Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 02 Nov 2012 (Friday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

question: using an older GPU with a new motherboard

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 02, 2012 10:02 |  #1

Hi guys,

I have an old MSI 9600GT 512mb DDR3 GPU card running on PCIe 2.0 that I have lying around and I thought of using it for a new PC setup running the Asustek P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Motherboard with an i7-3770k chip.

Problem is the the 9600GT has 2 DVI ports while the P8Z77-V motherboard has HDMI and displayport output. Im intending to buy a Dell U2412M monitor which has a DVI-D(no idea if its the same as DVI or not) input and a displayport input.

My question is: if I connect the motherboard's displayport output to the monitor's displayport input, would I be utilizing the GPU or simply bypassing it and using the inbuilt Intel HD4000 graphics?

This issue never occurred to me in my previous custom PC build...

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

sponsored links
JoeyC
376 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 02, 2012 10:05 |  #2

You'd be bypassing it. There is nothing wrong with HD4000 - it is quite capable for integrated graphics.

Joe - SE Pennsylvania
Site (external link)|Gear

Moppie
15,051 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 02, 2012 16:11 |  #3

Unless your gaming, the HD 4000 is more than capable, I use one to drive a pair of 2412s on a photography work station.

If you are gaming then the 9600 is slow and out dated.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

BlankThis
208 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 02, 2012 16:37 |  #4

A graphics card disables the motherboard built in graphics unit, as well as the ports. The 9600GT is an older card but still capable of playing Valve engine-based games like Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2 etc. at max quality. On more graphically advanced games you're going to have to turn down the video quality settings.

DVI and DVI-D are the same

| 5Dc | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 | flickr (external link)

zarray
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 02, 2012 18:27 |  #5

BlankThis wrote in post #15199889 (external link)
A graphics card disables the motherboard built in graphics unit, as well as the ports. The 9600GT is an older card but still capable of playing Valve engine-based games like Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2 etc. at max quality. On more graphically advanced games you're going to have to turn down the video quality settings.

DVI and DVI-D are the same

That is good to hear. I will utilize the 9600GT then thru the DVI port then.
I'm not using my PC setup for gaming so there's no need for me to buy the lastest DDR5 GPU cards, I just need a basic GPU for occasional use of CAD software(specifically CATIA V5).

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 02, 2012 19:55 |  #6

If you used the lucidlogic virtu option, then you could use the 9600GT through the onboard HDMI.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

sponsored links

1,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
question: using an older GPU with a new motherboard
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.