Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Oct 2012 (Thursday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon powershot G10 lens replacement

Robin ­ Bennett
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 25, 2012 10:16 |  #1

I have a power shot G10 with a scratched lens. I want to replace the lens myself. Does anyone know of a video showing the procedure? I'm told there were some online a while ago but can't find any. I'm very capable of handling this type of thing but you know how it is, it's always good to get advice from someone who's done it already. In case you're wondering, I don't have anywhere near the necessary funds to pay a repair shop. I've also seen posts on how to make the scratch have very little impact on image quality but this one does nonetheless show up on some pictures.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,615 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 26, 2012 07:31 |  #2

There is a video for lens replacement on the G10 at http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=_4PGAbyJzCU (external link). The downside is it is in German but beyond that it is well done and likely easy to follow.

The lens assembly is available at http://www.darntoothys​am.com …era-Lens-Repair-Part.html (external link). It is $80 whereas Canon gets $180 for the part. It also can be found on eBay for significantly less.

Good luck.

eclipsechaser
95 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 26, 2012 07:48 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #3

Best of luck with that. It would be great to see your progress posted up as a thread.
Having just got my first minor scratch myself I would be real interesting reading.

By the way there are often g10 cameras sold for parts on eBay along with low bid auctions.

Robin ­ Bennett
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 28, 2012 18:45 |  #4

Thanks very much John, for the link. I just watched it through with the sound off and I recon I can follow it. Shame I don't have the whizzy screwdriver he's using. I already bought a new lens from Singapore on ebay. It's been sat here for weeks and I was about to give up on getting a reply and go it alone without any brief. The video will be a great help.

Thanks eclipsechaser, I did look at a few auctions for spares but they all had scratched or siezed lenses so bought the next best thing on ebay. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm nervously looking forward to it.

eclipsechaser
95 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2012 12:03 |  #5

Robin Bennett wrote in post #15301839 (external link)
Thanks very much John, for the link. I just watched it through with the sound off and I recon I can follow it. Shame I don't have the whizzy screwdriver he's using. I already bought a new lens from Singapore on ebay. It's been sat here for weeks and I was about to give up on getting a reply and go it alone without any brief. The video will be a great help.

Thanks eclipsechaser, I did look at a few auctions for spares but they all had scratched or siezed lenses so bought the next best thing on ebay. I'll let you know how I get on. I'm nervously looking forward to it.

Good luck with that. How much was the lens

Robin ­ Bennett
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 29, 2012 14:51 |  #6

The lens was £42.99 incl postage from HK. UK Customs & Excise didn't charge anything. Here's the link to the item. http://www.ebay.co.uk …_trksid=p3984.m​1497.l2649 (external link)

I'll let you know if it's all OK when fitted.

avarice08
386 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2012 14:14 |  #7

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this Robin.

Be good to see some step by step images as you do it, if possible!

Rob

twitter: @snappygear

eclipsechaser
95 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 03, 2012 04:20 |  #8

Robin Bennett wrote in post #15305046 (external link)
The lens was £42.99 incl postage from HK. UK Customs & Excise didn't charge anything. Here's the link to the item. http://www.ebay.co.uk …_trksid=p3984.m​1497.l2649 (external link)

I'll let you know if it's all OK when fitted.

Blimey that's cheap. For that price it rally makes it sound worth it. Really looking forwards to your write up.

eclipsechaser
95 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 03, 2012 04:20 as a reply to  @ eclipsechaser's post |  #9

In fact I clan see this becoming a sticky.

Robin ­ Bennett
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 20, 2012 16:18 |  #10

Christmas has got in the way so I apologise for the delay. I will indeed photograph each step as I go. There's quite a risk. You have to dismantle a significant amount of the camera. But I'm game if it gives me a new lens.

sue.t
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 25, 2012 11:00 |  #11

I'll check back to see your result. My G12 has a smudge that I hope to clean away myself.

I'm thinking the smudge is an oil or water spot on the rear element of the lens, which means disassembling the camera to get to the lens. The spot is circular, more dense in the middle, thus I think either oil or water (condensation drop?). It isn't on the outer lens so must be inside.

-

jaxboater
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 19, 2013 11:03 as a reply to  @ sue.t's post |  #12

At one time there was a spot that was visible when I zoomed out.
It looked like mold.
I have tried to 'dry out' the camera and it doesn't seem so bad right now.
But living in FL and with vacations mostly to islands I may have to do something.
If I didn't have the underwater case I'd likely just buy another.
I'm looking forward to see how the tear down goes.

gertcher
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 10, 2013 06:21 as a reply to  @ jaxboater's post |  #13

Just looked at the video. The mechanic is rough, unnecessarily so. His method of disassembly is questionable, why on earth did he not remove the neck strap first in stead of part way through. He almost bent the front cover getting it off

I could not be sure if he had worked on this camera before. The removal of screws was random which displays lack of knowledge, and the reckless order of placing loose screws would appear to be because he knows which one goes back correctly. I have partially dismantled a G10 and there are 2 or 3 different screw lengths, they must go back in the right places.

I had to laugh at his inability to fit the accessory adaptor before fitting the front cover.

OK, the general information in the video is sound, although I would not like this guy to service my cameras. For those of us not familiar with the interior of a digital camera I suggest you create a paper grid and label where the screws come from and make notes of the order of disassembly.

I bought a G9 knowing the lens has stuck out, and will be taking it apart to see if I can fix it. Or failing that fit a good used lens. Will post back here when I'm done. And looking forward to seeing anyone else's attempts.

Greg

Canon: EOS 1000D, EF-S 18-55, EF 75-300. Canon G9, G10 G1X
Ex-Website Designer
Antique Furniture Restorer www.phoenixfurniture.c​o.uk (external link)
I take on all types of woodwork, but I won't take a fence

jeanchua
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 20, 2014 02:34 |  #14

Hi,
I have a Cannon Powershot G10 , laterly the zoom stuck at zoom out position and screen appears " Lens error , restart camera" but it would work even change battery and switch camera onand off.
Any one know what is the fault? thanks

hsu94583
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 24, 2015 19:24 as a reply to  @ jeanchua's post |  #15

I have a similar situation as you. Tried all suggestions on-line to un-jam the lens with no luck. I took the camera apart and is now shopping for a new lens. I do not want to buy a used lens with the same problem. With all the time I put into dis-assembling the camera, why save money on a used one. The one outstanding question I have is if I remove the CCD Sensor at the back of the zoom lens assembly, will I have problems (such as alignment, or adjustment) that is required after I re-install the sensor back onto the new zoom lens assembly? If anybody has experience on this subject, I would like to hear from you. Appreciate your help.

sponsored links

18,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon powershot G10 lens replacement
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.