Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Nov 2012 (Sunday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rechargable AA Batteries - Yay or Nay?

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 18, 2012 09:39 |  #1

I usually buy a pack or two of AA batteries if I need my flash (and battery pack) for something I am going to shoot. Recently bought a pack (my first :confused: ) of rechagables and thinking of buying a few more packs. Now I get a mixed message.

a) "They work GREAT and last forever!"
... and ...
b) "They are OK until you charge them a "couple" (???) times, then don't expect them to last throughout the shoot!"

Yay? ... Nay?

hate to waste money on something that won't work much better than disposables anyway ... but then again, using disposables and tossing them out doesn't make sense either!

(sorry for posting here ... not sure where it should have gone :o )

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

sponsored links
dexy101
Goldmember
2,364 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 18, 2012 09:50 |  #2

I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries and they seem to have been doing the trick for me for a while now. :)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,357 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 18, 2012 09:54 |  #3

dexy101 wrote in post #15259777 (external link)
I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries and they seem to have been doing the trick for me for a while now. :)

same here

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Phototeacher
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 18, 2012 09:59 |  #4

If you normally decide at the last minute that you need to use flash, and go out and buy batteries, then rechargeables might not suit you. While some (Eneloops) hold their charge for quite a while, most NiMH batteries need to be charged before use, or at least topped off, and this may not suit your style.

As to them not lasting for a shoot, that of course depends on what/where you are shooting, your average distance from your subject, aperture in use and ISO, etc. so no, they might not last all day at a wedding, but I think you should expect to change them out at some point for an event like that anyway.

For someone who uses flash quite a bit, they are more cost-effective, and give faster re-cycle times than AA alkalines, which is what I assume you are talking about when you say you purchase batteries before a shoot.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,074 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 18, 2012 11:00 |  #5

Phototeacher wrote in post #15259814 (external link)
If you normally decide at the last minute that you need to use flash, and go out and buy batteries, then rechargeables might not suit you. While some (Eneloops) hold their charge for quite a while, most Lion batteries need to be charged before use, or at least topped off, and this may not suit your style.

As to them not lasting for a shoot, that of course depends on what/where you are shooting, your average distance from your subject, aperture in use and ISO, etc. so no, they might not last all day at a wedding, but I think you should expect to change them out at some point for an event like that anyway.

For someone who uses flash quite a bit, they are more cost-effective, and give faster re-cycle times than AA alkalines, which is what I assume you are talking about when you say you purchase batteries before a shoot.

+1, I believe they are cost effective, having a charged extra set is a good idea when you go out.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

johneo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 18, 2012 11:21 |  #6

Phototeacher wrote in post #15259814 (external link)
If you normally decide at the last minute that you need to use flash, and go out and buy batteries, then rechargeables might not suit you.

No, I'm the type that will know I need plenty of battery and/or will bring them "just in case" no matter what. Also the type that would make sure they are ALL recharged before packing them. (here's the anal part of me ... I likely would be sure to bring a pack of unopened alkalines "just in case" :o )

I'm thinking an average wedding or something like that and as I said above, I would likely have plenty of rechaged and alkalines as well.

My main concern is , as stated, do the crap out after a few uses / recharges? Would it be a waste of money if I was planning on a number of shoots (weddings?) and invested in rechargables only to find out I shouldn't have bothered and just stuck to throw away alkalines?

AH HA! That's what I was looking for!!! Thank you!!!

40mm pancake

johneo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Nov 18, 2012 11:27 |  #7

2n10 wrote in post #15260027 (external link)
+1, I believe they are cost effective, having a charged extra set is a good idea when you go out.

And Thank You! Will begin using them and putting them to the test ASAP ...

... (warning to my dogs!) Look out pups! You are going to be my test subjects this week, so be ready to pose and see a lot of flash! :lol: (first time since August, we will have all 8 of our Labs (9 dogs total, counting our Norwich Terrier) home from the show circuit!)

40mm pancake

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 18, 2012 11:33 |  #8

I use only Ansemann and Eneloop rechargeables and have no problems. However, it pays to buy a good charger--one that monitors the charge in each battery separately. I use an Ansemann charger, which works fine, although the first one broke and had to be replaced under warranty.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 18, 2012 11:39 |  #9

I've been using rechargable batteries for the past 10 years and couldnt be happier. They dont last forever but I've gotten 5 years out of my cheap energizer nimhs. The cost savings over disposible units is tremendous...

That being said I would get at least 2-4 sets,power checker and a car charger.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 18, 2012 12:02 |  #10

Rechargeable FTW.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 18, 2012 12:45 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

I use re-chargeables in my flash units. They have lower internal resistance, so they re-cycle the flash faster. I quit using them in my grips when one day, my T1i battery meter showed 3/4 charge and the main control dial quit working. I thought my camera had died. It worked fine in "P" mode, but I could change no settings in Av or Manual. I went home and put in the LP-E5 and everything was fine. Now I have lots of rechargeables for my flashes. If you are going to use them in the grip, carry recently charged extras or alkaline spares.

Gear List

TheFarmer
267 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 18, 2012 13:14 |  #12

I've been using Eneloops for a while in my current flash unit and previous flash units. They are magnificent.

5DM3 | 35mm F2 | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 F4L | Canon GP-E2 GPS | Canon ST-E3-RT | 2x 600EX-RT | The End

dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 18, 2012 14:04 |  #13

Eneloops Rule .

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 18, 2012 14:06 |  #14

Another Eneloops user here, so far so good I have had no issues so cannot complain. I will stay with them now. A good smart charger helps as well.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 18, 2012 14:10 |  #15

dpds68 wrote in post #15260597 (external link)
Eneloops Rule .

Just get Eneloops.... Otherwise you will have 25 more people tell you how much they love Eneloops haha.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

sponsored links

4,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rechargable AA Batteries - Yay or Nay?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.