Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Drake Women's Soccer

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,585 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Oct 30, 2012 23:44 |  #16

gettingstarted wrote in post #15187197 (external link)
rrblint - Any suggestions on which way to look? They are all large JPEGs, so there is no RAW adjustments to be made.

Since the RAW files are not available the corrections can still be made but will be more difficult and less effective than would be the case if the RAW files were available.

In order to "save" the shots that you have, the main problems(other than focus, which you can't do much about) that must be fixed are:

1.) The exposure on the players' faces needs to be increased.

And

2.) The white balance needs to be warmed.

I don't know what software you are using to adjust your JPEGs, but I'm sure that whatever it is, you can find "exposure adjustment"(or maybe "brightness") and "white balance adjustment" in the controls somewhere.

If you are unaccustomed to PP work, you may have to read a manual or view a tutorial on how to do it.

Mark

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 31, 2012 09:19 |  #17

gettingstarted wrote in post #15188910 (external link)
For the most part, I had the sun to my back. I was shooting in manual mode with the aperture set at 2.8. I was using spot metering. Any suggestions on helping keep the metering consistent? I was having to adjust the shutter speed every few seconds.

I haven't struggled with landing the focus point in the past, but the colors and the WB really seem to be blown in most of them.

I am really to any suggestions on how to save these images (to the extent that they can be saved) and how to prevent this from happening in the future.

Sometimes a day of shooting will really remind a person of how little they actually know.

There's your problem, shooting at f2.8 and spot metering. In bright sun f4 is sufficient, use evaluative. Meter off the grass. Also, I've found in bright sun, the AF can struggle esp when players wear white, so fill the frame and reduce the problem. I think your shots are far too far away. When shooting side-light or back-light you are going to find the faces underexposed unless you opt to overexpose the background, which sometimes isn't a bad thing if its crappy background ..

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,354 views & 0 likes for this thread
Drake Women's Soccer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.