Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Nov 2012 (Friday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sling Backpacks: Tamrac Evolution or what???

HuskyKMA
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 23, 2012 22:01 |  #1

I've been looking at the sling-style backpacks as a solution for holding more gear and being easier to carry. The Tamrac Evolution 9 (external link) has caught my eye. Does anyone have any thoughts this pack, pro or con? Or is there a different one you'd recommend? Whatever I get I'd like it to be larger sized so that it will hold more gear down the road, and so that it will fit me better (I'm a big guy!).

My current gear is a 40D w/ grip, 10-22mm, and 28-135mm, along with a tripod remote and the usual various other odds and ends. Upcoming purchases will likely be a 70-200mm f/2.8 and/or a 100-400mm, so I'd like those to fit in the bag as well. Tripod attachments are a great added bonus.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 23, 2012 22:11 |  #2

There's also the Kata 3-in-1 series to consider.

Just a comment about larger backpacks to hold more gear down the road...I used to have the same mentality. But then I thought...when am I ever really going to carry ALL of my gear with me? Maybe when I'm traveling, but that's why I have a Pelican 1510 for my carry-on. Otherwise, when I'm out and about, hiking, or even on vacation, I rarely need ALL of my lenses with me. I find that having a smaller backpack forces me to choose my tools wisely and learn to shoot with what I've got. I used to carry all of my lenses with me in a Flipside 400...but I found myself constantly changing lenses for the situation. Now I just choose two lenses that I feel will get me through the day and carry on.

Just some food for thought..

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 23, 2012 22:13 |  #3

And FWIW, I considered both the Evolution and 3-in-1. The overall consensus I got from searching reviews is that the concept of having both a traditional backpack and sling in one bag is great, but generally both are poorly executed.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

HuskyKMA
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Now what?"
1,749 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 23, 2012 22:25 |  #4

Good thoughts, thanks V35!

Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N Grip| 400mm f/5.6L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH-55

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sling Backpacks: Tamrac Evolution or what???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.