Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 03 Dec 2012 (Monday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens from Samyang/rokinon

Sweetamber
51 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 03, 2012 14:30 |  #1

Does anyone have this lens?

Samyang 35mm T1.5 AS UMC VDSLR

How good is it?
Are you pleased with it?

Filmare Nunta HD (external link) /
Terapia Yumeiho (external link)

sponsored links
soursteezle
39 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 03, 2012 23:14 |  #2

I love it, highly recommend

Canon 7D MK II -- Sigma 18-35 1.8 --Canon 17-55 2.8--Canon 50mm 1.2L-- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 04, 2012 02:07 |  #3

I have the non video version and think it is exceptional value for money. A similar conclusion was arrived at by one of the photo journals recently as well.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Sweetamber
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 05, 2012 15:52 |  #4

soursteezle wrote in post #15323360 (external link)
I love it, highly recommend

Can you show me some video shoot whit it?

Filmare Nunta HD (external link) /
Terapia Yumeiho (external link)

romanv
223 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 05, 2012 18:29 as a reply to  @ Sweetamber's post |  #5

To be honest I think apart from having a wide apeture (which is of very limited use in video) lenses are much of the same for video, in terms of being the bottle neck for picture quality with Canon cameras.

What I mean is, When the camera takes video it downsamples it from 18-20 megapixels or whatever depending on camera, down to 10** pixels across, then upsamples back up to 1920 wide for 1080p... Then, the image is compressed with the H264 to round off the edges a little more.

Any difference in sharpness that you might notice between one lense or another at 100% crop is unlikely to make any tangible difference at a workable apeture.

I've got a samyang 8mm, 35mm, and recently sold the 85mm.

I prefer to shoot with the kit lenses, why?
I've found that the option for image stabilisation is more valuable towards the end result than lense sharpness or whatever else that a prime delivers apart from excellent image wide open.

One good feature of the Samyangs though is that the front element does not move or rotate though, so much better for using a matte box or filters or whatever.

In terms of ergonomics / using a follow focus then the Samyangs are a lot better than kit lenses however.

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 06, 2012 03:12 |  #6

While I agree with some of your conclusions, in part, lens quality still plays a significant part in final image quality. If you throw rubbish at the sensor, no matter how much the system messes with it subsequently, you will still have rubbish. Also consider the sensor cells aren't flat on the surface, they are slightly recessed. If a lens throws light at the sensor at an extreme acute angle the light may not hit the cell cleanly. Or if a lens has chromatic aberration subsequent messing with the digital data isn't going to remove coloured ghosts and the like.

Lastly, if you have to shoot in low light, fast glass out weighs high ISO every time. And if you want a narrow DOF a big hole is always your friend, but different lenses will produce different boken which is also related to lens quality.

In conclusion, while you could shoot video through a jam jar you are likely to get better results with an L Series lens. If you can't afford an L Series a Samyang is a damn good substitute for very little money.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

romanv
223 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 06, 2012 06:17 as a reply to  @ John Sims's post |  #7

I agree, but when you're not in low light the lack of image stabilisation can be harder to 'fix' than nicer contrast etc... The kit 55-250mm is hardly a jam jar.

In my experience with filming things you need to take the depth of field you'd intuitively choose for a photo, and double it to account for the fact that things move around, even if using follow focus. So having wide apeture is of limited usefulness.

Low light stuff, I agree you cant go past nice wide apeture. :cool:

A good trick for this (on a 600D at least)
Would be using the Samyang 35mm with the 3x digital zoom/crop at F1.4, so you now have a 105mm equivilent with much larger depth of field than a 105mm lense at F1.4 would have... So you can place the subjects much further away which increases the depth of field. As well as that you're using the best part of the lense, right in the centre.

Just for the record I'd never at any stage dissuade anyone from getting either the 8mm, 35mm, or 85m Samyang lenses they are freaken brilliant, well worth the money!

Just saying that if using the camera on anything other than a tripod though I'd go with something that has image stabilisation, and the kit lenses seem to do this reasonably well without looking 'jam jar' :)

They lenses certainly arent the bottle neck to my filming skills anyway :)

sponsored links

1,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens from Samyang/rokinon
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.