Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 25 Nov 2012 (Sunday) 20:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Slow Sync Flash

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 25, 2012 20:43 |  #1

This is my first attempt at slow sync flash to capture light trails and freeze the moving object with 2nd curtain flash. Why does the horse and carriage appear as ghost image?

Is the flash power too low? Is the object out of flash range? I can't remember the distance between the camera and the object but my wild guess is it's at least 25 feet (I'm very bad with distances so I could be completely off). I was standing on the sidewalk on a 2-way street in Riverside, California.

Settings are as follows:
Rebel T2i, 11mm, ISO100, f/8, 2 sec. Second curtain flash.

sponsored links
Fire0725
222 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 25, 2012 21:22 |  #2

I love it! I love the modern feel of the lights against the ghost of the horse drawn carriage! Well done! :D

Canon 7D
Just learning and having fun!

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 25, 2012 21:33 |  #3

My guess is that the flash power is too low for f/8 at that distance.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,229 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2012 21:33 |  #4

Its ghosted because its underexposed and because of the time exposure the things behind it are already exposed.

morph2_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 25, 2012 22:26 |  #5

Thanks Fire0725 but I wasn't going for the ghosted look but if you like the way it turns out, I guess that might work for me too :-)

PhotosGuy and Gonzogolf,
I remember cranking up flash expsoure compensation by +2 for that shot so the flash is already at its max output. I guess one option for me is to get closer to the object to make it appear as a whole, right?

Northwoods ­ Bill
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 25, 2012 22:30 |  #6

It might not be the image you had planned but it is a very cool image. Nice job

Bill R
Web:https://www.flickr.com​/photos/whitebirch/ (external link)

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 26, 2012 02:47 |  #7

morph2_7 wrote in post #15289020 (external link)
Why does the horse and carriage appear as ghost image?

Because they aren't at that point in the frame for the entire exposure. At any time when the shutter is open and the horse and carriage are not in that location, whatever's behind them will expose on the sensor. This leads to the background showing up, even through the horse and carriage.

To prevent them from being a ghost image, you need to do one of three things.

• use a faster shutter speed
  • Make sure they do not move during the exposure
  • have the background behind them completely black so there is nothing to show through them.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2012 05:15 |  #8

morph2_7 wrote in post #15289020 (external link)
Why does the horse and carriage appear as ghost image?

Probably the same reason there are no cars in this image...

http://www.flickr.com …157627629180285​/lightbox/ (external link)

This was a 5 minute exposure and I was not expecting this. I was expecting lots of multi-colored streaks in this shot. But what I got was a deserted highway on a very busy day. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

morph2_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 26, 2012 10:43 |  #9

Northwoods Bill wrote in post #15289433 (external link)
It might not be the image you had planned but it is a very cool image. Nice job

Thank you Bill.

Tiberius47 wrote in post #15289947 (external link)
To prevent them from being a ghost image, you need to do one of three things.

• use a faster shutter speed
  • Make sure they do not move during the exposure
  • have the background behind them completely black so there is nothing to show through them.

You might have missed the point. I'd like to capture light trails and freeze the moving object with a flash firing right before the 2nd curtain closes. I don't think I can get that effect if I do one of your suggested actions.

morph2_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 26, 2012 10:46 |  #10

CameraMan wrote in post #15290142 (external link)
This was a 5 minute exposure and I was not expecting this. I was expecting lots of multi-colored streaks in this shot. But what I got was a deserted highway on a very busy day. :)

I'm surprised there is no trails of light. Did you take it with a 10-stop (or darker) ND filter during daytime? Perhaps cars don't have their lights switched on at the time so you didn't capture any light streaks.

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 26, 2012 11:40 |  #11

Even though it wasn't what you were after that's a pretty cool effect that can be used to make some pretty interesting images...if you understand how it worked.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2012 12:12 |  #12

morph2_7 wrote in post #15291039 (external link)
I'm surprised there is no trails of light. Did you take it with a 10-stop (or darker) ND filter during daytime? Perhaps cars don't have their lights switched on at the time so you didn't capture any light streaks.

It was taken during the day. If I recall there were cars with day time running lamps on (required on cars 1995 and newer I believe) and I used a piece of #12 shade welding glass for this shot. This allowed for the 5 minute open shutter.

I was expecting to see trails of light or cars but what I got was a barren highway. With this result I also got some pretty cool downtown Atlanta shots of seemingly deserted highway.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,229 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 26, 2012 12:17 |  #13

CameraMan wrote in post #15291339 (external link)
I was expecting to see trails of light or cars but what I got was a barren highway. With this result I also got some pretty cool downtown Atlanta shots of seemingly deserted highway.

My only trip through Atlanta was near rush hour, I prayed for something akin to a deserted highway.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 26, 2012 12:42 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #15291359 (external link)
My only trip through Atlanta was near rush hour, I prayed for something akin to a deserted highway.

You mean like this? :)

http://www.flickr.com …/in/set-72157627629180285 (external link)

I'd LOVE to do this in Chicago whenever I go back up there to visit.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 26, 2012 13:06 |  #15

The mission Inn is only a couple blocks from my house but with the huge crowd I didn't even want to bother.

Went last year with a point and shoot and even then it was troublesome!

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links

3,220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Slow Sync Flash
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.