Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85mm 1.8 dust/blemish

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 29, 2012 15:48 |  #1

I got an 85mm 1.8 from Amazon in August and am just now noticing a huge dust speck/blemish inside the lens assembly. Like super huge (see pics). Is there anything I can do as far as sending to Canon/Amazon that would be covered under any warranty or cleaning or other coverage??

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8342/8231091916_39515501ce_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8482/8231092074_1c3f7b4c8a_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8489/8231092182_404e9818c8_c.jpg

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 29, 2012 15:56 |  #2

Well... while that speck may seem "huge" to you... it really isnt' that big.

Send it back to Canon if you like but I doubt it would show up in the majority of your shots. After all my guess is you didn't buy the 85mm 1.8 to shoot at f-22.

John

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 29, 2012 16:00 |  #3

Very good point. I will go see if I can actually find it in any pics. It was alarming when I saw it just now.

Small world, I'm in Raleigh too.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 29, 2012 20:32 as a reply to  @ nccb's post |  #4

I have one in mine, probably similar in size. It has never caused a problem (at least not one that I've ever noticed) in an image. No I have never shot it at f/22, so who knows. Shoot something like the sky or a light colored wall, if you see something at any of various apertures you use, get it cleaned (not a warranty issue - you will pay). My guess is you won't notice anything. So when there is a subject instead of "blank" area, you really will not notice. I wouldn't (and don't) worry about it. Enjoy your lens.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 29, 2012 20:47 |  #5

Mine I got a few days ago had Canon factory installed dust... Not as large, but there is a spec inside there.

My 70-200 II also has factory installed dust... And my 24-70 II... Quite common.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 29, 2012 21:00 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #6

I got mine used. But your saying I could have got genuine Canon installed dust.

Cool!

Sorry couldn't resist the sarcasm.

Again don't worry about a little dust.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

sponsored links

1,355 views & 0 likes for this thread
85mm 1.8 dust/blemish
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.