Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 27 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM (2)

EKOEPP
312 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 20, 2015 12:42 |  #3376

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8585/15461450204_fb5fc4b894_b.jpg

Canon MarkII 5D * Canon 70-200mm f/4L * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II * Canon 50mm f/1.8 * Venus 60mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro

sponsored links
idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,874 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 20, 2015 21:43 |  #3377

I have no idea how to shoot landscape, use a wide angle lens or even a zoom lens for that matter! But, I grabbed one of these 17-40's to give it a go. I stuffed my camera and lens into my pack for my evening ride. Here is a shot. I think a GND and ND are in my future! Also, I think it is going to be difficult to figure out how to use distortion to it's advantage vs shooting to avoid it. Regardless, this thread is amazing! Keep em' coming!

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8633/16409655690_6b3d4f2d4f_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/r14L​W7  (external link) LR-8828-2 (external link) by cory.shuler (external link), on Flickr

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link) flickr (external link)
Feedback

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,101 posts
Gallery: 423 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 21, 2015 08:14 |  #3378

Out on the beach this week, it was so cold...a different version of the same scene that I shared in the 5DII thread...this one is a vertical pano...my fingers are still sore and the windburn on my face will take a few days to go away.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8664/16600576542_44852c13df_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rhWi​3W  (external link) Stumps (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,874 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2015 10:14 |  #3379

^^Very Nice^^

Another from my ride yesterday. Clearly this was not the best time of the day to shoot, but it was what it was. I REALY need a GND. Can anyone comment on colin vs Hitech? Not looking to break the bank while experimenting with the landscape thing.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/16394938347_04f794a9c9_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qYLk​YP  (external link) LR-8830-2 (external link) by cory.shuler (external link), on Flickr

Cory
Feedback

EKOEPP
312 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 21, 2015 17:22 as a reply to  @ idsurfer's post |  #3380

^^ why not f/16 ISO 100 here? Maybe 1/320. I'd like to see that. No filter needed- maybe light room. What a sick location!

Canon MarkII 5D * Canon 70-200mm f/4L * Canon 17-40mm f/4L * Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II * Canon 50mm f/1.8 * Venus 60mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by p00kienrayray.

Feb 21, 2015 19:08 |  #3381

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8617/16618264575_5c272956d1_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rjuX​62  (external link) _MG_1435.jpg (external link) by cassy.samel (external link), on Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 21, 2015 20:22 |  #3382

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8647/16581208716_d62055e998_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rge2​EU  (external link) _MG_1426.jpg (external link) by cassy.samel (external link), on Flickr

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,874 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2015 21:00 |  #3383

EKOEPP wrote in post #17442889 (external link)
^^ why not f/16 ISO 100 here? Maybe 1/320. I'd like to see that. No filter needed- maybe light room. What a sick location!

Well, in terms of settings I guess I could have dropped the ISO to 100. But, I have no real experience with tiny apertures. I went with f/10 with the thought that I am experimenting with avoidance of lens diffraction. Next question for owners of this lens is at what aperture does diffraction start to become a problem. Better phrased, how small of aperture are people generally comfortable shooting this lens? Finally, I did do more PP in LR to the shot above than I would like. I tried to expose as much for the highlights as I could knowing I could pull them back in post while not having the foreground totally dark. I used the ND filter in LR to pull the sky back and push the foreground. Personally, this is more manipulation of the original file's exposure than I would like to so. Hence my question about filters. I'd like to snap a shot and have the original file look as close to what I hope the final output will be. Basically, I'd like to get it as correct as I can "in camera". This is my first foray into this type of photography. Sorry for all the questions.

Cory
Feedback

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,101 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 22, 2015 07:03 |  #3384

idsurfer wrote in post #17443138 (external link)
Well, in terms of settings I guess I could have dropped the ISO to 100. But, I have no real experience with tiny apertures. I went with f/10 with the thought that I am experimenting with avoidance of lens diffraction. Next question for owners of this lens is at what aperture does diffraction start to become a problem. Better phrased, how small of aperture are people generally comfortable shooting this lens? Finally, I did do more PP in LR to the shot above than I would like. I tried to expose as much for the highlights as I could knowing I could pull them back in post while not having the foreground totally dark. I used the ND filter in LR to pull the sky back and push the foreground. Personally, this is more manipulation of the original file's exposure than I would like to so. Hence my question about filters. I'd like to snap a shot and have the original file look as close to what I hope the final output will be. Basically, I'd like to get it as correct as I can "in camera". This is my first foray into this type of photography. Sorry for all the questions.

I have used the 17-40L all the way up to the f/22 limit if needed, it suffers from diffraction much less than my EFS 10-22...but as a general rule for landscapes and the like, I try to stay between f/8 and f/10.

As far as GND filters vs doing it in LR...whats the difference really, its manipulation of the scene, at least in LR you get more control. Round GND filters are a PITA in my book, very limiting on composition and creativity really.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,874 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by idsurfer.

