Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Oct 2012 (Monday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lighting gray backdrops for white?

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2012 15:41 |  #1

OK, sorry for the confusing post title. Couldn't think of a better way to put it..

Anyway, I have a shoot Wednesday shooting people full body on white seamless paper. Singles and groups up to four people. I have a choice of buying locally either the Savage "super white" or the Savage "studio gray". The client requests the background be 100% neutral white.

Now I have done this many times with super white paper but am generally unhappy clipping the white to try and get the skin tones to a good level. I don't like seeing the blooming around the body that happens when you overexpose the white backdrop. If I was shooting 3/4 length portraits it would be easy to control the super white on set but the full length requirement makes that much harder.

So my plan was to shoot a "studio gray" (which I am hoping is about 80% gray but I am not exactly sure since instead of giving you numerical values of their products they just give you confusing names and swatches), expose it properly, then ramp it up in post.

Thoughts? If you shoot gray for white I would love to see samples.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 29, 2012 16:52 |  #2

That is way too much work.

And by the time you get the gray to white you will have blown everything else on the high end of the tone curve.

It does take some care getting the lighting right.
You also have to have the subject away from the background. Then get the background light to read, at the back of the subject within a 1/3 stop of the main. Maybe just a little less.

The hardest part is around the feet. Easiest with white tile board.

Check out Zack Arias (sp?) site. He has a comprehensive post and there are others.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 29, 2012 17:19 |  #3

Here is a link to the blog entries from Zack Arias:
http://www.zarias.com …torial-part-1-gear-space/ (external link)

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

windpig
Chopped liver
15,354 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 29, 2012 17:25 |  #4

Use the white and flag any of the background that's not in the frame. Put the flags on the background side of the subjects.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 29, 2012 18:46 |  #5

drvnbysound wrote in post #15183795 (external link)
Here is a link to the blog entries from Zack Arias:
http://www.zarias.com …torial-part-1-gear-space/ (external link)

Thanks for finding that.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 30, 2012 07:28 |  #6

dmward wrote in post #15184065 (external link)
Thanks for finding that.

Mr. dmward and I replicated this (Zak Aria's method) concept in a studio on white background and it worked very well. The trick is just making sure you meter the backdrop at multiple spots for evenness, and ensuring it's +2/+3 stops above your subject's lighting, and that your subject is properly placed so that the back of the subject (lit from bg reflection) ends up metering to about the same amount as the front of your subject.

Seconded on the tileboard for full length, though we can both attest that it's a nightmare to move unless you have a large truck. I think it comes in 8ft x 8ft sheets. If you cut it into pieces, the lines will show up in post (even tried covering the seams with white gaff tape) and you'll need to clone them out.

A shot from that test setup, some more detail on lighting at the flickr description. Again, this is on white.. As mentioned, with grey, you're going to need more power for the bg, resulting in having to increase the distance between subject and bg by quite a bit.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6698300501_eafb2b4712.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tycn/6698300501​/  (external link)
Why hello there.. (external link) by Βrandon (external link), on Flickr

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 30, 2012 09:45 |  #7

Thanks. I think I have been talked into shooting on white instead of gray.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 30, 2012 09:53 |  #8

BrandonSi wrote in post #15185907 (external link)
Mr. dmward and I replicated this (Zak Aria's method) concept in a studio on white background and it worked very well. The trick is just making sure you meter the backdrop at multiple spots for evenness, and ensuring it's +2/+3 stops above your subject's lighting, and that your subject is properly placed so that the back of the subject (lit from bg reflection) ends up metering to about the same amount as the front of your subject.

Seconded on the tileboard for full length, though we can both attest that it's a nightmare to move unless you have a large truck. I think it comes in 8ft x 8ft sheets. If you cut it into pieces, the lines will show up in post (even tried covering the seams with white gaff tape) and you'll need to clone them out.

A shot from that test setup, some more detail on lighting at the flickr description. Again, this is on white.. As mentioned, with grey, you're going to need more power for the bg, resulting in having to increase the distance between subject and bg by quite a bit.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tycn/6698300501​/  (external link)
Why hello there.. (external link) by Βrandon (external link), on Flickr

Brandon, forgot we'd done that.

Yes the sheets are a paint to transport (4x8) and they chip very easily. Overlap away from camera and the seam will tend to disappear.

sponsored links

1,675 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lighting gray backdrops for white?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.