Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 04:28
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Price Projections of New Canon 7D mkII"
<$1500
5.8%
$1500
4.4%
$1600
4.7%
$1700
6.9%
$1800
15.3%
$1900
10.4%
$2000
19.2%
$2100
7%
$2200
8.4%
$2300
4.2%
$2400
2.6%
$2500
2.6%
>$2500
8.4%

569 voters, 569 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?

this thread is locked
NemethR
866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 03, 2013 10:52 |  #166

Well, according to Canonrumors, it has been delayed:
http://www.canonrumors​.com …s%29&utm_conten​t=FaceBook (external link)

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

sponsored links
Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 03, 2013 11:40 |  #167

NemethR wrote in post #16177835 (external link)

I thought it was 2014 all along.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,065 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 03, 2013 11:56 |  #168

Same sensor as the 70D

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2013 12:52 |  #169

DBNissan wrote in post #16178005 (external link)
Same sensor as the 70D

And no wifi

Which is great news; as CR accuracy is so good that we'll almost certainly see a different sensor and wifi.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Geordie ­ Amanda
367 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 03, 2013 18:47 |  #170

I was so disappointed to here this sensor news. I had big hopes for a decent improvement in noise at high ISOs to come with the nkII (using special Canon pixidust on their sensors, or some such..), but now I think I might just go for the 6D and skip a generation of 7D (at least if the rumour turns out to be true :( )

Call me Amanda please :)

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Gallery: 919 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 03, 2013 20:59 |  #171

NemethR wrote in post #16177835 (external link)

:cry: Looks like one more season of sports making do with my old 40D. I have the money put aside so this is disappointing.

Must be patient,
Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

h14nha
Goldmember
2,047 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 04, 2013 04:47 |  #172

hollis_f wrote in post #16133993 (external link)
Why?

People are buying the current 7D. If the MKII has no real innovations - 20MP, 70D LiveView AF, slightly improved AF, 10 fps - it will still sell just as well as the MkI, but for a higher price.

Why, well the 70D has just closed the gap from 60D to 7D so, Canon have to make the 7D appeal to a new market. It has to appeal to people who want a 'prosumer camera' ( sorry I hate that term but cant think what I want to call it) and people who want to upgrade from the original 7D to the Mk2.
Unless there is a considerable reason for me to upgrade I won't. I don't understand this minimum improvements just because they can get away with it mentality.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

Geordie ­ Amanda
367 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 04, 2013 08:37 |  #173

I remember moving from a 350D to a 40D, good build quality, some pro features and an improvement in IQ. Then I got the 7D and again a new world opened up for me, especially with fast moving subjects, with once again improved IQ. Perhaps I am expecting too much by not moving up again (full frame) and wanting to stay with the 7D, but I kept reading hype about the MKII 7D moving the game on........sigh

What I don't want is improved Video, or better liveview AF for videoing. If I wanted a video camera I would buy one. I just want a better crop-sensor DSLR. Hopefully Canon Rumours will be wide of the mark and the 7D will have improved IQ (especially low light) and keep all the current good stuff, improving some features too if possible, such as frame rate and adding remote wifi operation.

Please Canon, can we have better DSLR features and don't put the engine from your Honda into your Porsche

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 04, 2013 09:35 |  #174

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16179878 (external link)
...Please Canon, can we have better DSLR features and don't put the engine from your Honda into your Porsche

Canon will do what they project will get them the most profits. The 70D announcement shows they believe there is money to be made with improving video AF performance in DSLRs.

Whether they are correct or not, the AF performance during video is the MAJOR (and I do mean MAJOR) deficiency for amateur use of the DSLR for shooting video. So, they did go after the right thing as far as video performance goes.

Since the 7D was followed by the Rebel T2i Canon has not differentiated their top APS-C cameras based on the sensor.