Feb 22, 2015 09:11 |  #3385

TRhoads wrote in post #17443605 (external link)
I have used the 17-40L all the way up to the f/22 limit if needed, it suffers from diffraction much less than my EFS 10-22...but as a general rule for landscapes and the like, I try to stay between f/8 and f/10.

As far as GND filters vs doing it in LR...whats the difference really, its manipulation of the scene, at least in LR you get more control. Round GND filters are a PITA in my book, very limiting on composition and creativity really.

Thanks for the info on diffraction. I'll have to play with it a bit. With regards to filters vs PP, It really comes down to the fact that there are a lot of times the camera simply cannot capture the dynamic range of the scene in a single exposure, as in the case with my shot above. If I would have exposed for the sky the ground would have been way dark. Expose for the ground, sky totally blown out. I had to find a happy medium exposure, get what I could, then take it to LR to "manipulate" the file to create an image similar to what I was seeing on that occasion. Personally I would rather use GND's or reverse GND's to help properly expose for the different aspects of the entire scene (i.e. bright sky/dark foreground) from the get go. Get it as close in camera as possible. Then take the file to post and gently tweak to taste. I really don't like pushing exposures more than a stop in post, if that much. I think you loose detail. Pulling back on the exposure is a little more forgiving. I'm not sure I consider using filters to help properly expose for the dynamic range of a particular scene "manipulating of the scene". Just my take on it.

PS. Your flickr is amazing! I've been following you for quite some time. Also, I think I sold you a lens a few years back! I just make that connection! ;-)a

Cory
Feedback

cancan7
504 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by cancan7 with reason 'embedded picture didn't appear'.

Feb 22, 2015 09:25 |  #3386

taken at the Marina Barrage, Singapore

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D III, 7D(gripped)
17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 2.8L IS(v1), 24L(v1) 35 2, 50 1.8II, 50L, 85LII, 100 2.8 macro, MP-E 65, Sigma 15 2.8 FE, 150-500, MT-24 EX, 580EX, 430EX
My flickr (external link)

gary88
Goldmember
4,008 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 22, 2015 13:19 |  #3387

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7337/16552021172_fb617e4dc9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rdDr​eo  (external link) BMW i8 rear detail (external link) by garyhebding (external link), on Flickr

www.garyhebdingjr.com (external link)|Flickr  (external link)IGear List|Alamy | (external link)Instagram: @garyhebding

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,101 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 22, 2015 13:20 |  #3388

idsurfer wrote in post #17443757 (external link)
Thanks for the info on diffraction. I'll have to play with it a bit. With regards to filters vs PP, It really comes down to the fact that there are a lot of times the camera simply cannot capture the dynamic range of the scene in a single exposure, as in the case with my shot above. If I would have exposed for the sky the ground would have been way dark. Expose for the ground, sky totally blown out. I had to find a happy medium exposure, get what I could, then take it to LR to "manipulate" the file to create an image similar to what I was seeing on that occasion. Personally I would rather use GND's or reverse GND's to help properly expose for the different aspects of the entire scene (i.e. bright sky/dark foreground) from the get go. Get it as close in camera as possible. Then take the file to post and gently tweak to taste. I really don't like pushing exposures more than a stop in post, if that much. I think you loose detail. Pulling back on the exposure is a little more forgiving. I'm not sure I consider using filters to help properly expose for the dynamic range of a particular scene "manipulating of the scene". Just my take on it.

PS. Your flickr is amazing! I've been following you for quite some time. Also, I think I sold you a lens a few years back! I just make that connection! ;-)a

I hear you about trying to get as much right in the field as you can, it certainly makes it easier when you get into post production...I guess I always felt limited with a circular GND since the graduation line is in the middle, it makes compositions a bit more limited. I have also noticed, even with my Lee 4x6 GND, that there is a little difference in color cast when using it, something that can usually be softened in post...but it still means some more work on finishing. There is always a tradeoff. One thing that I have done in the past, is to shoot a really quick bracketed burst, I am steady enough that I can get my exposures with very little movement if I am not using a tripod...which is rarely anymore...then they can be blended in post...

Thanks for the kind words...I appreciate it...and yes, the Tammy 28-75 was a good lens while I had it...a good intermediate lens on my way to landing my 24-70L that I can't live without!

spiderm0nkey
62 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 22, 2015 17:23 |  #3389

Taken from horseback during a trek through the Otago high country in New Zealand on Saturday. I never give this lens enough credit for its versatility and usefulness.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …ster-4751_zps569c86f9.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D Mk 2 + Grip | 40 F/2.8 | 17-40 F/4 L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 22, 2015 18:50 |  #3390

The zoom ring on my copy of this lens seems to creep to 19mm everytime I think it's set at 17mm. Not a big deal for me, but has anyone else experienced this?

sponsored links

1,303,133 views & 2,751 likes for this thread
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM (2)
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.