Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 04:28
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Price Projections of New Canon 7D mkII"
<$1500
5.8%
$1500
4.4%
$1600
4.7%
$1700
6.9%
$1800
15.3%
$1900
10.4%
$2000
19.2%
$2100
7%
$2200
8.4%
$2300
4.2%
$2400
2.6%
$2500
2.6%
>$2500
8.4%

569 voters, 569 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?

this thread is locked
Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 12, 2013 00:28 |  #226

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #16190996 (external link)
But and it is a big but (no jokes please :D) I have never seen anyone shooting video with a 7D/xxD/xxxD. I realise some must, it just I never see them.

I would say thatthis guy (external link) handles shooting with a 5d3 (and his older videos with a 5d2), pretty well...

--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Geordie ­ Amanda
341 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 12, 2013 16:09 |  #227

BirdBoy wrote in post #16200188 (external link)
I would say thatthis guy (external link) handles shooting with a 5d3 (and his older videos with a 5d2), pretty well...

The cameras in my quote that you use, refer to the crop sensor cameras

I don't doubt people can and do , shoot video for personal consumption with DSLRS, but as I know several dozen people with DSLRs and not one of them shoots video for pleasure with them, I still say I don't know who all this video malarchy is aimed at, especially in the Crop frame segment.

Funnily enough a very good friend of mine emailed me a couple of days ago and mentioned he was looking to buy a 7D for video shooting!! But as it turns out it will be mainly for his work as Video Editor in TV. I suspect he will use it for pleasure as well, especially if he spends lots of money on the necessary kit

Call me Amanda please :)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 13, 2013 04:17 |  #228
bannedPermanent ban

Oh I'm really slacking here, didn't even knew that the first version existed until I just googled it

At least the 7D has better functions than the 5D mkii

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 14, 2013 15:49 |  #229

It is my hunch that since
6D and 70D have the same pixel count
so will the
7DII and 5DIII...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 18, 2013 14:37 |  #230

http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …ve-a-24mp-or-20mp-sensor/ (external link)

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

rjharris
975 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 18, 2013 15:01 |  #231

If they have the same sensor as the 70D it shouldn't be priced all that much more I would think. The 70D specs as good as or better in almost every category than the original 7D with 19 points and 8 fps in the 7D and 19 points and 7 fps in the 70D. (I know there's other specs as well). The 5DIII or 1Dx focus system would be difficult I think with the smaller sensor. I don't think it could really go any higher than the original 7D price if they actually want to sell them (if they ever come out with one mind you).

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 18, 2013 20:05 |  #232

rjharris wrote in post #16218928 (external link)
If they have the same sensor as the 70D it shouldn't be priced all that much more I would think. The 70D specs as good as or better in almost every category than the original 7D with 19 points and 8 fps in the 7D and 19 points and 7 fps in the 70D. (I know there's other specs as well). The 5DIII or 1Dx focus system would be difficult I think with the smaller sensor. I don't think it could really go any higher than the original 7D price if they actually want to sell them (if they ever come out with one mind you).

I agree with you for the most part. However, once you add professional level AF and 10 fps, they have all the more reason to increase the price over the original 7d. Just look at the 5d2 vs 5d3, large increase. Currently, the 70d is priced at $1,200; the 7d at $1,500. That is only a $300 difference. If they were to introduce a 7d2 with the logic of "go any higher than the original 7D price if they actually want to sell them", they wouldn't be selling any 70d's because the price margin for a superior camera is too low.

I have said it before on this thread, but I will say it again. This camera is not going to be released for anything less than $2,000 US.

--
flickr (external link)

rjharris
975 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 18, 2013 23:18 |  #233

BirdBoy wrote in post #16219691 (external link)
I have said it before on this thread, but I will say it again. This camera is not going to be released for anything less than $2,000 US.

I'm just saying that if they want to sell it for $2,000.00 they almost need to get a different sensor though. It's my understanding that you can't or shouldn't put as many focus points on a crop frame sensor because the low light focusing gets worse. If that's the case I don't see them going much more than 19 that they are and I think the focus on the 7D is fine how it is. Now put a APS H sensor and your talking a different ball game but I don't foresee that happening either. The original 7D was right at $1,700.00 (I bought one when they first came out) and this 70D specs almost as good as or maybe even slightly better than my 7D for quite a bit less than $1,700.00.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,630 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 19, 2013 00:25 |  #234

rjharris wrote in post #16220117 (external link)
I'm just saying that if they want to sell it for $2,000.00 they almost need to get a different sensor though. It's my understanding that you can't or shouldn't put as many focus points on a crop frame sensor because the low light focusing gets worse. If that's the case I don't see them going much more than 19 that they are and I think the focus on the 7D is fine how it is. Now put a APS H sensor and your talking a different ball game but I don't foresee that happening either. The original 7D was right at $1,700.00 (I bought one when they first came out) and this 70D specs almost as good as or maybe even slightly better than my 7D for quite a bit less than $1,700.00.

