Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Oct 2012 (Monday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do most of you cover travel expenses?

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2012 20:20 |  #1

For those of you who shoot models, particularly ones that have to travel to get to you, do you typically pay for their travel expenses?

I ask this because I've always had an unwritten rule that I never pay for a models travel expenses. Whatever our deal is for the compensation on the shoot, that's what they receive and anything extra (such as travel, lodging, etc) is handled on their own accord.

This method has served me well thus far. However, I'm now considering making an exception, which has me wondering if I need to look at changing my policy. So I'd like to hear some input from others on this matter.

sponsored links
JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 29, 2012 21:55 |  #2

The only situation where I would pay for travel expenses for a model is if I had a client who was paying me to produce the shoot, and the premium they were paying me was worth me fronting the money.

For any private shoot, I would never consider paying any travel expenses for a model or talent.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 29, 2012 22:06 |  #3

So do you charge mileage to your clients if you have to travel to a shoot, expect your customer to pay for your hotels. We (photographers collectively) complain that we are being nickel and dimed by our customers but yet many seem to want to do that to those that we deal with. I charge for expenses and I also pay for expenses on anything that anyone involved in a shoot has to incur. Any expenses that I incur to others is ultimately paid by the client so as long as they are on board it is the right thing to do. I suppose one could still charge the client and cheap out on the hired help but that is something that I wouldn't do. I would think that you would get a bad reputation with models if you asked them to pay for their own hotels, meals, etc and all you were paying them was their normal rates.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 30, 2012 01:12 |  #4

I think there's a difference between paying my own expenses and paying the expenses of a model or talent.

I've paid my own expenses before. I've never paid for the expenses for a model or talent.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2012 08:04 |  #5

I'm totally on ssim's side here. Even though we might often think it's not our responsibility, that thought goes right out the window when we bill someone else for our own expenses. If you're hiring the model, you need to pay their expenses, if you would charge your own client for travel expenses. If you would just include it in your own fee for another client, then it's reasonable to let the model know that all expenses should be included in their fee to you.

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,286 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 30, 2012 09:02 as a reply to  @ CraigPatterson's post |  #6

I ask this because I've always had an unwritten rule that I never pay for a models travel expenses. Whatever our deal is for the compensation on the shoot, that's what they receive and anything extra (such as travel, lodging, etc) is handled on their own accord.

Point: "Whatever our deal is for the compensation...."

Let's not forget that the contract rules. The expectation of any enforceable contract is that each party finds the terms acceptable. If the model is willing to pay her own expenses, the compensation is presumably worth it; the same is presumed true of the photographer hired by a client.

I think there is also some confusion going on here of private sessions with commercial sessions.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2012 09:38 |  #7

RDKirk wrote in post #15186162 (external link)
I think there is also some confusion going on here of private sessions with commercial sessions.

Can you please expand on the difference, in this particular context?

RDKirk
13,286 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 30, 2012 09:46 |  #8

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15186278 (external link)
Can you please expand on the difference, in this particular context?

I'll just ask this question: Is there anyone here who expects to do a commercial job that--one way or another--does not cover expenses+salary of everyone involved?

Is this discussion about anything more than whether covering that total sum is a matter of itemization verus flat fee?

ATP
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 30, 2012 10:14 |  #9

JacobPhoto wrote in post #15185321 (external link)
I think there's a difference between paying my own expenses and paying the expenses of a model or talent.

I've paid my own expenses before. I've never paid for the expenses for a model or talent.

same

Canon 7d and a Bunch of other sh*t
website is down | FB FAN PAGE (external link) |TWITTER (external link)| Flickr (external link)

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2012 10:48 |  #10

RDKirk wrote in post #15186299 (external link)
Is this discussion about anything more than whether covering that total sum is a matter of itemization verus flat fee?

I didn't think the question was about anything more than that. So why would a difference between private and commercial be a factor in this instance?

RDKirk
13,286 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 30, 2012 10:57 |  #11

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15186526 (external link)
I didn't think the question was about anything more than that. So why would a difference between private and commercial be a factor in this instance?

Maybe there is no confusion.

But if not, I don't understand why you took "sides."

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 30, 2012 11:05 |  #12

RDKirk wrote in post #15186570 (external link)
But if not, I don't understand why you took "sides."

I didn't take sides on commercial vs. private, I took sides on being consistent between how one would bill their clients vs. how they would expect to be billed by a model. My side being that both bill pipelines should look the same.

RDKirk
13,286 posts
Joined May 2004

Oct 30, 2012 11:31 |  #13

They might not look the same. A client might prefer a flat fee or an itemized one. The client might also prefer to be billed completely separately for sub-contracted talent such as models, stylists, and makup artists, perhaps even photo assistance. Or not. That would be up to the client how he wants to do his book keeping.

OTOH, it's just as much up to the photographer if that's who is doing the hiring and paying of subcontracted talent. If the photographer prefers to pay a flat fee with the talent taking expenses from that, there is nothing morally deficient about that method of book keeping...because that's all it is, a method of book keeping.

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2012 13:13 |  #14

JacobPhoto wrote in post #15185321 (external link)

That's sort of the way I see it too. Plus, if you're paying for a model's travel, where does it start and where does it end? If a model has to drive an hour to reach a shoot location do you pay that expense too? You start paying one thing and before you know it you're paying gas, rental car, food, taxis, ect. I once had a model come to a shoot where she got paid $1000 and still had the nerve to ask for $20 cab fare back home!!

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 30, 2012 13:25 as a reply to  @ Ledrak's post |  #15

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15185993 (external link)
I'm totally on ssim's side here. Even though we might often think it's not our responsibility, that thought goes right out the window when we bill someone else for our own expenses. If you're hiring the model, you need to pay their expenses, if you would charge your own client for travel expenses. If you would just include it in your own fee for another client, then it's reasonable to let the model know that all expenses should be included in their fee to you.

RDKirk wrote in post #15186162 (external link)
Point: "Whatever our deal is for the compensation...."

Let's not forget that the contract rules. The expectation of any enforceable contract is that each party finds the terms acceptable. If the model is willing to pay her own expenses, the compensation is presumably worth it; the same is presumed true of the photographer hired by a client.

I'd agree with these two posts. If the model accepts the negotiated rate/contract then the travel costs and time should already be included in their rate or it should be spelled out in the contract as an extra. if nothing is mentioned then I wouldn't feel bad for not giving anything at all or anything extra.

sponsored links

1,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do most of you cover travel expenses?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.