Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Oct 2012 (Wednesday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

To T4i, or not to T4i, that is the question

Steenos
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 15:27 |  #16

Not sure if this helps or not but here's a pic I took yesterday with the 40mm pancake lens. All my time is on point and shoot. This is my first DSLR. I am very pleased. It's very nice to be able to move through the menu's with the touch screen.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://i.imgur.com/qrW​R4.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Gear (Hopefully to expand in the future): Canon T4i | 40mm pancake lens

sponsored links
wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 26, 2012 16:15 |  #17

BrickR wrote in post #15172752 (external link)
Just make sure you do the proper "due diligence" on understanding the AF in video mode of the T4i. On paper it sounds great, but watch demonstrations to make sure you understand how good it really is. Would suck to spend more on the T4i and then find out it isn't the AF you were expecting. Just some forewarning. (Same goes for the burst rate of the T4i)
I thought it was awesome when seeing the spec sheet, but watching video reviews/demos I thought "good on paper, not quite the same in practice"

You seem to be really looking into options well, so I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get :)

This is true- about the AF for video mode.. It's not perfect- but if you can't manually focus worth a darn- it's probably still better than anything. But you still have the option of turning it off- at which point- it's no worse than any other Canon DSLR. The best thing the OP can do is go to a store that has a t4i and try it out...
Not sure about what you are saying about the burst mode on the t4i- I've not seen issues- but then and again- I know people might handicap a camera by turning on features that slow things down- just to show that there's a problem with it (when it is just when you have another particular feature enabled ). Most of which I've seen have references to resetting the camera back to defaults, shooting too high of an iso, turning off HTP, properly formatting the SD card, and choosing a good fast SD card. High ISO noise reduction and long exposure noise reduction could also negatively impact fps..

On mine, when I tried it- without any adjustment beyond the norm- and with a good card- it just clicked away and away- no noticeable slowdown- and I rattled away for a few seconds- longer than I typically burst anyways. But these cameras are Rebels- not the higher end cameras like a 7D or 5D3...

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 26, 2012 16:24 |  #18

Yeah, that's interesting. It looks like the T4i buffer fills up pretty quickly, but clears quickly too. 60D shares a similar RAW continuous rate with the T4i, but the T4i is full after 6 shots. The 60D is full after 15 shots. 4 seconds after full, the T4i can shoot ~7 more shots, but the 60D is only good for ~4 shots after 4 seconds...

So, there are some considerations there. The T4i really cleans out its buffer nicely though. If they introduce a 70D, it may start bouncing some stats off of 7D territory...

(performance data source: http://www.imaging-resource.com …canon-t4i/canon-t4iA6.HTM (external link))

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 26, 2012 18:36 as a reply to  @ waterrockets's post |  #19

There is a guy who goes by the username "R2D2" on DP Review that recently bought a T4i/650D. He bought it as a back-up to his 50D but he likes the T4i/650D so much that it is now the other way around: the 50D is now the 'back-up'! Check this thread for some pretty awesome BIF shots: http://forums.dpreview​.com/forums/post/41939​641 (external link) And this is another of his threads about the T4i/650D: http://forums.dpreview​.com …33532#forum-post-41977696 (external link)

In the previously cited Lens Rentals story, the T4i/650D shows to have better AF than the 50D, 60D, 7D, 5D Mk2, and was just as good as the 1Ds Mk2! http://www.lensrentals​.com …ity-part-3b-canon-cameras (external link)

I can't recall if anyone has mentioned the new touch screen interface - a first for DSLRs, and it looks to be pretty handy to use.

Here is a video which demonstrates the new Continuous Video AF. It's not perfect, but not bad either: http://www.youtube.com …ture=youtube_gd​ata_player (external link)

T3i compared to T4i: http://www.lightandmat​ter.org …t3i-whats-the-difference/ (external link)

Last but not least, when it comes to lens selection, be sure to get the new 18-135 mm IS STM lens which is available with the T4i/650D as a "Kit". This lens was recently reviewed by Photozone and they gave it 5 Stars for 'Price/Performance'. Complete review here: http://www.photozone.d​e …776-canon_18135_3556stmis (external link)

Good luck with your shopping!

Yogi

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

fsumom
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 26, 2012 19:35 |  #20

I chose the t3i!

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 26, 2012 20:06 |  #21

Besides the added features mentioned above, the T4i also sounds more "serious" as for the shutter sound. It has a new shutter compared to the previous rebels, and it does not have the typical shutter whine. I like it a lot more.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 26, 2012 20:29 |  #22

gabebalazs wrote in post #15173846 (external link)
Besides the added features mentioned above, the T4i also sounds more "serious" as for the shutter sound. It has a new shutter compared to the previous rebels, and it does not have the typical shutter whine. I like it a lot more.

lol, yeah, I never noticed that my T2i sounds like a squeaky mousetrap, but when I got a proper shutter sound out of my 1D3 I was like O_o

Not a big deal though, I survived over two years with that as my only shutter sound :)

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 26, 2012 20:35 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

I went through some of these arguments and finally went with the 7D:p

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

diableri
148 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 26, 2012 21:09 |  #24

For what it's worth, most of the things mentioned in the thread seemed valid to me while I was shopping a few months ago. I went with the t4i. Completely happy. It was between it, the 60D and a t3i for me with a tiny bit of consideration given to a 7D. In the end, the size/weight won be over since I planned to buy a FF later.

