I have a 5D3 but up to now I haven't ventured into video with this camera. Tonight (short notice, I know) my daughter's high school chamber choir will be performing at her school and I'm planning to record that performance. In addition, I'll also be able to use a Stereo VideoMic Pro this evening and will be recording to a Lexar Pro 32GB 1000x UDMA CF card.
With that background, any suggestions any of you may have will be greatly appreciated. A few specific questions I have:
1. Is there a particular picture style that you recommend for this type of event?
2. What mode would you recommend I shoot in (A+, P, Tv, Av, other)? For stills in this venue I'd normally shoot in Av but I realize that this may not be best for video.
3. I plan to use one of the 1920x1080 options. Looking at the Canon manual it would appear I should use 30 fps (North America). If I also select ALL-I, according to the manual I should be able to get about 44 minutes on a 32GB card and I expect her part of the performance to last about 30 minutes. Thoughts?
4. Do I need to adjust any sound settings on the camera to best accommodate the external mic?
5. Should I boost (or attenuate) the gain on the Stereo VideoMic Pro? Also, would this be a situation where you would normally use the high pass filter on the mic?
6. I'll be using my 70-200 2.8 IS lens (tripod mounted of course). I'm assuming that IS would be a good thing to leave engaged. However, will noise from the IS make it onto the video?
Basically, I plan to set the shooting mode, adjust the zoom, focus, and then just record the performance without fiddling with the camera. I'm sure I've overlooked some things so feel free to offer any other suggestions you may have.
Thanks for the help!