Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 02 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX or 5Dmk3 for birding?

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 02, 2012 10:02 |  #16

Even though the software is the same, The extra processors in the 1Dx make the AF system much faster at aquiring and holding focus on moving targets. This is what makes the 1Dx more expensive but also the best action/sports/BIF camera on the market. I have a 5Dmk3 as well and the difference is significant.
If you havent experienced what the 61 point AF system can do and think its overkill, dont bother as you wont read the manual to take advantage of it anyway. Ill just say that Canon has given us an amazing system and my hit rate for action has gone through the roof. The fps is an obvious difference too. Weather sealing is another factor. After a season of storm chasing I'm still blowing dirt out of my 5d mk3. The 1Dx is clean.
Low light high ISO is similar but definitely better on the 1Dx. Colors remain truer as ISO goes up.
Worth every penny if you've got the means.

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

sponsored links
Lnguyen1203
319 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 02, 2012 10:11 |  #17

The firmware fix pushed me over the edge. AF at F8 is no problem at least with the center point. Comparing to my 5D3, my keeper rate went way way up with the 1DX for BIF. The sharpness is fantastic and the 10fps is amazing. I could capture action shots that I usually missed before with the 5D3. If you compare 1 best image of the two, they are both excellent so the extra $ for the 1DX is hard to justify on the basis of value. For birds perching on a branch, a 5D3 is just as good as the 1DX if not better due to the higher pixel count. But for action shots and BIF, the 1DX is the camera of choice for me.

lnguyen1203, Canon 1DX, 5D3, T3i, 500L f4 II, 70-300L f4.0-5.6, 16-35L f2.8, 1.4X II, 2X III

N.V.M.
Goldmember
2,690 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 02, 2012 10:20 |  #18

"if money is no object" is pretty easy to type, isn't it? twice the price for a 1DX is something not only to think about, but not even possible for many.

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 02, 2012 11:08 |  #19

N.V.M. wrote in post #15315786 (external link)
"if money is no object" is pretty easy to type, isn't it? twice the price for a 1DX is something not only to think about, but not even possible for many.

Then it's an easy question to answer. Get a 5D mk3 and it will work just fine. Those of us with the 1Dx are just pointing out there really is a difference. We're not commenting on people's economic condition, just which camera is preferred for the OP's question.

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

Lnguyen1203
319 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 02, 2012 13:27 |  #20

On a lighter note, I can think to a couple of cases where the 5D3 is better

1. Silent mode in close range of shy birds like hummingbirds. I could put 10 shots in a hovering hummingbirds at close range with a 5D3 vs. 1 or 2 with the 1DX before the bird takes off.

2. When you shoot with a 1DX and get an out of focus shot, there is nothing to blame but the skill of the photographer behind the camera!

lnguyen1203, Canon 1DX, 5D3, T3i, 500L f4 II, 70-300L f4.0-5.6, 16-35L f2.8, 1.4X II, 2X III

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 02, 2012 14:14 |  #21

IDX for the faster frame per second burst. My wife does really well with the 5D3 though.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

CanaHolic
Goldmember
1,605 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 02, 2012 14:43 |  #22

peregrineflier wrote in post #15314798 (external link)
Another thing that I don't like about any of these cameras, is like the IDX, what, 71 AF points? I use one (center), that is 70 I have no use for

Then you have no business even considering bodies of this caliber, Do you realize how a tracking system works? and why there are 60 points and a separate processer to handle these advanced AF system functions.

You might as well own a point and shoot. This is not going to make you a better photographer buying a high end body like this, Learning how to use what technology offers will.

If your not using the surrounding and extended AF points for things like composition, metering, tracking your missing out on a boatload of the advancements these cameras offer.

Daniel Behm
My Gallery (external link)| (external link)flickr | (external link)Facebook (external link)

peregrineflier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 02, 2012 18:06 |  #23

CanaHolic wrote in post #15316663 (external link)
Then you have no business even considering bodies of this caliber, Do you realize how a tracking system works? and why there are 60 points and a separate processer to handle these advanced AF system functions.

You might as well own a point and shoot. This is not going to make you a better photographer buying a high end body like this, Learning how to use what technology offers will.

If your not using the surrounding and extended AF points for things like composition, metering, tracking your missing out on a boatload of the advancements these cameras offer.

Ah, I use a 1D mk3 right now. I took that as a real insult. If you ever shot a sitting bird, you would know if you use anything other than the center point, one of the other AF points will grab focus on a branch, ot anything other than the bird you are aiming at.

