Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 04:28
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Price Projections of New Canon 7D mkII"
<$1500
5.8%
$1500
4.4%
$1600
4.7%
$1700
6.9%
$1800
15.3%
$1900
10.4%
$2000
19.2%
$2100
7%
$2200
8.4%
$2300
4.2%
$2400
2.6%
$2500
2.6%
>$2500
8.4%

569 voters, 569 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?

this thread is locked
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 08, 2012 04:28 |  #1

So, it looks like the new 7D mkII will be released/announced around Feb next year and since this is the top APS-C body Canon makes, there's a lot of speculation as to the direction it will take in its second re-incarnation.

The first 7D is famously an "engineer's plaything" where Canon engineers were given carte blanche to create the best APS-C machine they could given a certain budget/technology and they did. The body has been (and still is) a runaway success.

It is our hope that the second version will build on this tradition and offer the top of the line APS-C body that will be targeted towards shooting action and birders.

I created a poll for you to say what the price will be and discuss the specs you think will be on the new body.

Here are mine:
$1,700
24MP
2 stop high ISO improvement
Better DR
10fps
20-30 AF points with improved sensitivity (-2EV center would be nice)
GPS + Wifi. Let's not have the 6D have all the fun.
Dual Card Slots: 1 CF + 1 SD
Same body with similarly great ergonomics (i.e. 5DIII style) - Note: top plate is PLASTIC Mr. Rtpvid ;)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 08, 2012 06:14 |  #2

TBH I'd be happy if everything stayed the same but it got a sensor that was better in low light. Of course, if they managed to fit even better AF in there while not affecting the price too much, that would be nice too. And hopefully I'll be able to hold off the 5DIII until I see the official announcement for the 7DII.

I'm guessing $2100 though.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 08, 2012 07:49 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #3

What i think its gonna be and what i wish it to be are 2 different stories.If its gonna be a 24mp sensor that shoots at 10fps then i think its safe to assume that its also gonna have dual digic 5 processors. That alone is impressive and we all know the AF will be improved further as well. But the one thing that bugs me so much is that those exmor sensors are just so much better. The 7Dii will probably have a max ISO of 12800 or even 25600 but it means very little when up against an exmor. I just wish that canon swallow some of their pride on this one and go Exmor with the sensor. That combination would create a legendary camera.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 08, 2012 07:51 |  #4

I would guess $2300 and it would drop to around $2000 after a year.
This has been a rumor for years tho so I won't believe it until Canon (if ever) makes an announcement.

To be honest, I would be happy if it stayed the same too. I don't think an APS-C body needs a high MP count, its not FF and Canon wouldn't want that to take away from its FF line of cameras (to those who think "Ooh look, it has more MP's and is cheaper.." - doens't necessarily mean better IQ). I'd be fine with another 18mp sensor, but a revamped one would be nice. More AF Points for sure, since now it is being bested by its FF brethren. It doesn't need as many, since again thats one of the main selling points of the 5D3 and 1DX. 30 - 40 AF points would be fine.

The biggest thing for me that would be a lot of fun was if they gave the 7DII the same burst rate 12/14fps that the 1DX has. I mean hey, they gave the 5D3 the 1DX's AF system, why can't they give the 7D2 the 1DX's awesome burst rate :lol: That's the camera I'd like to see :)

It would be tricky if they did that though. At the cost of the 5D3 and the 7D2 (guestimated) pricetags, people could choose to buy both rather than ONE 1DX. But for roughly the same amount of money total. I don't think Canon would lose money from this, different tools for different people. The 7D still compliments the 5D3 in regards to it having crop-reach and slightly faster burst rate, but a 7D2 would be the perfect partner - if it even exists :)

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 08, 2012 08:12 |  #5

20MP
10 fps
2 stop noise improvement for jpegs, 0.7 stop improvement for raw.
WiFi and GPS
£2200 RRP.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 08, 2012 08:15 |  #6

stay at 18MP, but cleaner images (comparable to 5D MarkII or better)
10 fps -- but wouldnt be surprised if it stayed at 8fps
5D Mark III based AF but less AF points
under $1800 MSRP

thats my story and im sticking to it! :p

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2012 08:29 |  #7

The only information anyone has are the rumors on canonwatch and canonrumors, and none of us know whether there is any substance to them. (Remember all the rumors before the 6D was announced that the 7DII would be a new entry level FF?) However, I am with Sirrith. If they improve the noise characteristics (for raw, not jpeg--I never shoot jpeg), I'll be happy. If they do that, improve the AF, and deal with the aggressive anti-alias filter, I'll probably buy one. All the rumors suggest an increase in pixel density, which IMHO would be a shame. 18 is ample, and greater density will make diffraction limiting more severe and make it harder to avoid softening from the anti-aliasing.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 08, 2012 08:33 as a reply to  @ -MasterChief-'s post |  #8

All the above mentioned improvements and the return of Eye Controlled AF point selection, all for about $2500.

