Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 21:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The SyFy Channel is Stealing From Me!

ions
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2012 21:40 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8469/8140358689_354e59f1ab.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …istopherbrian/8​140358689/  (external link)
The "SyFy Channel" is Stealing From Me! (external link) by Christopher Brian's Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8192/8140394034_ea0ece2c55.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …istopherbrian/8​140394034/  (external link)
SyFy is Stealing From Me!! (external link) by Christopher Brian's Photography (external link), on Flickr

EXIF data stripped and I was NEVER contacted. Boo SyFy! I thought you were cool in that way (stupid phonetic spellings aside).

I'm disappointed because I've been asked by more than a few people if they can use one, or more, of my zombie images and I've had no problem with it. All were just peeps trying to get some traffic. For a broadcaster's blog to do this? :evil: I have not been linked or credited in any way.

Edit: just wanted to add that since I posted this image two years ago I've seen it stolen by a pile of people too. This is the first time it's been stolen on such a scale.

IMAGE: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4042/5160687484_d5fda64104.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …istopherbrian/5​160687484/  (external link)
Sexy Zombie Donna Troy Black Lantern from the Toronto Zombie Walk 2010 (external link) by Christopher Brian's Photography (external link), on Flickr

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
BLD_007
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 30, 2012 21:42 |  #2

I foresee a big payday for you. Hit them hard, hit them fast.

Glass: 8-15 f/4.0L | 16-35 f/2.8LmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L mkII | 100 f/2.8L Macro | 300 f/2.8LmkII
Bodies: Canon 1d X : Canon 1d mkIV : Canon 50d

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 30, 2012 21:52 |  #3

Since you have given it out for other to use, there is the possibility that it was taken from one of their sites. What you do it up to you obviously but since you have been giving them away I would just ask to be credited/linked and then go from there depending on the response.

Adam - Upstate NY:

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 30, 2012 21:57 |  #4

Those that have asked have been granted SINGLE USE with NO DISTRIBUTION.

Gear: Canon EOS 5D3 | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70L ƒ2.8 | Canon 100L ƒ2.8 | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | Canon 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC with 804RC2 head.
flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,828 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 30, 2012 23:31 |  #5

My photo, and wife's "Likeness" used - What to do

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

I'm ­ Sasquatch
429 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 31, 2012 21:25 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #6

How did you discover your image being used by them? I'm just curious and have nothing of substance to offer in getting this resolved.

Have a wheelie nice day!

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 31, 2012 21:36 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Read this. http://www.naturescape​s.net …p-i-found-an-infringement (external link)

Send the ISP a DMCA take down notice. It is a moot point whether or not you will get compensated from the infringement. If the photos were never copyright registered through the USA Copyright office, your chance of a lawyer taking your case is pretty much slim. Your chance to score big is also pretty much slim.

Not all copyright infringement is worth the time, money, and energy to pursue. Well, if you post anything on Flickr, be prepared to get ripped off. Considering you have no watermarks on those photos, it just screams for "rip me off please."

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 31, 2012 21:44 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Oops, I just realize you are in Canada....well. Not sure how to proceed in accordance to the Canadian copyright laws....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Slave7081
112 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 01, 2012 07:23 |  #9

Canadian copyright laws say that the moment you take the photo it is copyrighted and there is no need to register it.

Automatic protection for Canadian and foreign works
When you create a work or other subject matter protected by copyright, you will automatically have copyright protection provided that, at the time of creation, you were:

•a Canadian citizen or a person ordinarily resident in Canada;
•a citizen or subject of, or a person ordinarily residing in, a Berne Convention country, a Universal Copyright Convention country, a Rome Convention country (for sound recordings, performer's performances and communication signals only), or a country that is a member of the World Trade Organization (WTO); or
•a citizen or subject of, or a person ordinarily resident in any country to which the Minister has extended protection by notice in the Canada Gazette.
In some cases, you would also obtain automatic copyright if your work was first published in one of the countries included among the above-mentioned conventions or a country that is member of the WTO, even if you were not a citizen or subject of Canada, or of one of those countries.

http://www.ic.gc.ca …ng/wr02395.html​#automatic (external link)

Spam has never touched my lips but it flows from my finger tips
flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)http://www.flickr.com …tephotography/5​432407239/ (external link)

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 01, 2012 08:03 |  #10

ions wrote in post #15188951 (external link)
Those that have asked have been granted SINGLE USE with NO DISTRIBUTION.

Sadly there's the rub, who's to say it wasn't one of the pile that boosted it in the first place hadn't submitted it? While you have every right to be pissed going about saying SyFy intentionally stole your image(great image btw) may be jumping the gun a bit. Who knows, maybe they even paid a microstock site for it.

Not much else to do but shoot off some emails to get it pulled.

Best of luck getting it sorted promptly.

Christian.

ions
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 01, 2012 22:48 |  #11

Not the rub. Anytime I've granted use for an image in this context I've waited to see exactly how the image would be used. I also included very restricted use limits in granting that single use.

flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 02, 2012 07:30 |  #12

Yeah, hardly a rub. If I steal a car, sell it to you under a false name and all that, then report you to the police and disappear, guess who gets screwed?

"I didn't know!" isn't much of an excuse in the eyes of the court a lot of the time. You might not be hit as hard by the courts if you can demonstrate you had a reasonable expectation of it being legal, and can often talk your way out of things with rather light punishment involved, but you're still infringing on someone's copyright.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,972 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 02, 2012 07:47 |  #13

Slave7081 wrote in post #15193942 (external link)
Canadian copyright laws say that the moment you take the photo it is copyrighted and there is no need to register it.

As it is in the US, registering though, gives you a lot more teeth as far as the law is concerned when it comes to infringement. The penalty goes WAY up compared v's a non-registered image.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 02, 2012 07:52 |  #14

Is there any legal advantage beyond reinforced evidence of ownership in Canada? I haven't been able to find anything to suggest that you can "get more" from infringement for a registered copyright over a non-registered one in Canada.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,828 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 02, 2012 22:02 |  #15

Luckless wrote in post #15198077 (external link)
Is there any legal advantage beyond reinforced evidence of ownership in Canada? I haven't been able to find anything to suggest that you can "get more" from infringement for a registered copyright over a non-registered one in Canada.

See the link in: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1123777

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

9,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
The SyFy Channel is Stealing From Me!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.