Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 01 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Continuous light for white muslin backdrop

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 01, 2012 17:00 |  #1

I have been trying to find additional used flash heads for my speedotron d1604 (m11). No luck yet. I want to light my white muslin backdrop to avoid showing the wrinkles for longer pp and to get a white background. I have read other posts here which suggest two other flash heads, but as mentioned have not found any more speedotron m11 lights. Also searched to get non speedotron lights but they are not cheap either.

I searched on you tube to see what people use other than two flash lights. I found one who used one lamp (continuous light) which was placed on the floor but did not mentioned name of lamp. Now I have also read these are good for non moving objects. Although I am aware they get hot, they burn, from what I read, I still want to get one as will only use to light my backdrop to get that white look whether I shoot people or objects.

Can you recommend one that can be used for my purpose? Does home depot/menards have one that works well or should I stay away from those stores? Thanks in advanced.

I am trying to stay under $100 if this can be a reasonable price. The most I am willing to spend is $150.

sponsored links
Sittingshooter
442 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 01, 2012 20:22 |  #2

Check out Adorama Camera Supply. You can get two Flashpoint Budget 60 monolights for less than $150.00.
www.adorama.com (external link)

Brad "AKA" Sittingshooter
T4i and kit lenses

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 02, 2012 16:02 |  #3

If you are using strobes for the main lights and hot lights for background you are going to have to color correct one or the other.

And, to get the white muslin white will take quite a bit of light.

(BTW, I see you're in East Chicago. I have 3 used Savage 150Ws strobes I'm willing to sell.)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,208 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 02, 2012 16:06 |  #4

Between the color disparity, the power disparity, and the discomfort caused by bright continuous lights its a bad idea all around. You should check out David's strobes.

Hopelessdfilms
169 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 02, 2012 16:24 |  #5

Is that a brown line pack? or black line?

either way, check your local and surrounding cities craigslist pages... in chicago, there's almost always speedo gear on CL, though we do have speedo headquarters in the city, so that may be apart of the following.

Ebay is also a great place to find used heads.

Regarding using hotlights, to keep it short and add to previous replies, its just a bad idea.

I would recommend getting two packs, one pack for your background and the second for your subject.

I run a speedo 1200w pack for my background and have ample power, I usually have to split channels for least amount of power to each head and then pull to the minimum output.

My second pack is for the subject only.

If you love your speedo gear, stick with it and just add to what you currently have. Its great, will take a beating, and is ultimately a super workhorse. Speedo is great!

Keep an eye out on ebay and you should be able to scoop a kit of pack and probably a couple heads for fairly cheap.

good luck with the hunt.

just my .02c

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 02, 2012 17:41 |  #6

^^^ That's good advice.
Its likely Helix has some used Speedo stuff. If I recall they are owned by the same company. At least they are in the same building on Racine.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 05, 2012 11:15 |  #7

Thanks all for the replies... sorry for responding late.

Hopeless, yes I do own the brown line and yes have been searching on ebay and cl. I just have to keep on looking for another pack with the flash heads.

sponsored links

971 views & 0 likes for this thread
Continuous light for white muslin backdrop
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.