Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 08 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 04:28
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Price Projections of New Canon 7D mkII"
<$1500
5.8%
$1500
4.4%
$1600
4.7%
$1700
6.9%
$1800
15.3%
$1900
10.4%
$2000
19.2%
$2100
7%
$2200
8.4%
$2300
4.2%
$2400
2.6%
$2500
2.6%
>$2500
8.4%

569 voters, 569 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?

this thread is locked
Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2013 23:53 |  #241

I personally could care less what Canon does with the 7d2's AA filter. I want to see a crop camera that can actually handle noise.

--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 20, 2013 00:43 |  #242

EtherealZee wrote in post #16223036 (external link)
And there is the genius in my madness...

"We can fix that with the still filter, Sir. Would you like a weak, medium or full strength AA filter? Actually, I suggest you take all 3, that way you can pick and choose per application. Will Sir be paying with Amex, Visa or Mastercard?"

Yup, genius. I really can see the marketing droids going for this.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 20, 2013 13:30 |  #243

hollis_f wrote in post #16223321 (external link)
Yup, genius. I really can see the marketing droids going for this.

It's actually a pretty good idea from the photographer's perspective as well. Having several AA filters to choose from is better (and much less expensive) than having to buy another whole camera model (e.g. D800, D800e).

Tom

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 25, 2013 07:14 |  #244

What if Canon changes technologies altogether and they introduce the 7DII with a Foveon type sensor?
Say about 20MP (same as 70D) but with triple the amount of color information...
This way the entire sensor would benefit from the entire light spectrum hitting it rather than 50% G, 25% R and 25% B.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 25, 2013 19:21 as a reply to  @ post 15342369 |  #245

Man I hope its less than $1500 when it is released if its higher than that it would be in the full fame arena for a crop sensor camera.

rjharris
975 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 25, 2013 19:26 |  #246

photography By Evangelos wrote in post #16239458 (external link)
Man I hope its less than $1500 when it is released if its higher than that it would be in the full fame arena for a crop sensor camera.

Not much chance that happening. It was $1,700 when it first came out. Good thoughts though. I'm still hoping for the new sensor technology that was supposed to have two stops better ISO noise with about 20 - 22 MP's and maybe a slightly better focus system but even then I'm happy with the way mine focuses how it is.

photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 25, 2013 19:46 |  #247

rjharris wrote in post #16239469 (external link)
Not much chance that happening. It was $1,700 when it first came out. Good thoughts though. I'm still hoping for the new sensor technology that was supposed to have two stops better ISO noise with about 20 - 22 MP's and maybe a slightly better focus system but even them I'm happy with the way mine focuses how it is.

Guess retailers have it discounted now B&H sells it for $1499 and may others have it for $1300, wishful thinking I guess for an under $1500 dollar price tag...

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2013 19:55 |  #248

andrikos wrote in post #16237898 (external link)
What if Canon changes technologies altogether and they introduce the 7DII with a Foveon type sensor?
This way the entire sensor would benefit from the entire light spectrum hitting it rather than 50% G, 25% R and 25% B.

I like your thinking young man.

Still love my 7D, but I'm looking with interest to see what comes out next. I'll either get the new 7d, sell my to a friend or keep mine then get a 5d and new glass.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,360 posts
Gallery: 433 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Aug 27, 2013 11:47 |  #249

rjharris wrote in post #16239469 (external link)
Not much chance that happening. It was $1,700 when it first came out. Good thoughts though. I'm still hoping for the new sensor technology that was supposed to have two stops better ISO noise with about 20 - 22 MP's and maybe a slightly better focus system but even then I'm happy with the way mine focuses how it is.

ahhh...my fantasy come true....

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2013 20:49 |  #250

andrikos wrote in post #16237898 (external link)

I don't see Canon, or any camera manufacturer for that matter, introducing a new technology on anything less than their flagship camera line. Its basic trickle down marketing.

--
flickr (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,267 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 27, 2013 21:48 |  #251

BirdBoy wrote in post #16245752 (external link)
I don't see Canon, or any camera manufacturer for that matter, introducing a new technology on anything less than their flagship camera line. Its basic trickle down marketing.

Canon has done it before. 70D = totally new sensor technology. Mirrorless = EOS-M. Live view 20Da. Swivel screen = 60D

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 27, 2013 22:47 |  #252

gjl711 wrote in post #16245919 (external link)
Canon has done it before. 70D = totally new sensor technology. Mirrorless = EOS-M. Live view 20Da. Swivel screen = 60D

I was referencing sensor technology of the sensor itself, not merely the incorporation of two tasks (AF and light gathering of the 70d) into the same pixel of a Bayer sensor. A Foveon sensor is completely different from a Bayer sensor, and would be a first for Canon to step into that realm. Sigma was the first to use a Foveon sensor in a DSLR in 2002, as far as I know Canon has not touched them (and probably for a good reason). What I meant was that if Canon was to introduce a genuinely new sensor technology, that was as major as a switch from Bayer to Foveon, then it would more than likely be released in the 1d series. The eos-m was new for Canon, but a large amount of other camera companies had already been in the mirrorless industry for a couple of years.

The 70d was not totally new sensor techology in the photography world. Sony came out with their own version at the time of Canon's dual pixel AF sensor. Of course, you could argue that it isn't the same because of patent laws, but they accomplished virtually the same goal.

You can pick apart my responses for mistakes or exceptions as much as you like, but I meant my response to be for major advancements, not the addition of a flip screen (which wasn't new when the 20da was released. The Canon Powershot Pro70 [1998] was the first Canon camera to have a swivel screen).

--
flickr (external link)

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 28, 2013 10:19 |  #253

Hey BirdBoy, are you a lawyer in real life?

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,267 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2013 10:36 |  #254

BirdBoy wrote in post #16246046 (external link)
I was referencing sensor technology of the sensor itself, not merely the incorporation of two tasks (AF and light gathering of the 70d) into the same pixel of a Bayer sensor. ...

Well, then we can go back to the beginnings of Canon DSLRs. Canon's first 4 cameras were targeted towards the pro market and used a CCD sensor. Canon then introduced the D30 (not 30D) which contained a revolutionary new sensor based on CMOS technology. The D30 was marketed towards the enthusiasts. A year later Canon introduces the first true 1D series camera still containing a CCD sensor.

A year after the 1D, Canon puts out the second CMOS sensor body still targeted towards enthusiasts, the D60, and it wasn't until the 1Ds did the pro line adopt the CMOS technology.

I don't think we can assume that any new technology or feature will be first introduced in the pro bodies before others and it makes sense. New technology means lots of new investment so why would you not choose the market with the largest cash potential first to recoup as much of your investment quicker.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

andrikos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 30, 2013 10:13 |  #255

Yes, it's quite obvious if you look at the history of Canon dSLRs that not all the top models (like it's done with cars) get the newest technology.

And, as far as the 7D is concerned, it is a top flight model. It's the best APS-C sensor camera Canon made and that's still applicable 4 looooooong years later.

sponsored links

87,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D mkII. What do you think the specs and price will be?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.