Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 00:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does anyone on here own a 1DX who does not work professionally?

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 22, 2012 19:45 |  #106

westernminnguy wrote in post #15277531 (external link)
Nice gear list. I bet you have a lot of fun shooting.

So what do you shoot?

:)

I am a sports shooter. Motorsport, football, basketball, volleyball mainly.

I am in Canada for the most part. But spend some time in the winter in Arizona. :)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

sponsored links
westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 22, 2012 19:54 |  #107

rdalrt wrote in post #15277679 (external link)
I am a sports shooter. Motorsport, football, basketball, volleyball mainly.

I am in Canada for the most part. But spend some time in the winter in Arizona. :)

I'm guessing Canadian.

Got pictures to share?

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 22, 2012 19:55 |  #108

westernminnguy wrote in post #15277709 (external link)
I'm guessing Canadian.

Got pictures to share?

My latest post in the sports section. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1248870

My Junk ;)

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 22, 2012 19:59 |  #109

rdalrt wrote in post #15277721 (external link)
My latest post in the sports section. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1248870

Nice shooting. Those shots look like they would work for a sports section. I used to shoot for the local newspapers. Tried to get action shots and expressions; nicely done.

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 22, 2012 20:18 |  #110

westernminnguy wrote in post #15277736 (external link)
Nice shooting. Those shots look like they would work for a sports section. I used to shoot for the local newspapers. Tried to get action shots and expressions; nicely done.

Thanks.

I am not a birder, but I dig the pics in the link in your sig.

My Junk ;)

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 22, 2012 22:29 |  #111

I'm going to get one and I'm just an hobbyist, I have a few things left on my wish list then on to the 1DX. Should be my after tax purchase spring 2015 !

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 22, 2012 22:59 |  #112

My wife says I can get one.......as soon as I finish her kitchen. :-P

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

No ­ One
372 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 22, 2012 23:37 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #113

I decided to get the 1DX as I've heard that images come out straight out of it even without post processing, are very good already.Meaning,in jpeg mode and since I don't know how to post process,I decided to make the plunge and so far,I'm very happy with my new toy.

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 22, 2012 23:55 |  #114

No One wrote in post #15278320 (external link)
I decided to get the 1DX as I've heard that images come out straight out of it even without post processing, are very good already.Meaning,in jpeg mode and since I don't know how to post process,I decided to make the plunge and so far,I'm very happy with my new toy.

correct out of the box jpgs are wonderful

Early Adopter

muz64
48 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 23, 2012 00:21 as a reply to  @ SPDnTRXI's post |  #115

I confess - I own a 1DX and I'm not a professional. I came from a 5D2 - tried the 5D3, but the 1DX just blew me away.
I'm the family 'tog, and I shoot everything from indoor/outdoor hockey, basketball, theatre, circus, weddings, parties, pets, snow - you name it. The 1DX is a solid camera, and does everything brilliantly.

1DX | 5D Mark II | 24-70 f2.8L II | 40mm STM | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm f1.8 | 135mm f2[COLOR=red]L[COLOR=b​lack] | 70-200 f2.8L IS II|

cookie99
482 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 23, 2012 06:48 as a reply to  @ muz64's post |  #116

Well having most of Canon's fine Cameras I bought the 1DX and 5DMKIII.

I sold the 1DX and bought two more 5DMKIIIs.

Why, I am in my sixties and an outdoor and wildlife photographer and two 1DXs would require me to hire porters to carry them and the lenses I own and having a lifelong love affair of great glass, I carry 3 MKIIIs and 6 L Lenses + my 500. F4 and Monopod and can hike all day with them in my backpak + my 1 man tent + my down sleeping bag, my dried food, water and Hexamine stove.

Whlist a brilliant camera, it is not a useful camera and when my hiking days are over I suspect I will do the wise thing and return to Nikon.

Chris Cooke "Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni"

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 23, 2012 10:38 |  #117

I've not got the 1Dx, but have high hopes of the 1Ds replacement when Canon actually get around to producing it. Big money I know, but provided they can out perform the latest high MP Nikons* then it should be worth it to me.

* Things like DR, superb low ISO performance, noise issues solved (not just slightly improved) are important to me. If Canon cannot come up with something better than Nikon they will not be seeing my cash. I have been considering a shift to medium format if that is the case.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 23, 2012 22:25 |  #118

I had a play with a 1dx today and am now very seriously thinking of buying one sometime within the next couple of days.

As my some of my current lenses are designed for the smaller APS-C type sensor I will also need to buy a couple of new lenses for the 1dx.

If I do get the 1dx I will get a 24-70 lens, but am a little bit unsure as to what would be the best wide angle lens to also get. I currently use the Sigma 8-16 on my 7d and like the results I can get with that combo.

Does anybody have any recommendations towards a suitable wide angle lens to match with the 1dx?

I would also like to ask if anyone jumped straight from the 7d to the 1dx, and if so, how much of a learning curve was there to become totally familiar with the 1dx. The only reason I ask this is I fly out to Hawaii in about one week's time, and would like to try and have developed a full understanding of the camera and its capabilities in the time before I leave.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

No ­ One
372 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 24, 2012 00:29 |  #119

doofuss wrote in post #15281716 (external link)
I had a play with a 1dx today and am now very seriously thinking of buying one sometime within the next couple of days.

As my some of my current lenses are designed for the smaller APS-C type sensor I will also need to buy a couple of new lenses for the 1dx.

If I do get the 1dx I will get a 24-70 lens, but am a little bit unsure as to what would be the best wide angle lens to also get. I currently use the Sigma 8-16 on my 7d and like the results I can get with that combo.

Does anybody have any recommendations towards a suitable wide angle lens to match with the 1dx?

I would also like to ask if anyone jumped straight from the 7d to the 1dx, and if so, how much of a learning curve was there to become totally familiar with the 1dx. The only reason I ask this is I fly out to Hawaii in about one week's time, and would like to try and have developed a full understanding of the camera and its capabilities in the time before I leave.

How about,getting the 16-35 F2.8L MKII lens.Actually,in my case,I am also thinking of getting the 8-15 F4L fish eye lens to make full use of the full frame sensor of the 1DX.IN regards to your question about the learning curve of the 1DX from a 7D,I think that 1 week is sufficient time for you to get used to the former.Even less.

dexy101
Goldmember
2,364 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 24, 2012 04:05 |  #120

I think I'm just going to get one also. 5Dmk3 would be nice but I want the top of the line. I'll aim for April - may time for getting one.

sponsored links

37,430 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does anyone on here own a 1DX who does not work professionally?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.