Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 05:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best setting for adjusting MAF on 7D

Spuddyd
799 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 14, 2012 05:29 |  #1

Having just laid out for new lenses, I'd like to check/adjust the MAF to get them pin sharp. What zoom range and apeture would you set to get the best results.

Lenses are Sigmas 17-70 f2.8-4 OS and thier 70-200 f2.8 OS.

I don't have a focus test card but can rig up something with lots of contrast in a bright room in the house, put the camera on a good stable tripod and use a remote trigger to illiminate any shake.

Part of the problem for me is that I'm also +1.75 long sighted in my right eye. I've got the eyepiece focus adjusted + 3 clicks which seems to be OK but how to adjust this correctly is beyond me if the AF is out on my lenses.

Any advise and help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a shot taken with the 17-70 this morning at 70mm f4 hand held in dull conditions. ISO was 800

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i229.photobucke​t.com …or%20Canon/Autu​mnLeaf.jpg (external link)

And this was taken this morning in my kitchen in resonable light. Same settings as the first shot.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i229.photobucke​t.com …for%20Canon/Chi​llis-1.jpg (external link)

5DMk4, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-105 f4 L IS, Sigma 35 f1.4 ART, Sigma 50 f1.4 ART, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Sigma 1.4 and 2x converters, Lightroom CC.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits!
flickr (external link), Photobucket (external link), My 500PX (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 14, 2012 07:41 |  #2

First, you can adjust the diopter setting for the viewfinder without having to focus on anything - just point the camera at a blank wall and adjust until the AF squares and viewfinder info. display are sharpest. Second, for your microadjustment you might want to pick a focal length you're most likely to use a lot, and use that for the microadjustment. Since you can't use two different microadjustment settings for a zoom lens, even though these may be needed at different focal lengths, that's probably the best you can do. Do the microadjustment with aperture wide open so you will have a narrow DOF, which makes it easier to pick the area on the target in sharpest focus.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,189 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 14, 2012 07:58 |  #3

As mentioned, adjust the diopter for the focus screen, not the image it shows. I have found the best way is to adjust the diopter with the lens removed. It makes it really simple to then just focus on the focus screen.

To MFA your lenses, there are many different ways, some good, some bad but all require you to do so in a very controlled manner or you will get inconsistent results. Picking up the Focal tool is probably the easiest and most automated but at a cost. I have found the moire pattern methods to be totally useless and I never could get decent results and shooting one of the tilted targets also was touchy because you never quite knew where the focus point was focusing.

The technique that worked best for me was to simply shoot a resolution chart and look for the point of maximum resolution when viewing the image at 100%. It won't tell you which way to adjust so experimentation is necessary to determine if the lens is front or back focused, but it's great to tell you when you hit the lenses sweet spot. You can pick up a ISO 12333 focus chart here (external link)for free. Print out as large as you can for best results and place it about 50x your focal length from the lens. SHoot a few test pics at +-10, +-5, and zero and see which gives you the best resolution. Then fine tune from there. The pic below are the results of my 100-400. At zero though the overall image looked ok, it was a little soft and as you can see, the resolution was soft as well. At +10 the lens turned razor sharp and viewing the overall image really showed a difference.

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2662/4151855506_94a5f719c8_o.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Spuddyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
799 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 14, 2012 08:22 |  #4

Thanks guys. I'll do all this later today when the dogs have been walked (the sun has come out to play at last) and the daughter has been dragged (kicking and screaming no doubt) to her piano lesson.

5DMk4, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-105 f4 L IS, Sigma 35 f1.4 ART, Sigma 50 f1.4 ART, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS, Sigma 1.4 and 2x converters, Lightroom CC.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits!
flickr (external link), Photobucket (external link), My 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,312 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best setting for adjusting MAF on 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.