Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 10 Dec 2012 (Monday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestions for a 5D3 video noob?

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2012 10:00 |  #1

I have a 5D3 but up to now I haven't ventured into video with this camera. Tonight (short notice, I know) my daughter's high school chamber choir will be performing at her school and I'm planning to record that performance. In addition, I'll also be able to use a Stereo VideoMic Pro this evening and will be recording to a Lexar Pro 32GB 1000x UDMA CF card.

With that background, any suggestions any of you may have will be greatly appreciated. A few specific questions I have:

1. Is there a particular picture style that you recommend for this type of event?

2. What mode would you recommend I shoot in (A+, P, Tv, Av, other)? For stills in this venue I'd normally shoot in Av but I realize that this may not be best for video.

3. I plan to use one of the 1920x1080 options. Looking at the Canon manual it would appear I should use 30 fps (North America). If I also select ALL-I, according to the manual I should be able to get about 44 minutes on a 32GB card and I expect her part of the performance to last about 30 minutes. Thoughts?

4. Do I need to adjust any sound settings on the camera to best accommodate the external mic?

5. Should I boost (or attenuate) the gain on the Stereo VideoMic Pro? Also, would this be a situation where you would normally use the high pass filter on the mic?

6. I'll be using my 70-200 2.8 IS lens (tripod mounted of course). I'm assuming that IS would be a good thing to leave engaged. However, will noise from the IS make it onto the video?

Basically, I plan to set the shooting mode, adjust the zoom, focus, and then just record the performance without fiddling with the camera. I'm sure I've overlooked some things so feel free to offer any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks for the help!

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 10, 2012 10:32 |  #2

The main thing you have overlooked is the 12minute time limit for files, so there will be a break at that point before you press the shutter to start again. Not sure if there will be seperate movements to the music, which would give you an opportunity to restart, but if more than 12 mins you have a problem. That is why for such things a seperate audio recording is normally made, the breaks in the video can be interspersed with shots of the aufience etc as fills, then the whole lot sorted in the edit process. You will struggle tonight I think but it will give you some experience.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 10, 2012 10:42 |  #3

artyman wrote in post #15348881 (external link)
The main thing you have overlooked is the 12minute time limit for files, so there will be a break at that point before you press the shutter to start again. Not sure if there will be seperate movements to the music, which would give you an opportunity to restart, but if more than 12 mins you have a problem. That is why for such things a seperate audio recording is normally made, the breaks in the video can be interspersed with shots of the aufience etc as fills, then the whole lot sorted in the edit process. You will struggle tonight I think but it will give you some experience.

12 min is not the limit on the 5D mk3. It's 29min 59 sec. All-I is not going to make a difference unless they are moving around a lot. IPB looks just as good with static or near static video. You will have to set the mic levels at the event. I always shoot video in manual so there are no surprise adjustments the camera decided to apply. Make sure if your frame rate is 30fps to use a 1/30 shutter speed. That leaves ISO and aperture to adjust lighting. DONT use 2.8 as you will not have the whole group in focus. Use at least f5.6. The reason the 5D mk3 is so good is the high ISO capability so don't be afraid to push it. I've shot great video at ISO 3200. Don't leave the IS on when a camera is tripod mounted. It will freak out and if you do move it may fight you and cause the video to stutter. This goes for ANY video camera.
Test things out before you get there and you'll do just fine.
Welcome to the dark side of DSLR's!
(I shoot video professionally and have been using DSLR's for video for 5 years. Yes a lot is involved but sounds like you have a great kit to start out with.)

