Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Dec 2005 (Saturday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1.4x Tcon or Lens?

MTalley
820 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 31, 2005 11:35 |  #1

I've been watching prices on Canon 1.4x teleconverters for a while. Looks like the going rate, new or used, is about $280 US.

I've been wanting to extend the range a little on my 70-200mm f/4L for use in outdoor sports events, and figured that would be the way to go.

I've also lately noticed a few Canon 100-300mm f/5.6L lenses for sale on both Ebay and FM forums, for not much more (generally in the low $300's US).

Considering there isn't much price differential, which would you go with? Throwing the Tcon on the 70-200 would make it (for all practical purposes) essentially almost the same as the 100-300mm f/5.6. (Yeah, I know, it would actually be a 98-280 f/5.6L).

Can't afford, and don't really need, 2.8 glass right now, since I primarily use the lens for outdoor events where fast shutter speeds are available even at ISO-100 most days. (Though I realize the DOF advantage of a lower f/stop lens).

(external link)

sponsored links
liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 31, 2005 11:55 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Neither one of those lenses is really fast enough for sports, and the TC would cause them to lose an additional stop of light. If you're willing to put out the money for a 100-300, you might consider saving a bit more and buying a used 200L with a teleconverter. There are usually good deals on KEH and on Fred Miranda.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 31, 2005 11:58 |  #3

Sell the Canon and put the money for the TCon towards a Sigma 100-300mm f4. I tried the TCon solution and it doesn't work on the L, though it depends on the light you have. The Sigma is still a better solution in my view.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 31, 2005 13:34 |  #4

MTalley wrote:
I've been watching prices on Canon 1.4x teleconverters for a while. Looks like the going rate, new or used, is about $280 US.

I've been wanting to extend the range a little on my 70-200mm f/4L for use in outdoor sports events, and figured that would be the way to go.

I've also lately noticed a few Canon 100-300mm f/5.6L lenses for sale on both Ebay and FM forums, for not much more (generally in the low $300's US).

Considering there isn't much price differential, which would you go with? Throwing the Tcon on the 70-200 would make it (for all practical purposes) essentially almost the same as the 100-300mm f/5.6. (Yeah, I know, it would actually be a 98-280 f/5.6L).

Can't afford, and don't really need, 2.8 glass right now, since I primarily use the lens for outdoor events where fast shutter speeds are available even at ISO-100 most days. (Though I realize the DOF advantage of a lower f/stop lens).

Why dont you look at the new canon 70-300 is:D

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,328 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 31, 2005 14:38 |  #5

For outdoor events either will work providing enough Sunlight is avaible.

I'd stick with the superior optics and focus of the 70-200mm and add the T-con. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MTalley
THREAD ­ STARTER
820 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 31, 2005 15:32 |  #6

So many people keep telling me the f/4 is not fast enough for sports. While this may be true at night or in a poorly lit stadium, most all of my work is outside during, at worst, overcast days and, at best, very sunny days. Therefore, even f/5.6 would be more than sufficient. I've found myself dialing in ISO-100 at times with the f/4 to keep the shutter speeds below 1/4000th.

Thanks for all the replies, though. Spending $1,000+ on another lens, even if I sold the f/4L, isn't in the budget for quite a while. When it is, I'll augment or replace the f/4L with something a little faster.

(external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
9,007 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Dec 31, 2005 15:33 |  #7

If you add a TC to the f4 make sure you have some support such as a monopod.

Personally I would sell the f4, get the 200 f2.8L and the TC. Much better solution.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

mbze430
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 31, 2005 15:50 |  #8

Save the TC or the Sigma, use that money to go get a 70-200mm f/2.8 sell off the f/4

Gear List

My Hub to my personal work (external link) (just click on the banners)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,328 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 31, 2005 15:53 |  #9

I certainly won't argue that the f/2.8 either zoom or prime is a better choice with the 1.4X...

But many sports photogs,. shooting outfoors use the 100-400mm .. which maxes out at f/5.6... I know I've shot some action with it.

Faster aperture is better,. but f/5.6 is by no means out of the question for out door sports... and certainly f/4 isn't a problem at all.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Ricko ­ of ­ Fla
596 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 31, 2005 16:36 |  #10

I have the 70-200 L 4 w/T1.4 and used it for my grandson games. works great.
BUY THE T CON 1.4 IMHO

Smell the Roses and do not forget to shoot the Roses as you go through life. Slow down America and enjoy life :p
5 D II 20D- 300 L f4 400 L f5.6 70-200 L 2.8 24-70 L 16-35, Canon G11

sponsored links

1,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
1.4x Tcon or Lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.