Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Use your camera to create slit camera (slit-scan or timeline) images.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2013 08:17 |  #46

Great image of the "bike".

As it stands the program allows a moving slit set the following:

boolean scanR = true;

or

boolean scanL = true;

You can control the speed of scan with:

int scanSlow = 3;

e.g. move slit 1 pixel every 3 frames.

This is a bit basic, and I guess it wouldn't be too difficult program to allow fractions of pixel movement. Is that what you need?

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

sponsored links
AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 25, 2013 14:29 |  #47

I, for one, would be interested in fractional movement, although it seems to me that image quality might go down.

Program works very well so far, on OS X. I am now motivated to build a turntable!

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

daveduca
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 27, 2013 13:59 as a reply to  @ Martin Dixon's post |  #48

This is a bit basic, and I guess it wouldn't be too difficult program to allow fractions of pixel movement. Is that what you need?

Actually, I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll let you know :)

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 28, 2013 09:59 |  #49

I am looking at the fractional movement stuff and it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 28, 2013 17:36 |  #50

How will that work? If the advance rate across the final image is faster than the frame rate, won't you have to interpolate some pixels, same as when you enlarge an image? I'm hoping you have better ideas than I do, because I do want to see this feature!

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 29, 2013 09:06 |  #51

AntonLargiader wrote in post #16248400 (external link)
How will that work? If the advance rate across the final image is faster than the frame rate, won't you have to interpolate some pixels, same as when you enlarge an image? I'm hoping you have better ideas than I do, because I do want to see this feature!

I don't quite see this - having less frames than pixels width would necessarily produce a reduced final image size.

I am working on a general rate using a stated number of frames. The colour value used would be interpolated in the direction of scan travel from the two nearest.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 30, 2013 12:04 |  #52

Release 1.03 now available on www.slitcam.com/ (external link). Zip file now contains both movie and image sequence versions. Small test data included so you can run straight away.

Both versions can now specify scan up / down / left / right 1 pixel per frame (or image) or to scan across image in a stated number of frames. This does some interpolation of adjacent pixels. I can see some interesting possibilities here, but the main limitations to high definition results are the raw data - i.e video width and speed (fps).

I look forward to seeing your results :)

jamie5urman
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 13, 2013 15:49 |  #53

Hey Martin -
For some reason unknown to me the slitcam utility has stopped working. when I hit RUN in PROCESSING, the gray java screen opens up and then it just freezes with the only text being WAIT FOR FRAME 0 : 0

Any ideas of what this is?

jamie5urman
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Nov 13, 2013 16:00 as a reply to  @ jamie5urman's post |  #54

Please ignore my post! Figured it out....user error :cry:

kasbah
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2014

Dec 14, 2014 08:31 |  #55

The last post in more than a year old, so very little chances that anybody jumps in here, including Martin.
My problem is that I don't find any parameter to make the passing objects look more or less in the same width than in real life.
Say for passerbys, all I get are very compressed ultra thin lines, the only way to have them appear in the right proportions is to slow the source movie by factor 15 down to about 6 % from the original speed. Although I do this with sophisticated interpolation (TWIXTOR) the image quality suffers a lot. Any recommendation who to rather fix this in the code?
Thanks,
kasbah

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 15, 2014 08:12 |  #56

kasbah wrote in post #17331496 (external link)
The last post in more than a year old, so very little chances that anybody jumps in here, including Martin.

Still here!

I'm a bit confused by what you are saying, If people are being squashed, then you would need to record at a faster frame rate (or slow the subject down). Most cameras don't do more than 60fps if that, though there are some capable of high frame rates and of course you can get some specialized equipment at a price.

In theory - and I did think about this at the time - you could do something optically to the slit is repeated or spread over the sensor height, and then take more than one line of slit data from each frame - but how much increase in resolution would be hard to predict without further experiment (I don't know exactly how a frame is recorded, an experiment suggests there is a raster scan, but for how long is each pixel "exposed" ? - again theoretically a camera could be taking normal shot for each frame in which case there would be no extra data to record).

Jdumas
382 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 6 years ago by Jdumas.

Jan 24, 2015 18:31 |  #57

Trying to load a video. I am having all sorts of problems because I have no idea about coding or processing. The sample video will load and run though. any help is appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://jdumas.smugmug.​com (external link)

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 25, 2015 05:04 as a reply to  @ Jdumas's post |  #58

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

If the sample movie works, then there must be a problem with reading your movie. Please check these:

1/ have you tripple checked the name in the code, which I assume you have changed to:

String  moviefilename = "DSCF1145_converted.mo​v";

is exactly the same as your move file name.

2/ is the move in the "data" folder - the SAME folder the sample movie was in.

3/ is it a genuine .mov format file

What operating system are you using?

Try another .mov - perhaps make a ver very short one from your camera (any subject!) .You can send me your .mov (or a short version of it!!) via dropbox or such if you are still having trouble.

fable69
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 16, 2015 18:14 |  #59

Hi,

I found that your script has been the best solution to a project I have long been up for. It worked great and I love the result, so thanks a lot for your help. I have this idea to create a sort of animation based on your script. I think it would work if the slit travelled from something like 1% of x or y dimension to 100% saving an image at each 'round'. This way I had an image sequence to work with. However I have zero knowledge on Processing. Is there a chance you could help me out with a modified version of your script? It would mean the world to me.

So once again my idea:

The script would run with the slit positioned at 1% of Y dimension (provided I shoot the videos in portrait orientation) saves an image (filename_001.tiff) and then proceeds to 2% and saving another image (filename_002.tiff) and so on until 100%

Thank you in advance for any sort of help and the program itself!

Have a nice day!
Gabor

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 25, 2015 14:44 as a reply to  @ fable69's post |  #60

Fable69 - Love your image, though I cant quite work out what it is :)

I can't be quite sure I understand your idea either :(.

Is your input a series of stills or a video?

Are you suggesting outputing a series of images showing first the original first input frame, then as the slit scans across you see the left side building up the final slitscan image, with the remainder of the current input frame on the right, till the last image is the complete slitscan image?

As is the program can scan the slit from one side to the other, but the output is a single image, what would the images you are talking about be of? Perhaps you could explain what you are trying to do and specify exactly what you want the program would do? Thanks!

sponsored links

62,482 views & 19 likes for this thread
Use your camera to create slit camera (slit-scan or timeline) images.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.