Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 13 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Timelapse white balance issues

cgatto
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2012 16:21 |  #1

I took a timelapse of the northern lights last night. My camera was set to auto white balance. There are chunks of footage that are a much different white balance than the others, which I thought was fine, because I figured I could sync them in Lightroom to make them all the exact same white balance and tint. It doesn't work though, the different sections are still a different color.

Is there any way to fix this?

Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
drew22mader
94 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 13, 2012 16:51 |  #2

I believe you answered your own problem. You said you have it to Auto White balance. Why not set it to one setting so that it never changes? Auto white balance does just that, balances the light depending on the situation and the light is receives.

Canon 5D MKIII Gripped - 7D gripped - 100mm 2.8L - 16-35 2.8L II - 24-70 2.8L II - 85 1.2L II - 70-200 2.8L II

cgatto
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2012 17:33 |  #3

Yes but I can't go back and reshoot the time lapse, so I havn't answered my own question at all. I've got 1400 files with a few small sections of off white balance, and syncing them to the same white balance in lightroom doesn't make their white balance the same for some reason.

My question is how to solve that with the files I have. What program will work, etc, because Lightroom doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2012 02:22 |  #4

You have to fix WB of jpegs manually. I don't know of any tool that can measure or correct WB automatically much less in batch.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2012 10:32 |  #5

Dang... Should have shot RAW and used a larger memory card.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 14, 2012 10:42 |  #6

sspellman wrote in post #15243695 (external link)
You have to fix WB of jpegs manually. I don't know of any tool that can measure or correct WB automatically much less in batch.

Actually Lightroom can do it in Library -> Grid mode, you select all the photos you want then set Auto in the white balance setting using the Quick Develop module.

Whether Auto is the right white balance or not is a completely different thing...

OP if the sync option is not working perhaps create a preset and apply it to the batch?

Joel

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 14, 2012 11:11 |  #7

Try taking the white balance values of a photo that is correct and applying them to ONE of your bad photos. Now the bad photo technically has "changes" according to lightroom so you should be able to apply that "change" to all of the other "bad" photos by selecting them all and syncing them. Dont sync with the good photo. Just select the "corrected bad photo" and sync it with the other "bad photos".

I think in Lightroom if you have a stock photo it is unable to sync others until you make a change. Syncing the settings of a stock photo with other stock photos just gives you a result of a stock photo.

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

cgatto
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2012 12:05 |  #8

mrbubbles wrote in post #15244854 (external link)
Try taking the white balance values of a photo that is correct and applying them to ONE of your bad photos. Now the bad photo technically has "changes" according to lightroom so you should be able to apply that "change" to all of the other "bad" photos by selecting them all and syncing them. Dont sync with the good photo. Just select the "corrected bad photo" and sync it with the other "bad photos".

I think in Lightroom if you have a stock photo it is unable to sync others until you make a change. Syncing the settings of a stock photo with other stock photos just gives you a result of a stock photo.

I can't apply a correct white balance from a good photo to a bad one. They're not the same which is what's throwing me off. A white balance of 3000 and a tint of 0 for example on one photo looks correct but on sections of other photos looks totally off. It looks to me like I'm going to have to go through all 1400 photos and continue to match up every photo's white balance with the previous photos. Which, to be honest, I probably will never do. It doesn't help that I'm colorblind and fine tuning white balances isn't my forte.

cgatto
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2012 12:06 |  #9

ben_r_ wrote in post #15244677 (external link)
Dang... Should have shot RAW and used a larger memory card.

I shot in RAW and used a 64GB card.

cgatto
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2012 12:10 |  #10

joeblack2022 wrote in post #15244722 (external link)
Actually Lightroom can do it in Library -> Grid mode, you select all the photos you want then set Auto in the white balance setting using the Quick Develop module.

Whether Auto is the right white balance or not is a completely different thing...

OP if the sync option is not working perhaps create a preset and apply it to the batch?

The problem is that I can't set every photo to the same white balance. The same white balance for one photo is not correct for another for some reason. I'm going to upload it to youtube and will post it here in a moment.

cgatto
THREAD ­ STARTER
877 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 14, 2012 12:18 |  #11

Here's the timelapse:

http://www.youtube.com …FSv0-Twk&feature=youtu.be (external link)

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 14, 2012 12:31 |  #12

cgatto wrote in post #15245103 (external link)
I can't apply a correct white balance from a good photo to a bad one. They're not the same which is what's throwing me off. A white balance of 3000 and a tint of 0 for example on one photo looks correct but on sections of other photos looks totally off. It looks to me like I'm going to have to go through all 1400 photos and continue to match up every photo's white balance with the previous photos. Which, to be honest, I probably will never do. It doesn't help that I'm colorblind and fine tuning white balances isn't my forte.

Yeah I see what you are saying. I have actually seen this myself but only ran into the issue a couple of times. Unfortunately I think you do have to just go through them manually. I cant think of another way to get around it. Maybe someone else will chime in with a solution.

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2012 14:12 |  #13

cgatto wrote in post #15245105 (external link)
I shot in RAW and used a 64GB card.

Oh man, then is was all the AWB that did it to you. Yea short of selecting groups of the photos in LR and manually adjusting the WB trying to get it to match the others I dont think there is any other way.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

3,390 views & 0 likes for this thread
Timelapse white balance issues
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.