double up as a macro or you could use an an extension tube with it.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

vsg28
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 20, 2012 23:09 |  #3

I can take the laptop out and do the weighing of everything else as I am allowed to carry a laptop case separate to the actual carry-on. It would be nice to be able to carry 1 bag which is why I ask here. So essentially the 8kg will be sans laptop, sorry for missing that info earlier.

I do have a Canon vest, that's a good last minute idea!

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 20, 2012 23:11 |  #4

Are you certain those weight allowances are accurate? Most international flights originating from and returning to the US have larger weight allowances.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

vsg28
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 20, 2012 23:12 |  #5

I called up Lufthansa to confirm, some European flight carriers are a real b***h.

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 21, 2012 14:01 |  #6

I know what you mean about the %^$# weight allowances. I just spent two weeks in Kenya and I had to severely limit my "gear" according to the web page I looked at before I went. Know what really p'd me off was - they didn't even weigh the carry-on luggage, either coming or going (KLM). My question is - why do you need a 17" laptop? If you are simply going to use it to preview your images and download them, then why not look around for a second hand smaller one, say 10-12" or so. This would probably knock a kilo or more off your weight and would probably be easy on the wallet. I have an ASUS Netbook that I bought a couple of years ago - they don't make them anymore - but it is very lightweight. Not sure what you would find out there for light-weight units, but, if it were me, I would certainly consider something smaller and lighter. Look at it this way, for every kilo you can cut in the weight of the "laptop", that is more camera gear you can take.

If you are taking the 24-105, I would not bother with the 14mm - I took both my 24-105 and my 16-35 to Africa and the 16-35 was never used as the 24mm end of the 24-105 was quite suitable for wide-angle - I took 2 or 3 shot panos when required. I would take a flash and a "flash extender" (Better Beamer) rather than the 16-35 next time. If the 70-200 is the longest lens you have, then I would try and fit in a tele-extender, either the 1.4x or the 2.0x if you have them and/or can afford them. I took my 100-400 and even then I found it to be lacking for "far away" shots. My 2x worked okay, but I was restricted to manual focusing. I am not sure how you are travelling once you get there, or what you are going to shoot, but let us know and I may have some other ideas - if you are interested. I went to Africa mainly for the wildlife, but if you are going for scenery and buildings and not so much animals then that is a bit different. HTH

WesternGuy

vsg28
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 21, 2012 14:16 |  #7

My 17.3" is my workhorse for a lot of things other than just photography, and that is why I need it. I need the real estate :(

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 21, 2012 14:17 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

vsg28 wrote in post #15148527 (external link)
I made a similar thread on FM and was hoping to get better luck here. I am flying Lufthansa from USA to India via Frankfurt and back after a month's time in India. They got a weight limit of 8kg (~17.5 lb) and seems the best way would be a backpack (non roller). I am looking at the Lowepro Compurover, the lowepro DSLR video backpack and the ThinkTank ShapeShifter. Anyone have alternative options or suggestions?

I want to take a 17.3" HP pavilion DV9000, a gripped 7D, 24-105 L, 100mm L macro, Rokinon 14mm and a 70-200 IS II if there is still space/weight to spare along with travel documents. Any help will be deeply appreciated!

The bigger question you need to answer is are you willing to lug all that gear and weight around for 1 month?

vsg28
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 21, 2012 14:27 |  #9

I will be lugging it very little, it is mostly going to be for the journey to-and-back, and a short 2-3 day trip elsewhere. For most of the other time, it will be just the 7D and 24-105 L.

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 22, 2012 09:48 |  #10

vsg28 wrote in post #15150463 (external link)
My 17.3" is my workhorse for a lot of things other than just photography, and that is why I need it. I need the real estate :(

I completely understand. My small one is limited by the memory max (4GB) and a small HD, so I can't do too much, but, it isn't the reason I bought it. Hope you have a good trip. :)

WesternGuy

tangfj
85 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 22, 2012 10:19 |  #11

What about the Think Tank Streetwalker HardDrive or f-stop Loka or Tilopa? I personally have the f-stop Tilopa and it would definitely fit all of your gear and then some but you'd probably be pushing up against the weight limit if they get nitpicky at the airport. You could also check out Clik Elite bags as it seems like they have a good following on this board.

