Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Oct 2012 (Saturday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Err 80 on Canon 7D.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 27, 2012 18:46 |  #1

Ok, so I've gotten this twice in the past few weeks. Never had it before.

A removal of battery clears it. I've heard it's an electrical error.

Should I be concerned? Can't really afford the $200 just to have Canon look at it. Not under warranty, had the camera since 7D launched!

Is it possible it's a bug with the new firmware? I,m on 2.0.3, and I've also upgraded my 40mm ancake to 1.0.2. Haven't had time to test another lens combination, so who knows if it's something inherently wrong with hardware, software, or those as a combination of my gear, battery, etc.

It does go away after removing battery, so it's not really a deal breaker.

Just wondering if anyone else gets it with the new updates, or just ever, even with other bodies/lenses.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,331 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 27, 2012 20:05 |  #2

Err 80 means an electronic malfunction. Unfortunately, based on the thread at https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=815979 it is stated

Just to report back for future search reference if this happens to another 7D owner.

I got my 7D back from Canon with no information on what they fixed. I had to call them back and ask them for a report for my records. The ERR 80 code was "Main PC Board" failure. It was covered under warranty. It is important to have your receipt because Canon will ask you for it so they can verify when the camera was purchased (for you used camera buyers). They did not even look at my warranty card, they just typed in the serial number and looked for the date on the store receipt when I dropped it off at the Irvine Repair Center.

FYI... Canon repairs have a 6 month warranty from the repair date. I asked them how much would this repair cost if this happened after my warranty expired, the repair would cost $180.00 (parts&labor).

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 28, 2012 04:44 |  #3

Yeah, I saw that. Just wondering if a bug in recently has caused this error to mistakenly pop up, seeing as I've updated a lot of hints recently. It's also intermittent so wondering if people have also had it in frequently, and just live with it.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 28, 2012 07:57 |  #4

I had an ERR80 once before on the first 7D I owned. I'd been out the previous day with it and it started raining, not heavily though. I put it under my coat but it did get a few spots on it (I don't like being out in the rain never mind my cameras) and went home but the next day when I went out and turned the camera on I got the ERR80 message. I removed the grip and took the batteries out of the grip, reinstalled them and it worked perfectly from then on. I'm not sure it was the rain that caused the problem but it was a coincidence.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 28, 2012 08:05 |  #5

Try a different CF card too. I was getting Err 80 with my 5D3 and an eye-fi SD card. Without the card in, no problems.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 28, 2012 08:13 |  #6

May try the trick for fixed 5D2 Err 70, which may work for 7D Err 80.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 28, 2012 08:21 |  #7

I had error 80 on my 60D a few months back. But it only ever happened when i tethered it to my PC via USB. Since then i stopped tethering my camera and bought a card reader to download my images. So im just wondering if you get the message when plugging it into your PC or does it just happen randomly when your in the middle of a shoot? If it happens randomly while shooting, i would assume that you could be in for some troubles.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,331 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 28, 2012 11:43 |  #8

A firmware update or overwrite will likely do not harm either and might help.

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 29, 2012 13:02 |  #9

x_tan wrote in post #15177956 (external link)
May try the trick for fixed 5D2 Err 70, which may work for 7D Err 80.

What trick would that be?

Anyway, hopefully not an issue. It has been very intermittent, no idea what causes it, and I haven't even changed lenses since upgrading to serif it ever happens with other lenses.

even if it happened intermittently and just as easily dismissed, I guess I'll live with it.

But yeah, maybe reapply firmware couldn't hurt.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 29, 2012 13:24 |  #10

Re-do the firmware updates. (Note: there is a specific procedure with the 2.x.x updates for the camera. Follow it carefully. It's detailed in the documentation with the update and on the website.)

Clean the lens-to-camera contacts. Clean the battery-to-camera contacts.

Try with another lens and see if that helps.

If, after all that, you are still seeing the error... the last thing possible to do yourself is a full reboot of the camera: turn the camera off, remove all the batteries, turn the camera on while the batteries are out, press the shutter release button once to drain all remaining power from the camera (it won't fire), turn the camera off, re-insert all the batteries (wipe off the silver memory battery so there aren't any finger oils on it), power on the camera and test it again.

If none of this works, best to have Canon look at it.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 29, 2012 15:57 |  #11

amfoto1 wrote in post #15183015 (external link)
Re-do the firmware updates. (Note: there is a specific procedure with the 2.x.x updates for the camera. Follow it carefully. It's detailed in the documentation with the update and on the website.)

Clean the lens-to-camera contacts. Clean the battery-to-camera contacts.

Try with another lens and see if that helps.

If, after all that, you are still seeing the error... the last thing possible to do yourself is a full reboot of the camera: turn the camera off, remove all the batteries, turn the camera on while the batteries are out, press the shutter release button once to drain all remaining power from the camera (it won't fire), turn the camera off, re-insert all the batteries (wipe off the silver memory battery so there aren't any finger oils on it), power on the camera and test it again.

If none of this works, best to have Canon look at it.

Thanks for the advice. What was specific to the procedure for applying the 2.x firmware? From what I could tell it was identical to all my other upgrades.

Also like I've said it has only happened twice in the last few weeks. It's hard to just test it to see if anything has changed. But I will at some poin clean everything up.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 29, 2012 18:31 |  #12

mrkgoo wrote in post #15182912 (external link)
What trick would that be?

this the trick for 5D2 Err 70:

mrgooch wrote in post #13368111 (external link)
Found this online maybe someone can try this.

I encountered Error 70 on my Mk2 that totally locked up the body.
Removing battery, lens, date battery and CF card did not fix it
Waiting 20 min did not fix it.

But if I started the body in a custom setting (c1 or c2 or c3) without the lens it worked!

From this mode the body would not allow a reset of setings, so I manually adjusted as many settings as I could.

Then restart the body in CA mode without the lens or CF card, from there I performed a factory reset.
Now it's back to normal.... phew...

I'm posting this because I search the web for Error 70 and most people that had a PERMANENT error 70 resorted to sending it back to Canon.

Try the above solution, it takes a lot of fiddling and switching between modes but it worked for me....
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 29, 2012 19:12 |  #13

mrkgoo wrote in post #15183536 (external link)
...What was specific to the procedure for applying the 2.x firmware?....

When updating the firmware...

Use an empty, memory card freshly formatted in camera. (Pretty tandard procedure I know, but seems more important than usual with these two latest updates.)

Do the update.

Turn off the camera and remove the main battery for at least 2 seconds (this was unusual to both the 2.x.x f'ware updates, AFAIK... a lot of the people who reported problems with the first update seemed to have forgotten to do this).

Format the memory card in camera again. (Not sure this is necessary with the second 2.x.x update, but it's easy enough to do anyway. Just as a precaution I'd do this automatically with any mem cards that might have been used with earlier firmwares or other cameras, not just the one used to do the update. Another area where some people seemed to run into trouble was when using a mem card that had older, pre-update images on it.)

The instructions also were to update at least EOS Utilities software, prior to installing the firmware update. You probably know, it's necessary to be able to set the date, time via computer (such as if you sync the camera and computer).

Off hand, those are the high points I can remember.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

mrkgoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 30, 2012 03:20 |  #14

That 5d thing seems unrelated. My err 80 shows up and is just as quickly dismissed with a battery removal.

The procedure for updating looks identical to previous ones. I do recall removing the battery in previous ones, but didn,t think it was important (pretty sure I did it anyway). Can't hurt to reinstall at some point though.

sponsored links

10,291 views & 0 likes for this thread
Err 80 on Canon 7D.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.