Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Dec 2012 (Tuesday) 04:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggest a lens for my lineup (5dmkiii) for children indoors

Franz-Olof
74 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 11, 2012 04:56 |  #1

Hi,

I did get it - 5Dmkiii that is. Now I'm struggling about lens options. My absolute main subject is our 11 months old girl. Besides that I shoot almost everything: street, nature.

As you see from signature I think i have wide and tele quite well covered, but indoors is a problem. My newly traded 16-35 is quite versatile in that but sometimes 2.8 just ain't enough. Before 16-35 I was waiting for Sigmas new 35mm but now it's maybe an overkill with 16-35. So I think that Sigmas 85/1.4 would be quite spot on for my needs. But what do you think?

Thanks.

5Dmkiii ⎟16-35Lii ⎟24-70Lii ⎟50/1.8ii ⎟∑85⎟100-400L⎟Nissin Di866ii
my photo site (external link)

sponsored links
mR_CaESaR
354 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 11, 2012 05:17 |  #2

Budget?

I think both sigma 35 and 85 would be best suited for you. I'm most likely going to be buying the same combo

Buy the best Lens and never buy again!
Buy once and save
Upgrade Your Epson P-3000 to 120gb tutorial (external link)

Franz-Olof
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 11, 2012 06:26 |  #3

mR_CaESaR wrote in post #15352329 (external link)
Budget?

I think both sigma 35 and 85 would be best suited for you. I'm most likely going to be buying the same combo

Well, I don't know. What it takes;) Don't have much money generally, but I've been saving for this moment that I have the camera (and the baby) and I need the lenses. I was about to buy 85L, but been considering Sigma for the price and faster autofocus (for children on the move).

I've been also considering the new 24-70, but then i'm stuck with 2.8. Would like to have something faster and DOFfer.

I really like the 50 as s focal length but 35+85 sounds more versatile. And there really is no perfect 50mm lens available (?!??!).:cool:

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Location: Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA

Dec 11, 2012 06:56 |  #4

Indoors you say? Flash is what I would recommend!

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

Franz-Olof
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 11, 2012 07:16 |  #5

musashi wrote in post #15352494 (external link)
Indoors you say? Flash is what I would recommend!

I have. Don't use it. Should learn.

Julie ­ G.
38 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 11, 2012 07:28 |  #6

Well, there's the Canon 50L if you want a good 50mm, especially between 1.2 and 2?

The 85L is a great lens, great bokeh and really sharp wide open. On your 5D3 it's slightly faster with better AF, but it's still slow. I don't feel that the 85mm is too long or too wide for my use, I can use it for street photography and I can use it for portraits. The 35mm is good for wider street photography, environmental and group portraits and even for kids. You can see some examples with the 85L (external link) and the 35L (external link) on a flickr contact.

My choice would be the sigma 35 & 85 F1.4 or just the 85L. It all depends on what FL and what aperture you need. Both are good choices. I wouldn't go with the 24-70 II because, in my experience F2.8 just isn't wide enough indoors (EDIT: yeah, you could bump up the ISO). Still I love the shallow DoF and almost always use them at F1.2-2.

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 11, 2012 08:08 |  #7

Let me bring up something everyone misses with the 5d mk3. 2.8 lenses are absolutely fast enough for indoor shooting. You can go way into the higher ISO's and get great pics. I've shot iso 2000 and with a little noise reduction it's perfect. All you're doing with faster lenses is narrowing your DOF to the width of a hair. A buddy of mine shoots concerts. He's always around ISO 1600 to 2000 as the super teles are mostly f4...put an extender on and you're at f8!
While you're collecting advice on the lenses, try shooting some higher ISO pics and see what happens. If your post editor doesn't satisfy with its internal noise reduction, there are several very good noise reduction plugins that are not a lot of money. I use Nik D-Fine and Neat. I only have one lens that is faster than 2.8, the 50mm f1.4. The DOF is too shallow especially on a FF for most things so I end up shooting around 2.8 anyway.
Now, I'm not one to say don't buy more lenses! I have WAY too many and am always looking for more. But please don't buy just because you feel you need a faster lens. You bought the 5D mk3 and it kicks arse in low light. Buy good lenses that satisfy your focal length needs.
From what you have, I'd go for the 70-200 f2.8L. It's a staple lens that will outlast your camera.

