Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 02:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Battery & Weight restrictions on East Asia bound flights

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 15, 2012 02:46 |  #1

Recently traveled inbound to East Asia from California and at the check-in kiosk, all the sudden, "Please place your CARRY ON bags on the weight scale."

Sorry but both bags are over the weight limit (7KG/15LBS). Please check one in he said nicely. I was just concerned about the Macbook pro + Canon bodies & glass. He was nice and very patient and told me if I get it down a few more kilos then I can carry it on. So I had to unpack what was worth least. Batteries AA's, LP-e6s etc.. Canon 580ex2 all went into the checked luggage. Basically a 7LB laptop is all you can carry on as 1 carry on.

I bring this up because a year ago on a work trip. Brought the pelican storm im2500 on board + the haul pack with 2 bodies 5 lenses + flashes + batteries + external hard drives etc.. & NO questions or hassle.

Below are the links to the regulation if you fly Cathay Pacific.

Not only is there a weight restriction. There is now a Li-ION battery restriction. If you are bringing on board a Hyper Juice for the mac pro 150wh is max! If you are bringing a bunch of extra camera batteries, they must be individually wrapped or in the equipment. Basically no exposed terminals. Well you guys can refer to the links for more details.

Good luck fellow POTN'ers. Happy & Safe Travels!

http://www.cathaypacif​ic.com …ingyoutravel/ca​binbaggage (external link)

http://www.cathaypacif​ic.com …elpingyoutravel​/batteries (external link)

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

RedSloth
412 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 15, 2012 04:43 |  #2

Good to know, thanks.

Cheers
RedSloth
A Magic Lantern fan running 5D Mark III, 60D, 85L II, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L II, 100-400L II, 10-22, 17-55 and a couple of speed lights. If only my ability could match my gear!

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 29, 2012 17:09 |  #3

I'm always concerned about that as well, I try to hide my backpack at checkin out of view. If somebody takes us to the airport I have them wait with my gear somewhere else. And I wear cargo pants, figuring I could stuff lenses etc in there if necessary, though I'm not sure that would fly. Since I travel with kids I could also put things into their packs.
It's a stupid situation, I'd actually LOVE to check all that stuff in if I could be sure it's gonna arrive - and without damage - on the other side, but you can't and the insurance on lost luggage is ridiculous, certainly won't cover $10+k in a bag....

Curious how pro traveling photogs deal with this?

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera Battery & Weight restrictions on East Asia bound flights
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.