Why would the low-light focus get worse on a crop?

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2013 02:17 |  #235

I'm just saying that if they want to sell it for $2,000.00 they almost need to get a different sensor though. If that's the case I don't see them going much more than 19 that they are and I think the focus on the 7D is fine how it is. The original 7D was right at $1,700.00 (I bought one when they first came out) and this 70D specs almost as good as or maybe even slightly better than my 7D for quite a bit less than $1,700.00.

For an example, look at the huge difference between cameras in the same line; the 5d2 vs 5d3. Based off of the MSRP at the time of their releases, there was an $800 difference. And that is with a camera that had a shorter lifespan than the 7d! Taking the 7d's longer lifespan than the average camera into account, in theory, there should be more new technology that is implemented in the 7d2 than the 5d3 (within model lineups). New technology costs money. If the 7d2 was to sell for under $2,000 then there would only be a $300 difference between the MSRPs. Which doesn't correlate with all of the other price hikes we have seen from model to model in the XD lineups.

It's my understanding that you can't or shouldn't put as many focus points on a crop frame sensor because the low light focusing gets worse.

I think you are misunderstanding the low light capabilities when comparing a full frame camera to a crop sensor camera. Light gathering capabilities has to do with the size and pixel pitch of the sensor. Traditionally, a full frame camera has been better at gathering photons in low light situations because it has larger pixels than a crop sensor camera (think bowl vs a cup when raining). Full frame sensors also have better quality in low light because the light isn't being split up as much as a crop sensor because there is more area for the photons to be gathered. Rather than light waves hitting the smaller pixels of a crop sensor and being split up (which degrades quality, somewhat like copying a copy).

Auto focus on the other hand, does not depend on the amount of light a sensor can gather, but the brightness of the light that the lens can gather. The brighter the light a lens and the AF sensors can read, the more information and contrast the AF sensor (different from the main camera sensor) and software has to go off of. This translates to more accurate auto focus in low light situations. AF sensitivity doesn't care whether a camera is a crop sensor or a full frame because it has already gathered and fed its information back to the AF motors in the lens before the image is recorded on the image sensor. TLDR, low light quality relates to the amount of light available, AF accuracy relates to the brightness (therefore contrast) of the light. AF accuracy is greatly dependent on the software reading the information. And AF sensitivity is unrelated to the format of the camera.

There are other factors that drive AF performance. Speed is very closely correlated with the batteries you are using. A 1Dx has an extremely powerful battery that will drive a lens' AF motor faster than a 5d III, even when the 5d III has a battery grip. Another factor that limits AF performance is the tiered camera system by Canon. They aren't going to want a 7d2 camera that can out perform their flagship 1Dx in low light, so they are going to limit what the AF sensors can achieve.

Hope this helps,

--
flickr (external link)

rjharris
975 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 19, 2013 05:43 |  #236

Thanks for the information on the focusing BirdBoy. I misunderstood how that worked. Although I'm still sticking to my ground that if you're going to ask 800 more for the new 7D as compared to the 70D it has to have something different more advanced than the 70D to make it worth the extra dollars. Maybe they can make a new or better AF system in a cropped sensor, I don't know I do know that the 7D's strong point was entry level sports/action photography of which the 70D should be able to closely match for $1,200.00.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 19, 2013 05:51 |  #237

rjharris wrote in post #16220550 (external link)
I do know that the 7D's strong point was entry level sports/action photography of which the 70D should be able to closely match for $1,200.00.

Why should it?

No reviews so far have said that the 70D AF is as good as the 7D. And the 70D lacks two of the more useful AF modes of the 7D.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 19, 2013 07:25 |  #238

I'd love to see a removable AA filter, with different strength options for video and stills (or no AA filter at all for the truly anal pixel peepers). Probably the easiest way for Canon to improve IQ, and make money by charging people for the "Canon Video filter".

Z...

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 19, 2013 08:57 |  #239

EtherealZee wrote in post #16220743 (external link)
I'd love to see a removable AA filter, with different strength options for video and stills (or no AA filter at all for the truly anal pixel peepers).

Except that Canon support would be inundated with calls from people who had read on the interwebs that having no AA filter gave the best images - then wondering why they got moiré patterns in half their pics.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 19, 2013 22:00 |  #240

hollis_f wrote in post #16220970 (external link)
Except that Canon support would be inundated with calls from people who had read on the interwebs that having no AA filter gave the best images - then wondering why they got moiré patterns in half their pics.

And there is the genius in my madness...

"We can fix that with the still filter, Sir. Would you like a weak, medium or full strength AA filter? Actually, I suggest you take all 3, that way you can pick and choose per application. Will Sir be paying with Amex, Visa or Mastercard?"

See? Genius...

Z...

sponsored links

87,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.