Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 15:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY Triggers - Pin wiring

Trugga
648 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 09, 2012 15:01 |  #1

30-35 years ago, I was "into" electronics and my Father photography. We combined our skills (ok, his cash and my soldering iron) and came up with the following:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …bucket/canon/IM​G_4179.jpg (external link)

Sound Operated Trigger

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …cket/canon/IMG_​4181-1.jpg (external link)

IR Beam Trigger

If I recall correctly, on the sound operated trigger, a 2.5mm jack pluck was fitted to the unit, with the other end fitting to the PC socked of a flash gun.

Back then (late 70's) Dad was using a Praktica film camera - I recall him opening up the shutter and the sound of a baloon busting from a dart, would trigger the flash. The shutter was then closed.

The IR Beam comprises the two units; a transmitter and receiver, with an invisible IR beam between them. The units have a 1/4" thread in the base which allowed them to be mounted on a short steel spike, pushed into the back yard lawn. I cant recall if (again a 2.5mm jack lead) it triggered a flash gun or the camera (he might of gotten the Canon A1 by now). I fondly recall him setting the beam up to capture a fox visiting the garden - but he only managed to capture the neighbours cat :(

The transmitter has a variable potentiometer fitted and the receiver has a 3-way rotary switch.

The above were recently retrieved from my parents attic and I'd like to see if they can be put to use. I'll need to replace both battery leads and one of the battery holders.

Q's
Would the above be able to trigger the camera (a 7D) direct - which of the 3 pin connections would I use (thats assuning the trigger is a short rather than a voltage) ?

What might the 3-way rotary switch be fore on the IR receiver ?

Hopefully, my Dad will be able to find the copies of the magazines that we made the units from. In the mean time, I would appreciate some pointers on the above (as I gave up electronics for engineering a long time ago).

Regards
Lawrence

sponsored links
DavidR
Goldmember
1,542 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 09, 2012 15:59 |  #2

All of the triggers that I have used, the trigger fires the strobe while the camera's shutter is left open in a dark room. The flash duration is what freezes the movement, not the shutter.

M10 - ZM21 - ZM35

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 09, 2012 16:04 as a reply to  @ DavidR's post |  #3

Thats' what I'd of though (as I recall from the sound operated unit).

Not sure on the IR trigger though. Cant imagine the shutter was left open for any length of time with that - waiting for an animal to appear.

Lawrence

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 09, 2012 17:25 |  #4

Is this what you need? Pop that on the end of an N3 connection-equipped lead from camera and away you go.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 10, 2012 07:47 as a reply to  @ Whortleberry's post |  #5

I think that migh just do the job :D

I was looking at it the other way round - ie what are the pin-outs at the camera end?

I do have a spare N3 curly lead, and a 2.5mm stereo jack, so I think I'm nearly there.

Oh, also found this at lunch time - might be useful for otheres:

http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/remote_p​inout/ (external link)

Lawrence

DavidR
Goldmember
1,542 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 10, 2012 07:53 as a reply to  @ Trugga's post |  #6

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

M10 - ZM21 - ZM35

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 10, 2012 08:02 |  #7

This may give you some info http://www.tminusprodu​ctions.com/home/custom​triggers.html (external link), this is the device I use for remote setup for the shuttle and the the rocket launches.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

Trugga
THREAD ­ STARTER
648 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 10, 2012 14:44 as a reply to  @ gromeo's post |  #8

As Professor Farnsworth (Futurama) might say "Good news everybody"...

The sound operated trigger works :D

In my collection of recently purchased accessoris is a wireless/wired remote and the wireless Youngnu flash transiever that come with a lead - the lead is exactly what is needed to connect to the camera:

http://i243.photobucke​t.com …anon/2012-12-10200222.png (external link)

So, I put a battery in the sound trigger (the white box above) and it works. OK, so I don't have focus control, but will most likely set up manually anyway.

Just need to wait for ebay to send be a new battery holder and lead for the green boxes (was corroded beyond repair) and I can have another play.

Just need to think of some things to shoot now ;)

The other good bews is that my Dad has found the magazines with the articles (and condtruction details in them) and hopes to drop them off to me later in the week.

Thank your all for your replies above - as it happens, this project was easier than I anticipated.

Cheers
Lawrence

sponsored links

1,657 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY Triggers - Pin wiring
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.