Just my 2 cents! :)

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

canito
127 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 11, 2012 09:47 |  #8

I think you made a good choice getting the 5d3 because pretty soon you will need that AF. A good zoom like the 24-70 would be ideal once they start walking, and please use your flash, I regret not using it for a while with my kids. Once you start using it, you'll see a big improvement in your pics. Just bounce from the ceilling, and if you have the 580, lift up the white card.

One more thing, fast lenses are great to create blur, but consider also the right amount of depth of field, that will increase the amount of keepers.

I'm also a dad with a camera and I've had to learn during my babie's first years. We've had a great time. Enjoy your family and use your gear to keep a good record of it.

5DMkIII , EF 85 II L, EF 70-300 L, ZE 35/1.4, ZE 100 MP
Sony A6000 , Touit 32mm, SEL 1670Z

Franz-Olof
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 11, 2012 10:49 |  #9

Julie G. wrote in post #15352565 (external link)
Well, there's the Canon 50L if you want a good 50mm, especially between 1.2 and 2?

The 85L is a great lens, great bokeh and really sharp wide open. On your 5D3 it's slightly faster with better AF, but it's still slow. I don't feel that the 85mm is too long or too wide for my use, I can use it for street photography and I can use it for portraits. The 35mm is good for wider street photography, environmental and group portraits and even for kids. You can see some examples with the 85L (external link) and the 35L (external link) on a flickr contact.

My choice would be the sigma 35 & 85 F1.4 or just the 85L. It all depends on what FL and what aperture you need. Both are good choices. I wouldn't go with the 24-70 II because, in my experience F2.8 just isn't wide enough indoors (EDIT: yeah, you could bump up the ISO). Still I love the shallow DoF and almost always use them at F1.2-2.

Very nice photos. And they are exactly the same that I'm after. They also showcase the difference between the 35 and 85 very well. I especially liked the Sunshower and the Boy on the leaves. Very good. You have the best of both worlds. I think that eventually I will get both primes also, either Canon or Sigma. For now I could do with the 35mm end of the 16-35. Maybe.

Yea, ISO...mmm...

alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 11, 2012 10:51 |  #10

yipDog Studios wrote in post #15352653 (external link)
Let me bring up something everyone misses with the 5d mk3. 2.8 lenses are absolutely fast enough for indoor shooting. You can go way into the higher ISO's and get great pics. I've shot iso 2000 and with a little noise reduction it's perfect. All you're doing with faster lenses is narrowing your DOF to the width of a hair.
. . .

Buy good lenses that satisfy your focal length needs.
From what you have, I'd go for the 70-200 f2.8L. It's a staple lens that will outlast your camera.

That. The high ISO handling on the 5D3 rocks. I use my 70-200 f/2.8 indoors w/o flash and can get kids + cat just fine, without working as hard for what is in focus with the shallower DOF with a faster aperture. Even when I use a 40mm or 50mm, I stop down for more DOF.

Also, putting your flash off camera, and bouncing it off the ceiling can give you a little extra oompf to shoot at a lower ISO. Sometimes more light is cheaper than another lens. :-)

That said, I am a lens junkie, so if you want faster, go for it.

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

Franz-Olof
THREAD ­ STARTER
74 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 11, 2012 11:04 |  #11

yipDog Studios wrote in post #15352653 (external link)
Let me bring up something everyone misses with the 5d mk3. 2.8 lenses are absolutely fast enough for indoor shooting. You can go way into the higher ISO's and get great pics. I've shot iso 2000 and with a little noise reduction it's perfect. All you're doing with faster lenses is narrowing your DOF to the width of a hair. A buddy of mine shoots concerts. He's always around ISO 1600 to 2000 as the super teles are mostly f4...put an extender on and you're at f8!
While you're collecting advice on the lenses, try shooting some higher ISO pics and see what happens. If your post editor doesn't satisfy with its internal noise reduction, there are several very good noise reduction plugins that are not a lot of money. I use Nik D-Fine and Neat. I only have one lens that is faster than 2.8, the 50mm f1.4. The DOF is too shallow especially on a FF for most things so I end up shooting around 2.8 anyway.
Now, I'm not one to say don't buy more lenses! I have WAY too many and am always looking for more. But please don't buy just because you feel you need a faster lens. You bought the 5D mk3 and it kicks arse in low light. Buy good lenses that satisfy your focal length needs.

