Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens paralysis - what next?

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 12, 2012 15:18 |  #1

There are tons of these threads, I know.

Just upgraded to FF, and like others who do this, have some turnover happening in my lens mix with EF-S gone now and new less-familiar-to-me options available.

My current 2 lenses are in my sig (85mm 1.8 and 24-105mm). I have about $700 coming my way to spend/save towards the next lens and am wondering in what direction to go. I am open to any/all ideas.... keep my current 2 lenses & add? sell one of my current 2 and upgrade? wide angle? zoom or prime? Used/new? This is a wide net I'm casting here and just looking to see what combos folks would recommend since many of you have done this all before.

BTW my main interests are (a) family/kids portraits and (b) the occasional architecture/landscape​. Haven't done sports shooting but have had a request or two for it. Am mainly amateur but the occasional family/kids paid gigs come up. I'm leaning towards primes but am not married to the idea of all-prime.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

sponsored links
SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 12, 2012 15:20 |  #2

You are missing some telephoto. You can pickup a 70-200 f/4 or f/2.8 to cover your telephoto range. Primes will end up being more expensive to cover up the same range. You could also think about a 135L which isn't that expensive.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 12, 2012 15:21 |  #3

I'd keep it as-is for now. Use it for a while and see what, if any, shortcomings you face. Then decide what to do about it.

Neil

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 12, 2012 15:23 |  #4

Keep the 85, sell the 24-105, and get a 17-40 and a 70-200 f4?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 12, 2012 15:23 |  #5

Hmm, you look like you're missing something in the telephoto range, perhaps a 70-200 of some sort? Or maybe a 135L? With that kind of camera now, you don't really want to go too cheap if you do decide on something. Otherwise your current lenses are just fine.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

nccb
THREAD ­ STARTER
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 12, 2012 15:47 |  #6

Kolor-Pikker ... I was checking out 135L reviews earlier. Looks like a top L lens, especially for the price.

Some on POTN seem to like this combo for FF prime-only...

new 35mm 1.4 sigma + 85mm 1.8/sigma1.4/1.2 + 135L

And there's always the Canon "holy trinity" I guess.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 13, 2012 04:30 |  #7

If you like how your 85mm used to look on your old crop camera, then the 135 will fill that hole nicely, as it will give you a similar field of view. It also takes a 1.4xTC very well, so you can have a 190mm f/2.8 in a pinch, if you need that extra reach. It's a lot of lens that you get for the money.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 13, 2012 05:04 |  #8

Two lenses that probably serve for 99% of use on my FF are a 24-70 and 70-200.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 13, 2012 10:40 |  #9

nccb wrote in post #15358671 (external link)
There are tons of these threads, I know.

Just upgraded to FF, and like others who do this, have some turnover happening in my lens mix with EF-S gone now and new less-familiar-to-me options available.

My current 2 lenses are in my sig (85mm 1.8 and 24-105mm). I have about $700 coming my way to spend/save towards the next lens and am wondering in what direction to go. I am open to any/all ideas.... keep my current 2 lenses & add? sell one of my current 2 and upgrade? wide angle? zoom or prime? Used/new? This is a wide net I'm casting here and just looking to see what combos folks would recommend since many of you have done this all before.

BTW my main interests are (a) family/kids portraits and (b) the occasional architecture/landscape​. Haven't done sports shooting but have had a request or two for it. Am mainly amateur but the occasional family/kids paid gigs come up. I'm leaning towards primes but am not married to the idea of all-prime.

How about saving for a bit longer and going with a 100-400?

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links

1,015 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens paralysis - what next?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.