Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 23:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My last DSLR?

ChrisSearle
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Dec 15, 2012 23:09 |  #1

I've got a 5D3 and its pretty handy, does just about everything I need it to do and more, if I want more rez for landscapes I stitch, more high ISO perfomance? Tripod.

For other requirements mirrorless seems to be the way. X100 for street and general, DP2M for portable high resolution. And my upgrade path now looks more and more like upgrades to these , smaller, lighter cameras. So I'm asking myself, will there be another DSLR in my future, and I have to say that currently the answer is 'unlikely'. Do I care about new models from Canikon ? Not really, they no longer seem to be at the cutting edge of this still developing technology, no, if I'm interested in anything new gear-wise its stuff that is going to be coming from Fuji, Sony and yes, even Sigma bless 'em.

OK, for sports and wildlife a crop DSLR may be a requirement.... for now anyway.

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2012 01:12 |  #2

I think in a few years this might be a direction many of us move in.

Saul_Dzorelashvili
623 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 16, 2012 01:23 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #3

Yes, Mirrorless!!!

:D case in point my new Sony Nex 7 :D

www.sauldzorelashvili.​com (external link)
Sony Nex 7

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,218 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 16, 2012 01:39 |  #4

I like a camera I can get a good grip on that doesn't feel like a kid's toy. Until mirrorless offers the same ergonomics are a DSLR, and until electronic viewfinders catch up to optical, I'll stick with DSLRs. I would appreciate a somewhat lighter and thinner DSLR though.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,584 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 16, 2012 03:56 |  #5

If I ever move away from DSLRs, I see myself going the opposite direction. I would probably shift over to much larger, heavier medium format cameras. That is, if they ever made 500/600/800mm lenses for them. Although I would consider mirrorless cameras if soemday they ever made them with truly large sensors, similar to full frame DSLR sized sensors.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,903 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 16, 2012 04:03 |  #6

Well, but there's still plenty of people, who just cannot afford or for any other reasons cannot/don't want to have different cameras for different purposes. We go in to streets with those "bulky" ones, what we are customizing with lenses. And we can do that on the go.

I would love to try out X100, for example, but just can't imagine myself spending 1k usd just for fixed lens street shooter.

But if people can do that - by all means.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,785 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2012 08:19 |  #7

I just recently bought a Leica M Monochrom. The new M will be out in the spring and I do plan to eventually switch completely over to Leica. So I have bought my last DSLR and that was a couple years ago with my 5DIIs. That great Leica glass makes it hard not to make the switch. Manual focus, usable DoF scales and a less camera driven auto mode shooting experience is right for me.

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 16, 2012 08:47 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Sure Mirrorless will be a direction ... so will a new color logic over Bayer "Foveon type".
Just imagine a 3 or 4 color multi layer sensor with no AA filter coming to a theater near you.
When Sensor Technology really improves with Multi Layer designs and not just this more or less MP's crap
{the illusion of improvement} ... that will be your last DSLR or MFSDSLR !!

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2012 10:17 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15372282 (external link)
If I ever move away from DSLRs, I see myself going the opposite direction. I would probably shift over to much larger, heavier medium format cameras. That is, if they ever made 500/600/800mm lenses for them. Although I would consider mirrorless cameras if soemday they ever made them with truly large sensors, similar to full frame DSLR sized sensors.

Yes, for the medium and large format. Let's face this, the image quality for my 1dmarkIII and the 5dIII isn't all that different. I rarely shoot beyond ISO 2000. My 1dmarkIII IS my last 35mm DSLR. People talk about the resolution...... If you haven't printed anything larger than 24" with your previous model, you won't be doing so with the latest model. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

airfrogusmc
35,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2012 10:28 |  #10

The sharpness of the new MM coupled with the 35 lux is pretty amazing and the high ISO is also a very useful tool and the noise looks more like film grain than it does noise.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,339 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 16, 2012 12:21 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #11

I have 500D and 5D. As long as they work, I don't need another DSLR. Sports, macro, reportage, portraits - all covered.
For street I use film RFs. No current digital cameras to deliver same handling, experience and result for me yet. M9 is way too expensive and not reliable as my Canon DSLRs. Small cameras manufacturers like Fuji, Olympus and Sony are also too far from Canon to be bugs free in f/w and design of their cameras.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

airfrogusmc
35,785 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2012 12:36 |  #12

kf095 wrote in post #15373426 (external link)
I have 500D and 5D. As long as they work, I don't need another DSLR. Sports, macro, reportage, portraits - all covered.
For street I use film RFs. No current digital cameras to deliver same handling, experience and result for me yet. M9 is way too expensive and not reliable as my Canon DSLRs. Small cameras manufacturers like Fuji, Olympus and Sony are also too far from Canon to be bugs free in f/w and design of their cameras.

I've had all of my Canons 2 5Ds and now my 2 5DIIs in a lot more than a good bud (2 M8s and 2 M9s) and he's harder on his gear than I am. Both 5Ds had been to Canon more than once and the 5DIIs have all been in to Canon multiple times and my buds M8s and M9s have yet to go top Jersey during the same time frame. I had a complete shutter failure while shooting NATO back in May. He has had all of his Nikons in multiple times also. Still no problems with his Leicas. I'll let ya know in a couple years how mine is holding up but I can tell you now its built a hell of a lot better than my digital Canons.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 16, 2012 13:20 |  #13

ChrisSearle wrote in post #15371856 (external link)
I've got a 5D3 and its pretty handy, does just about everything I need it to do and more, if I want more rez for landscapes I stitch, more high ISO perfomance? Tripod.

For other requirements mirrorless seems to be the way. .

I'm waiting for more discounts in the mirrorless camera options

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 16, 2012 16:14 |  #14

watt100 wrote in post #15373669 (external link)
I'm waiting for more discounts in the mirrorless camera options

And better EVF, faster autofocus, and even decent autofocus in low light without flash assist.

El ­ Duderino
Goldmember
1,921 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 16, 2012 17:05 |  #15

I plan on sticking with my Nikon D600 for 5 years or so. I'm hoping by then, mirrorless technology will be up to snuff.

Nikon D600 | Bower 14mm f/2.8 | Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR | Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
500px (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,352 views & 0 likes for this thread
My last DSLR?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.