70-200 has crossed my mind plenty, I admit. Still: 2.8.

canito wrote in post #15353038 (external link)
I think you made a good choice getting the 5d3 because pretty soon you will need that AF. A good zoom like the 24-70 would be ideal once they start walking, and please use your flash, I regret not using it for a while with my kids. Once you start using it, you'll see a big improvement in your pics. Just bounce from the ceilling, and if you have the 580, lift up the white card.

One more thing, fast lenses are great to create blur, but consider also the right amount of depth of field, that will increase the amount of keepers.

I'm also a dad with a camera and I've had to learn during my babie's first years. We've had a great time. Enjoy your family and use your gear to keep a good record of it.

Yes, I promise to myself to start using ALSO the flash. I have that Nissin 866ii which should do the job.

My non-existent style has been changing from shallow DOF to the more environmental portraits direction as I can sense that that kind of images which have more in focus and showcase the surroundings will be greatly endorsed after a couple of years. But I still want that shallow DOF stuff also.

About ISO... with 16-35/2.8 my ISO wonders from about 3200 to 12800. We have quite a dark house and this time of a year it's like that in Finland. I don't know... maybe I'm doing something wrong... I'm mostly using shutter time 1/125 (moving child) and f2.8.

I use Apple Aperture for RAW conversion. I don't know how good it is with 5dmkiii... I'm anyway quite ready buy NIK's collection. I really liked it for demo period.

But the point is that it's very hard to imagine using f8 or something.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,171 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 11, 2012 11:22 |  #12

Pick 35mm f1.4. Sigma looks quite good for the price. I have 35L. Love it on my 5dmk3 for my kid shots.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,579 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 11, 2012 14:06 |  #13

Franz-Olof wrote in post #15353316 (external link)
70-200 has crossed my mind plenty, I admit. Still: 2.8.

About ISO... with 16-35/2.8 my ISO wonders from about 3200 to 12800. We have quite a dark house and this time of a year it's like that in Finland. I don't know... maybe I'm doing something wrong... I'm mostly using shutter time 1/125 (moving child) and f2.8.

I use Apple Aperture for RAW conversion. I don't know how good it is with 5dmkiii... I'm anyway quite ready buy NIK's collection. I really liked it for demo period.

But the point is that it's very hard to imagine using f8 or something.

Ahhhh the plot thickens!
We couldn't tell from your user info that you were in Finland. And as you mention, it's quite a bit different light this time of year!
I use Aperture with Nik and my 5D mkIII as well as my 1Dx so it's fine.
I would second the voices that mention using flash in your situation. It doesn't take much to make great pics in virtual darkness with a flash.
I stand by my lens recommendation though as everyone needs a 70-200 in their kit. I have 4 kids and when I want to chase them around with a camera it's usually that lens so I can take more candid shots at a variety of distances.

www.yipdogstudios.com (external link) http://yipdog.smugmug.​com (external link)
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

G.Fraser
126 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 11, 2012 14:19 |  #14

I also recently purchased a 5D MkIII to shoot my 12 month old son. The 24-70 has lived on my camera, it's a superb lens and extremely versatile. On the full frame 5D MkIII you do get pretty shallow depth of field and I find f2.8 works pretty well in the dark conditions in my house here in wintry England (no way as cold as Finland, but it's pretty dark). I also have the 70-200 but my house is a bit too small to use indoors, but of course your situation may be different.

Website (external link) - Flickr (external link)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 11, 2012 14:30 |  #15

Your 16-35 + flash should do the trick

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
Suggest a lens for my lineup (5dmkiii) for children indoors
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.