I will say that I am pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the touchscreen and would have bet confidently that it would have been meaningless to me before the purchase.

Naraly
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 27, 2012 21:22 |  #25

wayne.robbins wrote in post #15171176 (external link)
...The t4i has a LOT of useful features that other Rebels have NEVER had.
...- the T4i was more accurate than the other Rebels, and even more accurate than some of the more "Pro" bodies - like the 60D/7D.. ( I have a 7D- and I noted that the t4i is more accurate myself- with nearly every lens I own )...

:thumbsup: So there are good things about it :) I've been listening to the wrong people.
I noticed HDR is also a feature on the T4i, not sure how well that will serve. Going to check out the other features when I go "play" with it at the store to see how it feels.

waterrockets wrote in post #15171490 (external link)
Yeah, I think the cross-type AF points would push the T4i over the hump past the T3i (for stills) if you're buying new.

Regarding differences with the 60D, keep in mind that there are more custom settings in the 60D, it's more weatherproof, and a much tougher (durable) body. Also, the rear dial can be used while shooting, but the touchscreen (T4i) can't.

I didn't think about that. Not being able to change ISO, shutter speed or anything while shooting with the touch screen... I guess it's something I could get used to though. Since I'm not even used to using a dial while shooting. Maybe it would be a pain afterwards..

BrickR wrote in post #15172752 (external link)
Just make sure you do the proper "due diligence" on understanding the AF in video mode of the T4i. On paper it sounds great, but watch demonstrations to make sure you understand how good it really is.

Yea if I choose it it won't really be just for the AF because I have seen video reviews about it and it doesn't amaze me:p.

Steenos wrote in post #15172994 (external link)
Not sure if this helps or not but here's a pic I took yesterday with the 40mm pancake lens. All my time is on point and shoot. This is my first DSLR. I am very pleased. It's very nice to be able to move through the menu's with the touch screen.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://i.imgur.com/qrW​R4.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Nice shot :). I've been reading a lot of posts in this forum mentioning that pancake lens, I will have look into that.

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15173577 (external link)
There is a guy who goes by the username "R2D2" on DP Review that recently bought a T4i/650D. He bought it as a back-up to his 50D but he likes the T4i/650D so much that it is now the other way around: the 50D is now the 'back-up'! Check this thread for some pretty awesome BIF shots: http://forums.dpreview​.com/forums/post/41939​641 (external link) And this is another of his threads about the T4i/650D: http://forums.dpreview​.com …33532#forum-post-41977696 (external link)

Last but not least, when it comes to lens selection, be sure to get the new 18-135 mm IS STM lens which is available with the T4i/650D as a "Kit". This lens was recently reviewed by Photozone and they gave it 5 Stars for 'Price/Performance'. Complete review here: http://www.photozone.d​e …776-canon_18135_3556stmis (external link)

Good luck with your shopping!

Yogi

Thanks :) If I get the T4i I will definitely choose the 18-135 mm IS STM lens, I wasn't sure about it at first, but now hearing so many recommendations for it, it seems like the best option so far.

fsumom wrote in post #15173764 (external link)
I chose the t3i!

why?

gabebalazs wrote in post #15173846 (external link)

waterrockets wrote in post #15173891 (external link)
lol, yeah, I never noticed that my T2i sounds like a squeaky mousetrap, but when I got a proper shutter sound out of my 1D3 I was like O_o

Not a big deal though, I survived over two years with that as my only shutter sound :)

Lol I also thought it was normal when I had the T2i! I didn't mind the sound though. I'm eager to see how the T4i sounds now.

Brain Mechanic wrote in post #15173907 (external link)
I went through some of these arguments and finally went with the 7D:p

Why?

diableri wrote in post #15173979 (external link)
For what it's worth, most of the things mentioned in the thread seemed valid to me while I was shopping a few months ago. I went with the t4i. Completely happy. It was between it, the 60D and a t3i for me with a tiny bit of consideration given to a 7D. In the end, the size/weight won be over since I planned to buy a FF later.
I will say that I am pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the touchscreen and would have bet confidently that it would have been meaningless to me before the purchase.

:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 27, 2012 22:40 |  #26

Naraly wrote in post #15176930 (external link)
:I didn't think about that. Not being able to change ISO, shutter speed or anything while shooting with the touch screen... I guess it's something I could get used to though. Since I'm not even used to using a dial while shooting. Maybe it would be a pain afterwards..

Yeah, the dial is not something you miss until you get used to it. Staying with a Rebel, you'll be fine, but it's something that annoys me about my T2i now that I have a 1D.

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 27, 2012 23:53 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Why?

I shoot a lot of wildlife, birds to be exactly. The 7D is a better camera overall.

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,141 views & 0 likes for this thread
To T4i, or not to T4i, that is the question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.