Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 21:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio Lighting

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2012 14:45 |  #16

PeaceFire wrote in post #15288898 (external link)
Having owned the 430EX II in the past, I'd like to disagree with you that these $250 flashes are better than the YN $45 options just because they have e-TTL. e-TTL is great for on-camera and if you trigger with Radio Poppers or Pocket Wizards, but since OP wanted an affordable off-camera lighting kit that doesn't quite work. We're talking at least a $750-800 investment there and it doesn't do what the OP wants.

Right, I wasn't suggesting ETTL for the off-camera setup, sorry if I was unclear.

If you ONLY want off-camera lighting, then a set of three fully-manual YN-560s is fine. For me, the 430EXII does double duty: off-camera in manual mode for studio or other multi-flash work; and on-camera ETTL for when I'm NOT doing studio work, just doing walkabout snapshots and such.

Also, the 430EX II is not an optical slave. So I'm not really sure how you're getting away with triggering that, but last I checked this was not possible with the 430EX II. Which means OP would also have to buy a Master slave, which is another added expense which now brings this kit cost up to about $1,000.

I put the trigger on the camera, the receiver on the 430EXII (which is in manual mode, not ETTL mode), and the Yongnuos are set to optical slave. The 430EXII doesn't have to be the main light in order to trigger the other flashes in this manner. If I'm doing a three-light setup, the 430EXII will be the hair or rim light, so (lack of) power isn't an issue.

I haven't personally used the YN-565, though it may be a perfectly fine choice for on-camera ETTL.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 26, 2012 15:21 |  #17

nathancarter wrote in post #15291914 (external link)
Right, I wasn't suggesting ETTL for the off-camera setup, sorry if I was unclear.

If you ONLY want off-camera lighting, then a set of three fully-manual YN-560s is fine. For me, the 430EXII does double duty: off-camera in manual mode for studio or other multi-flash work; and on-camera ETTL for when I'm NOT doing studio work, just doing walkabout snapshots and such.

I put the trigger on the camera, the receiver on the 430EXII (which is in manual mode, not ETTL mode), and the Yongnuos are set to optical slave. The 430EXII doesn't have to be the main light in order to trigger the other flashes in this manner. If I'm doing a three-light setup, the 430EXII will be the hair or rim light, so (lack of) power isn't an issue.

I haven't personally used the YN-565, though it may be a perfectly fine choice for on-camera ETTL.

Ah! OK, I was confused. I thought you used 3x 430EX IIs which wouldn't work without triggers or a slave. I didn't realize you had a Yongnuo, too, that was the optical slave. That makes sense now.

Although, these days, for the price your can get a 580EX II used for about $100 more than a 430EX II used, so if you can swing that I'd go that route. My 430 did serve its purpose when I had it, but I didn't miss it once it was gone. Just not a fan in general, but that's a personal thing.

Oh, also, OP, if you can afford monolights and only plan to use your lighting indoors the previous poster who recommended that kit was spot on. If you can get it that cheap, it's a great kit for roughly the same amount as the kit I recommended. I prefer my kit since I use it both in and out of the studio so I need the portability, but if I was solely in studio I would have gone for some Alienbees.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 26, 2012 19:23 |  #18

lots of people I know started with alienbees - www.alienbees.com (external link). Many shooters I know who work for some prominent magazines still use alienbees to this day. They aren't as cheap as the BH kits or using flashes, but also are a bit more powerful

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 27, 2012 08:04 |  #19

e-TTL is great for on-camera and if you trigger with Radio Poppers or Pocket Wizards, but since OP wanted an affordable off-camera lighting kit that doesn't quite work. We're talking at least a $750-800 investment there and it doesn't do what the OP wants.

I am curious as to whether those new Yongnuo YN622C's will change people's opinion on the affordability issue of off camera ETTL. Looks very promising and for $80 a pair, very affordable.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

pbisfun
231 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 27, 2012 08:26 |  #20

Check out http://www.cowboystudi​o.com/ (external link) they carry very cheap but usable great to learn with and start the money come in I started with one of there Mono-light kits two 160W strobes with 2X4 soft boxes for around 155.00 the lights lasted about 2 years before I had issues with them. and I got a backdrop and stand for that price. once I started making money I moved to Whitlighting

the light is seen by all but not understood by all
http://photoSentimenta​l.com (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 27, 2012 12:02 |  #21

cory1848 wrote in post #15294784 (external link)
I am curious as to whether those new Yongnuo YN622C's will change people's opinion on the affordability issue of off camera ETTL. Looks very promising and for $80 a pair, very affordable.

Paired with YN-568s with e-TTL, HSS, AND a modeling light... Yongnuo is definitely listening to their customers as to what we want and giving it to us. I haven't spent much time looking into the YN-568s but the only flaw I've heard of so far is no external power pack. But for under $200 you can't really complain about it not being absolutely perfect.

So I think you're right. It'll change the affordability of OCF e-TTL for a lot of people soon. And I see that as a good thing, personally.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

3,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Studio Lighting
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.