Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Dec 2012 (Friday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time for new studio lights. Retiring the Speedotrons

CxThree
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 07, 2012 21:28 |  #1

Hi,

I currently use a 3 head set of Speedotron Black line 1250 lights. I'm going to keep them for my backup set and for the studio I will eventually build at my home (Think additional 2 story 2 car garage).

I have loved the speedotrons but I am doing more and more location work. I use speedlights quite a bit, but I do want a good set of studio lights that can be a portable set as well as a main set when I get my studio done. The Speedos are just a bit more than I want to carry around all the time.

If you were in this situation, what would you consider. I see a lot here about the Elinchrom and the Einsteins. I'm beginning to look into both of those to learn what they offer and what models they have that will fit my needs. Are there others you suggest?

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 07, 2012 22:55 |  #2

I have 4 E640s and a collection of soft boxes and PLMs. I use them for portraits, photographing art, doing model shoots etc. They live in the trunk of my car. I also have a lot of speedlites with a colleciton of modifiers. They also live in my car.

The man with the speakers was shot with a single speedlite to light the man and highlight the speakers.

The headshot was 4 Einsteins in a studio.

Whatever works.

BTW, I used Speedotron in the late 60's. They are real workhorses, but really heavy when they have to be carted to the middle of a factory to shoot the CEO of a paper company. :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,607 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 08, 2012 12:24 |  #3

If you are in the USA, consider Dynalite...very light weight and compact yet powerful packs (compared to the Speedotron bricks). All the advantages of separate, lightweight heads (vs. monolights). Dynalite has long been used by pros for location lighting due to their portability and reliability. And many rental shops carried Dynalite gear, so that one could easily expand one's outfit on a temporary basis.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,776 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 08, 2012 20:00 |  #4

dmward wrote in post #15340256 (external link)
I have 4 E640s and a collection of soft boxes and PLMs. I use them for portraits, photographing art, doing model shoots etc. They live in the trunk of my car. I also have a lot of speedlites with a colleciton of modifiers. They also live in my car.

Would you mind telling us where you park your car?

CxThree
THREAD ­ STARTER
713 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 08, 2012 21:57 |  #5

@dmward Awesome pics. Thanks for the info. I hear you on the weight of the speedos. I find I'm leaving them behind and using the 600EX-RT flashes more and more.

@Wilt Thanks. I will look into those too.

Canon EOS 5D MKIII, 7D
Canon Lenses : 70-200 F2.8L II IS : 24-105 F4L IS : 16-35 F2.8L : 50mm F1.4 : 85mm F1.8 : 100mm F2.8 Macro : 10-22mm
4x 600EX-RT
Speedotron Black Line

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 08, 2012 22:12 |  #6

tetrode wrote in post #15343185 (external link)

WIN. :lol::lol:

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 08, 2012 22:13 |  #7

tetrode wrote in post #15343185 (external link)

Under the lights in the parking lot with the BA set and both car and camera insurance premiums paid. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 08, 2012 22:28 |  #8

CxThree wrote in post #15343451 (external link)
@dmward Awesome pics. Thanks for the info. I hear you on the weight of the speedos. I find I'm leaving them behind and using the 600EX-RT flashes more and more.

Thanks,
The shot of the guy with the speakers was a single 600EX-RT and an STE3 on the camera. The 600 was just the speedlite, no modifier. Camera on a tripod with ambient exposure at or just minus EC. Flash was probably O FEC.

This was shot with window light and one speedlite bounced into the corner for fill.
It would take some effort to get that kind of lighting out of monolights in a studio. It can be done but it takes experience and the right grip equipment.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time for new studio lights. Retiring the Speedotrons
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.