Mark

Canon11385
131 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 08, 2012 08:37 |  #9

If its the 7D MkII or another name, I think I'm going to wait to see what it is before I commit to buying. I would like to upgrade from my T2i just want a bigger jump in photo quality, and i'm not going FF cause I don't want to get rid of any of my lenses.

Im better behind the lens then in front of it.

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2012 08:40 |  #10

My guess is Canon takes the 7DII way up market making it a more specialized body just like the 1DX:

• priced around ~$2500
  • 20-22MP sensor
  • 1-stop high ISO improvement raw, 2-stop jpeg (assuming an all new sensor fab)
  • 10fps
  • 45 pt af
  • improved weather sealing
  • WiFi
  • GPS
  • integrated vertical portrait grip

The ultimate APS-C for all things that move :D

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 08, 2012 08:44 |  #11

Canon11385 wrote in post #15341184 (external link)
If its the 7D MkII or another name, I think I'm going to wait to see what it is before I commit to buying. I would like to upgrade from my T2i just want a bigger jump in photo quality, and i'm not going FF cause I don't want to get rid of any of my lenses.

If you want a bigger jump in photo quality, you might want to update your lenses first. It might totally renew your love for your T2i if you do :)

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

Canon11385
131 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 08, 2012 08:49 |  #12

Christina.DazzleByDesi​gn wrote in post #15341197 (external link)
If you want a bigger jump in photo quality, you might want to update your lenses first. It might totally renew your love for your T2i if you do :)

working on that aspect looking to get the 60mm macro usm which I already tried out and absolutely love. after that will be the 15-85 to replace my kit lens. and looking into one of the 70-200 to replace my zoom lens

Im better behind the lens then in front of it.

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2012 09:02 |  #13

Canon11385 wrote in post #15341212 (external link)
working on that aspect looking to get the 60mm macro usm which I already tried out and absolutely love. after that will be the 15-85 to replace my kit lens. and looking into one of the 70-200 to replace my zoom lens

Not to hijack the thread, but I agree that lenses will make more difference in image quality than a new body, and those are all good choices. I have them all. The 60mm macro is superb and a very good deal. However, it is on the short side for bugs. I've used mine for bugs, but if bugs are what you want rather than flowers or other things that don't fly away, a 100mm might be better. The 15-85 is heavy and slow, but it is a very good outdoors walk-around lens on a crop. It's my current lens for that purpose. And of course the 70-200s are legendary. My only suggestion is that the stampede to buy the 2.8 mkII does not serve everybody well. If you don't need the extra stop, you can save about half the weight and cost by getting the f/4 IS, which is a fabulous lens. That was my decision, because I haul mine around hiking, and I have been pleased with the decision. If you really do need the extra stop, a new Tamron was just released that appears to be very good, from initial reviews, and costs about the same as the Canon f/4.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 08, 2012 13:50 |  #14

My predictions:

• At least $2k, probably closer to $2200.
  • 10 FPS
  • Half a stop improvement in real raw noise performance over the 7D in the frame (measured by sizing the larger image to match the smaller image's resolution)
  • Improvements in, but not elimination of, deep shadow pattern noise at low ISOs
  • Improved autofocus reliability and speed, and probably low light sensitivity as well, while retaining the same or similar point layout as the 7D
  • Built-in GPS and WiFi

On high ISO performance, there's no way Canon will release a crop camera that can compete with their full frame cameras at high ISO. The 7D's successor will be at least a stop behind the 5D3 in those terms.

It's unclear to me whether Canon will increase the resolution further. It's possible, but the 7D2 will be an action/sports camera first and foremost, and that will reduce the need for additional resolution (it's notable that the 1DX is 18 megapixels, and I could easily see the 7D2 remaining at 18 megapixels as well).

The bottom line is that I don't think what we'll see in the 7D2 will be a major improvement over what the 7D already has. I'd love to be wrong about that (however, even if it is, the 7D meets my needs so well that I don't see myself upgrading), but I just don't see how Canon can make a 7D2 so much more compelling than the 7D without making it highly competitive with the 5D3 or the 1DX.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

h14nha
Goldmember
2,029 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 08, 2012 15:19 |  #15

When the 7d was released it set the bar for crop cameras. Who knows, will they now release it as a wildcard FF with the rumoured 40+ MP's............

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / :D Fuji X Pro1 / XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

sponsored links

87,294 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.