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 02, 2012 18:24 |  #24

peregrineflier wrote in post #15317372 (external link)
Ah, I use a 1D mk3 right now. I took that as a real insult. If you ever shot a sitting bird, you would know if you use anything other than the center point, one of the other AF points will grab focus on a branch, ot anything other than the bird you are aiming at.

I don't understand the enjoyment one might receive in shooting a sitting bird with, say, a EOS 1DX with a mounted 500L telephoto, for example. Personally, most bird photos look all the same and lack any real energy. What stuns me are those captured in mid flight. I do grasp what Daniel is saying. Center focus bird shooting doesn't absolutely require a premium body. Glass would be a greater importance in this situation. Heck, slap a Rebel on a 800mm (hehe, as opposed to the other way around) and you'd be hard pressed to distinguish from the same sample taken with the 1-series. I don't really see how higher frames are going to better capture still subject matter as well. But hey, you're the photographer and you know your own photography style - I could be missing something significant from the bigger picture.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

peregrineflier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 02, 2012 19:33 |  #25

Pearlallica wrote in post #15317450 (external link)
I don't understand the enjoyment one might receive in shooting a sitting bird with, say, a EOS 1DX with a mounted 500L telephoto, for example. Personally, most bird photos look all the same and lack any real energy. What stuns me are those captured in mid flight. I do grasp what Daniel is saying. Center focus bird shooting doesn't absolutely require a premium body. Glass would be a greater importance in this situation. Heck, slap a Rebel on a 800mm (hehe, as opposed to the other way around) and you'd be hard pressed to distinguish from the same sample taken with the 1-series. I don't really see how higher frames are going to better capture still subject matter as well. But hey, you're the photographer and you know your own photography style - I could be missing something significant from the bigger picture.

I never seen a ruder bunch of people in a thread. So, you would just pass up pictures like these because there is no enjoyment factor???? The first shot would of been impossible with the surrounding AF's on, I would of had nice shots of the branches. Did your momma not teach you guys "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"??

IMAGE: http://peregrineflier.smugmug.com/Animals/Birds-of-Prey/i-TrBhkHx/0/L/7N7J1563s-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com …006118&k=TrBhkH​x&lb=1&s=A  (external link)
IMAGE: http://peregrineflier.smugmug.com/Animals/Osprey-5111/i-8Jc5hR4/0/L/7N7J3091s-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com …397932&k=8Jc5hR​4&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 02, 2012 19:35 |  #26

peregrineflier wrote in post #15317787 (external link)
I never seen a ruder bunch of people in a thread. Did your momma not teach you guys "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"??

bw!

--
flickr (external link)

lhoy
949 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 02, 2012 19:38 |  #27

Arthur Morris has a nice write up on his blog about 1dx. He is less than impressed with it in some ways for bird photography.

http://www.tourbigbend​.com (external link)

lhoy
949 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 02, 2012 19:40 |  #28

And that quote about not getting enjoyment from using a 500 on a sitting bird, yea, you don't own anything longer than a 200mm, who can't get a crisp shot using that? ;)

Try handholding a 500mm on a crop body and get a nice crisp shot!

http://www.tourbigbend​.com (external link)

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 02, 2012 19:47 |  #29

You snap at everybody that offers their own viewpoint all the time like that? Sensitive, man...

I offered my own viewpoint, as did Daniel. That's generally the idea behind threads. I concluded with a "but hey, maybe I'm missing something", as in, I humbly accept if I'm in the wrong here and give you the benefit of the doubt. I grew up wit National Geographic magazine and painted countless birds from the pages of their magazines. I started out painting still birds, but eventually sought out images with more action, energy, dynamic composition. I don't photograph birds now, but if I did, that would be the kind of shots I would seek out. A 1DX would give me the greatest capability in doing this.

You think my stating my opinion that using a 1DX is overkill at capturing a bird perched on a branch is the act of being rude because you didn't like my opinion? Who's being the rude one?

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 02, 2012 19:53 |  #30

lhoy wrote in post #15317824 (external link)
And that quote about not getting enjoyment from using a 500 on a sitting bird, yea, you don't own anything longer than a 200mm, who can't get a crisp shot using that? ;)

Try handholding a 500mm on a crop body and get a nice crisp shot!

wow, touchy crowd here. You birders get your panties tied up in a knot real easy. What did that have anything to do with what I said...

sponsored links

6,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX or 5Dmk3 for birding?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.