Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Nov 2012 (Monday) 01:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Renting an UWA

maverick14
79 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 05, 2012 01:39 |  #1

Hi,

I am going on holiday soon here in New Zealand to a sport where I know there will be spectacular photo opportunities. A local company now offers lens for rental and I am thinking of grabbing an UWA. Unfortunately I am a nikon shooter (D7000), but the theory is the same between systems. I have my eye on a sweet 14-24 f/2.8 to rent :)

My problem is, I have never used anything wider than 17mm and I see lots of photos taken with UWAs that are just big expansive photos of nothing... Are there any decent guides etc out there for using a really stupid wide lens? Any known problems I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Scott

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2012 02:56 |  #2

Get close. Don't try to use an UWA to just fit everything in. Have foreground interest.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

RAW ­ RAW ­ RAW
461 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 05, 2012 03:06 |  #3

+1.......Sirrith is 100% on the money

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2012 04:29 |  #4

Did you mean 'sport' or is it supposed to be 'spot'.

An UWA can be really useful for landscape stuff (just ensure you get some good foreground interest) but it's not so handy for sport - mainly because you really do have to get in close. And a lot of sports(wo)men get annoyed at people jamming a lens in their face at a crucial moment.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

maverick14
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 05, 2012 16:03 |  #5

hollis_f wrote in post #15208393 (external link)
Did you mean 'sport' or is it supposed to be 'spot'.

An UWA can be really useful for landscape stuff (just ensure you get some good foreground interest) but it's not so handy for sport - mainly because you really do have to get in close. And a lot of sports(wo)men get annoyed at people jamming a lens in their face at a crucial moment.

Yeah sorry, spot, not sport :oops:

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,229 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 05, 2012 16:08 |  #6

Like everyone said, get a foreground element to anchor the shot. It gives scope and lets the viewer see that you are manipulating perspective, even if they dont understand that. Otherwise its just a wide shot that can be taken with any lens.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 05, 2012 16:39 |  #7

maverick14 wrote in post #15208176 (external link)
Are there any decent guides etc out there for using a really stupid wide lens? Any known problems I need to be aware of?

Well, I hate to say this but, the infamous Ken Rockwell has a page on UWA lenses that is actually quite helpful. I can't bring myself to link to it, but a google search should find it.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 05, 2012 19:39 |  #8

http://www.kenrockwell​.com …use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm (external link)

i'd say go crazy though, and see if you can rent a sigma 8-16mm...go super wide...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 05, 2012 19:45 |  #9

I like your username :D

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 05, 2012 20:05 |  #10

Sirrith wrote in post #15208267 (external link)
Get close. Don't try to use an UWA to just fit everything in. Have foreground interest.

Very good advice.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

sponsored links

939 views & 0 likes for this thread
Renting an UWA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.