5D MkIII | 16-35L II | 35L | 40 pancake | 50L | Sigma 85 1.4 | 70-300L | 430ex II | 270ex

vsg28
THREAD ­ STARTER
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 22, 2012 10:23 |  #12

I will definitely check out those bags now, thanks for the recommendation. Till now, I am thinking between the Lowepro Compurover, the Lowepro fastpack 350 and the ThinkTank ShapeShifter.

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 22, 2012 10:39 as a reply to  @ WesternGuy's post |  #13

As said above, on international flights hand luggage is usually not being weighed, but it can happen .

As a rule, you should always make sure that your cabin luggage is not larger than the allowed max size, preferably a tad smaller - the smaller it is, the less likely it is to attract attention .

8kg are a joke, considering most trolleys are 3-5kg empty, and the check in agents are aware of that; weight is not really their concern, but locker space in the cabin sometimes is, depending on the flight .
On full flights, they will often try to move the larger carry-on bags into the cargo bay .

If it's too heavy, have your valuable stuff in an extra bag inside the carry-on , just in case .

Oh, and be calm and polite at check-in . ;)

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 22, 2012 14:49 |  #14

I have first hand experience on a couple of these points:
1) i fly through FRA a few times a year, if you are on lufthansa you can (generally) get away with the US standard of a carry-on and a small bag, so if you want to split the camera gear and computer that could be an option. Even when coming back on LH i have not gotten problems (but the small local european airlines like Vueling, they will catch you on that second bag....)

2) i've been using a shapeshifter for nearly 2 years now, both with camera gear and without (i think it makes a great work backpack, pockets keep everything organized), so i really like the bag. But a few things. Based on your gear list i think you could fit all that but it will be heavy. The SS is an 'ok' backpack for walking when loaded, it's not like the f-stops which are better suited for walking long distances, but it will work in a pinch. if you need a little more capacity you can also get a speedbelt and use the waistpack attachments.

But i'd repeat what others say and think about the giant laptop and the big lens, that's a lot of weight and the SS will not carry that much weight comfortably. Remember that FRA is a really big airport, i've had 30+ minute walks before carrying a pack and a carry-on. it's not fun. and remember that all of your accessories (ipad, phone, power-adaptors, batteries, bottle of water) will only add to the weight!

another option is a pack more suited for carry like a Kiboko, the only concession there is that those packs don't make good walk-around packs (IMHO), the SS actually makes a good walk-around pack at your destination as well, especially with the shoulder clips so you can wear the camera ready for shooting.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

Tzetsin
197 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 22, 2012 15:07 as a reply to  @ minhi's post |  #15

My Shapeshifter and I have been around the world more than a few times, it carries everything I need. You will pay for the wieght though, and not with cash. The damn thing will carry SO much and stay SO small that you will be tempted to fill it to the max, which will end up being 45 ish pounds (for me)

45 pounds over the 30 hours it takes to get to india will make you sore and hate life... but its only 2 (ish) days out of your trip. Its worth it to pack that thing to the max, even if it kills you.

I can get:
17" Alienware laptop w/power cable
Intuos 4 tablet with 2 pens and usb cable
1 x Canon 7D
1 x Canon 5D2
70-200mm F2.8 IS II
24-70mm F2.8
16-35mm F2.8
85mm F1.2
1 x set of Kenko ext tubes
1 x 580EX II flash with 8 AA batteries
4 x Canon camera batteries
6 x 32 gig CF cards
Wallet of filters
(paper) note pad
Couple pens
Asus transformer Prime tablet pc W/usb cable and power brick
1 x Computer mouse
Passport
Iphone w/power cable and brick
2 x black rapid straps

I'm sure there is more random crap in there, but thats off the top of my head. It has fit either in the overhead compartment, or under the seat in front of me in every flight i ever had, I've never been questioned at the gate, nor at security over the weight of it (its way way over the official wieght)

The bag has been to:
Canada
USA
Germany
Romania
Turkey
Korea
Japan
China
Philippines

And it still looks brand new.

Its an excellent walk around bag once you get there too, very light, holds anything 100-400mm and smaller with ease, Can zip up to less than 4 inches, when you have just the laptop in it... Its truly THE go to bag for travel IMO.

Canon camera, Canon lenses.

sponsored links

3,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Carry-on for camera gear, 17.3" laptop and travel documents?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.