Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Nov 2012 (Monday) 20:44
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which Lens?"
Canon 35mm f/2 IS
28.2%
Sigma 35mm f/1.4
71.8%

227 voters, 227 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So what new 35mm are you most interested in? Sigma or Canon?

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,339 posts
Gallery: 527 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 23, 2012 18:35 |  #61

andrikos wrote in post #15279036 (external link)
No Kenji, just no. ;)

Think of a (new) 1990 Nissan Sunny sold today for $15,000.
and the Infiniti G30x is sold for $45,000.

PS probAbly probAbly probAbly probAbly probAbly probAbly probAbly probAbly :D

Shhhhh!

Lol, Seriously im not against the pricing on the 35mm f/2... Everyone seems to be getting the Sigma though

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2012 18:43 |  #62

Invertalon wrote in post #15280953 (external link)
I have a feeling you will never stop waiting...

How come? :confused: I'm sure Canon will upgrade the 35L eventually

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Invertalon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 25, 2012 00:21 |  #63

Not with IS on a f/1.4 lens. If I read correctly that is very difficult to do optically due to the large aperture. Does anybody offer IS on a f/1.4 lens from any company?

Canon will for sure update the 35L, but it will not have IS. And it will cost $2000+ easily. I would expect $2300 honestly.

They have the 35mm f/2 IS now...If you need the IS.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 25, 2012 02:25 |  #64

Invertalon wrote in post #15285634 (external link)
Not with IS on a f/1.4 lens. If I read correctly that is very difficult to do optically due to the large aperture. Does anybody offer IS on a f/1.4 lens from any company?

Canon will for sure update the 35L, but it will not have IS. And it will cost $2000+ easily. I would expect $2300 honestly.

They have the 35mm f/2 IS now...If you need the IS.

Are you secretly a Canon engineer in disguise? You seem awfully sure it won't have IS...:cry:

But on a serious note, I don't think it's a physical issue of a large aperture - the actual aperture diaphragm on the 35L is tiny. The 85L...now that is big

Lenses like the 200 f/2L IS have a far larger aperture diaphragm yet have IS

It's my belief and hope that:
- The video market
- The diminishing improvements from camera sensor high ISO improvements
- user demand from people like me :D
will push Canon into incorporating IS into fast primes

We've already seen it with lenses like the 200 f/2L IS (I'm sure back when the 200 f/1.8L was out everyone said "IS is impossible") and the Nikon UWA zooms and the 35 f/2 IS etc.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

axl_kollar
436 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 25, 2012 02:52 |  #65

Oh well, I'm in the minority but I'd appreciate 4 stops IS ove 1 stop of dof/light any time and anywhere...

new to Canon
1D MkIII + EF24-70/2.8 L USM + EF70-200/2.8 L USM + EF40/2.8 STM + 430EXII|ST-E2
my PBase (external link) --- Grandpa's adventures (external link) --- Living London (external link) --- my Flickr (external link)

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 25, 2012 05:24 |  #66

andrikos wrote in post #15279257 (external link)
If you look up the forum is called "Canon EF and EF-S lenses" ;)

And yet, we talk about MP-E and TS-E lenses on this forum too, as well as EOS mount non-Canon lenses ;)

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 25, 2012 05:52 |  #67

Echo Johnson wrote in post #15286049 (external link)
And yet, we talk about MP-E and TS-E lenses on this forum too, as well as EOS mount non-Canon lenses ;)

The point was that in this forum we discuss lenses that fit the EOS (and now EOS-M) mount whether they are Canon or 3rd party.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is not a Nikon forum.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 25, 2012 09:08 |  #68

rick_reno wrote in post #15279243 (external link)
Sigma. Hard to use the Canon version on a Nikon body.

andrikos wrote in post #15279257 (external link)
If you look up the forum is called "Canon EF and EF-S lenses" ;)

Echo Johnson wrote in post #15286049 (external link)

andrikos wrote in post #15286081 (external link)
The point was that in this forum we discuss lenses that fit the EOS (and now EOS-M) mount whether they are Canon or 3rd party.

You will note that this forum is subtitled:

Everything about lenses for Canon digital EOS system.

Other camera brands need not apply.

This forum is for discussion of lenses (of any mount) used on Canon EOS camera bodies, whether they are direct mounts or via adapters. If you use a body that does not have some kind of Canon EOS mount, you will have to find somewhere else to discuss the topic. For Nikon, there is a thread in the General Photography section.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 25, 2012 09:19 |  #69

andrikos wrote in post #15286081 (external link)

My comment was just a lame attempt at humor, you wouldn't catch me here defending a Nikonian ;)

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickr (external link) | EchoJ.deviantART (external link)

Bearmann
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Location: I live behind Graceland in a tool shed. I often meet the man early in the morning at Krispy Kreme.

Nov 25, 2012 11:57 |  #70

I was leaning towrd the Sigma, but today I think I am leaning toward the Canon. I like the smaller size of the Canon which will be better for travel. The 4 stop IS is great, and I love to take food photos on vacation. I don't expect to be an early adopter of either, but am waiting on reviews of both. If the Canon is pretty darn sharp (even if less sharp than the Sigma) and has nice bokeh, that will seal the deal. The IS on my new Canon 70-300 is incredible- it's like entering a new world of photography.

Barry

http://b-r-s-photo.zenfolio.com (external link) (remove the dashes)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,339 posts
Gallery: 527 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 25, 2012 16:34 |  #71

^- I think the Canon f/2 will be just as sharp as the Sigma at f/2, an f/2 design is less extreme after all and CAnon's latest lenses have been optically stunning

I wonder what the Bokeh will be like...

I'm on the fence between the Sigma and the Canon still, which is fine, still waiting on my 28 to sell

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 25, 2012 16:47 |  #72

KenjiS wrote in post #15288019 (external link)
^- I think the Canon f/2 will be just as sharp as the Sigma at f/2, an f/2 design is less extreme after all and CAnon's latest lenses have been optically stunning

I wonder what the Bokeh will be like...

I'm on the fence between the Sigma and the Canon still, which is fine, still waiting on my 28 to sell

I agree that the recent Canon releases have been of very high quality. Perhaps, they are upgrading all of their line-ups preparing for a new generation of 40+ megapixel cameras. And, it is not that only new expensive lenses are of high quality such as 24-70 mkii, 28 prime etc., new cheaper ones are also good. The 150$ 40 2.8 is very good.

Even the 18-55 EOS-M lens kit, which I have been using in the last coupe of days , is also very capable. No one did a test on the 18-55 EOS-M yet but from my pictures, it is performing as good as the 24-105 L. That's how good it is. I can't wait to see the reviews of this litter lens.

Perhaps, Canon is applying a new formula for all of their optics ?

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 25, 2012 21:13 |  #73

definitely sticking to canon, no more 3rd party lenses for me, resale value is not up there with the L's

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Rally ­ Man
199 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 26, 2012 01:06 |  #74

Sigma, I buy to use, not to sell.

canon | sigma | thinktank | sandisk | lexar | radiopopper | rrs | b+w | eneloop | creative light | westcott | upstrap

deanedward
399 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 26, 2012 01:12 |  #75

sigma. i've already seen how things looks like at f/2. it's time to see it at f/1.4.

Make yourself heard
EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 70D, EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, Speedlite 430EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deanmejos/ (external link)

sponsored links

9,051 views & 0 likes for this thread
So what new 35mm are you most interested in? Sigma or Canon?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.