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2012 13:32 |  #4

yipDog Studios wrote in post #15348923 (external link)
12 min is not the limit on the 5D mk3. It's 29min 59 sec. All-I is not going to make a difference unless they are moving around a lot. IPB looks just as good with static or near static video. You will have to set the mic levels at the event. I always shoot video in manual so there are no surprise adjustments the camera decided to apply. Make sure if your frame rate is 30fps to use a 1/30 shutter speed. That leaves ISO and aperture to adjust lighting. DONT use 2.8 as you will not have the whole group in focus. Use at least f5.6. The reason the 5D mk3 is so good is the high ISO capability so don't be afraid to push it. I've shot great video at ISO 3200. Don't leave the IS on when a camera is tripod mounted. It will freak out and if you do move it may fight you and cause the video to stutter. This goes for ANY video camera.
Test things out before you get there and you'll do just fine.
Welcome to the dark side of DSLR's!
(I shoot video professionally and have been using DSLR's for video for 5 years. Yes a lot is involved but sounds like you have a great kit to start out with.)

What is the procedure for adjusting the audio at the event? Her group will likely not start the show so I may be able to use another one of their choirs to test the audio.

So even with "tripod-aware" IS like the 70-200 f2.8 has, it is still a problem with video to leave it on?

One thing that the manual left me confused on was the relationship between frame rate and shutter speed. For example, when shooting 30 fps, the manual says you can set the shutter speed anywhere from 1/30 sec to 1/4000 sec. (And elsewhere says to use 1/30 to 1/125 sec for moving subjects but that faster speeds make the subject's movement less smooth.) When you use a shutter speed faster than 1/30 sec for 30 fps, do multiple shots get combined into one frame or does it just skip a bunch of intermediate shots?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Blane
Gear List

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 10, 2012 14:38 |  #5

1. faithful and "prolost" neutral (an adjusted neutral) are my favorites, but the choice here is entirely subjective.

2. definitely go full manual. fix your shutter speed at double your framerate for natural motion blur (30p = 1/60 shutter speed) and adjust your aperture and iso to taste. i'd suggest manually setting white balance as well. Av mode could start throwing your shutter speed around, and that's something you probably don't want.

3. ALL-I is the way to go, but if memory is a concern, IPB is not a bad compromise.

4+5. go full manual on the sound as well. you want to keep the in-camera audio gain as low as possible to minimize noise, so definitely boost the mic and adjust camera audio gain down as low as possible while still getting good levels. bring headphones to monitor as you're recording.

6. if the camera is going to be on a tripod and fixed, it won't matter if IS is on or off. if you plan on performing some slow pans and tilts, turn IS off. the reason is, the IS might fight small camera movements which can result in stuttering movements in the recorded video.

faster shutter speeds will result in less motion blur, which can be and has been used for a hyper-real effect. a slower shutter speed will result in more motion blur, and can result in 'ghosting' of moving objects. i've shot 1/30 when i needed the extra light, and i think it's fine for most shots that don't involve fast moving subjects. 1/60 is perceptually the most natural motion blur.

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 10, 2012 16:00 |  #6

BTBeilke wrote in post #15349555 (external link)
What is the procedure for adjusting the audio at the event? Her group will likely not start the show so I may be able to use another one of their choirs to test the audio.

So even with "tripod-aware" IS like the 70-200 f2.8 has, it is still a problem with video to leave it on?

One thing that the manual left me confused on was the relationship between frame rate and shutter speed. For example, when shooting 30 fps, the manual says you can set the shutter speed anywhere from 1/30 sec to 1/4000 sec. (And elsewhere says to use 1/30 to 1/125 sec for moving subjects but that faster speeds make the subject's movement less smooth.) When you use a shutter speed faster than 1/30 sec for 30 fps, do multiple shots get combined into one frame or does it just skip a bunch of intermediate shots?

Thanks for the suggestions!

See above answers. Listen to us and don't read your manual! HaHa! No...seriously! Being a concert, I'm assuming indoors and the 1/30 shutter will work best. Beyond that only use multiples of 30. Odd numbers mean the shutter will cross the frame break at certain points and cause strobing. Much like a camcorder shooting an old CRT computer screen. You would see the horizontal scan lines moving.

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

sponsored links

1,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggestions for a 5D3 video noob?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.