Tom

Geordie ­ Amanda
367 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 04, 2013 09:48 |  #175

I have worked for 30 years in television broadcasting (sound engineer) and perhaps it has made me biased. The DSLR certainly appears frequently on Outside Broadcasts as a video tool, but apart from adding a bit of 'colour and artistry' to the proceedings, I just see people running around with a truck load of virtually bespoke equipment trying to do what a proper video camera does already (actually a lot less than a true TV camera). yes it can be arty and there are some great lenses, but they are so compromised in almost every other way.

I suspect it is a fad and eventually technology and convenience will slowly move video away from being a major selling point in DSLRs and move it back to 'proper' video cameras, albeit at a reduced cost. Similar in the way people now use mobile (cell) phones to take pictures and videos, the market wants convenience first. Perhaps the DSLR is untimely doomed :(

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 04, 2013 12:22 |  #176

h14nha wrote in post #16179606 (external link)
Why, well the 70D has just closed the gap from 60D to 7D so, Canon have to make the 7D appeal to a new market. It has to appeal to people who want a 'prosumer camera' ( sorry I hate that term but cant think what I want to call it) and people who want to upgrade from the original 7D to the Mk2.
Unless there is a considerable reason for me to upgrade I won't. I don't understand this minimum improvements just because they can get away with it mentality.

But does it "need to be a game changer"?

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 04, 2013 12:25 |  #177

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16180017 (external link)
Perhaps the DSLR is untimely doomed :(

Not as long as it provides a fairly cheap way of getting high-quality still images.

What will die is the P&S - killed by the cameras in people's phones that are now good enough for the Facebook posting majority.

Geordie ­ Amanda
367 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 04, 2013 13:01 |  #178

hollis_f wrote in post #16180369 (external link)
Not as long as it provides a fairly cheap way of getting high-quality still images.

What will die is the P&S - killed by the cameras in people's phones that are now good enough for the Facebook posting majority.

I agree with your second point, but what worries me with DSLRs is, if people enjoy the freedom of smaller and ever improving portable cameras (mainly phones) and no longer look at their pictures in a printed form or via slideshows on a quality monitor, then the advantages of a decent camera becomes less relevant to them. So instead of the recent craze which saw millions rushing out to buy the new affordable DSLRs that came along at the beginning of the last decade, they will put their money into alternative forms of picture taking. This will reduce the amount the big names spend in research into the DSLR :( Perhaps one saving grace will be the connected TV which makes it so much easier to view images form phones, computers etc. This might encourage people to stick with decent cameras and not just phones etc?

I remember chatting to a pro snapper at a Football match one night several yeas ago and asking why so many of his colleagues were swapping to Nikons from their Canons (it was around the time of the last 1D and the sports snappers were having problems with the first batch of them) He said Canon's reply was "you're not our core business!!"

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 04, 2013 14:25 |  #179

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16180432 (external link)
... Perhaps one saving grace will be the connected TV which makes it so much easier to view images form phones, computers etc. This might encourage people to stick with decent cameras and not just phones etc?...

Maybe. But 1080p HD TV (while large screen) is only ~2 MP.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if people would think the "wide-screen" phone pictures look better on their wide-screen TV's than the 3:2 APS-C or FF photos.

And, BTW, if you reduce the viewable area of that HD TV to the 3:2 aspect ratio, you aren't even using all of the 2 MP available in 1080p HD.

Tom

Geordie ­ Amanda
367 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 04, 2013 15:46 |  #180

RTPVid wrote in post #16180602 (external link)
Maybe. But 1080p HD TV (while large screen) is only ~2 MP.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if people would think the "wide-screen" phone pictures look better on their wide-screen TV's than the 3:2 APS-C or FF photos.

And, BTW, if you reduce the viewable area of that HD TV to the 3:2 aspect ratio, you aren't even using all of the 2 MP available in 1080p HD.

My aging father went from film to DSLR, but now finds a small compact more than adequate. he can plug the SD card in the telly and look at his pictures easily. That's what matters to him most I think. He doesn't care about the missing or interpolated pixels. Like most casual snappers he thinks he has lots of pixels and it makes him happy

Anyhoo, this is a bit off topic.......sorry :(

sponsored links

88,401 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.