Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 18 Dec 2012 (Tuesday) 08:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Give me some feedback of this pic of my son

PhotoGeek
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 18, 2012 08:46 |  #1

I want to give the grandparents some nice portraits of our kids for Christmas, so I set out to experiment last night on my son (good sport that he is). This is my first attempt to shoot a "portrait" style photo using lighting indoors, so any constructive crit you can give is very much appreciated. That is, what should I look for in the lighting, etc.

Set up was one 580EX on a stand and shot through an umbrella on camera left above and pointing down, and about 45 degrees off center. I had a 430EX to camera right about eye height and about 45 degrees off center, shot through a diffuser. Speedlights were triggered with PWs. I shot a fair number of frames, and experimented with different placement of the speedlights and a white reflector. Speedlights were set to ETTL. I had a fair amount of trouble with shadows and hot spots. I'm going to pick up another umbrella.

Camera and lens, if it matters, were 1DIII and 135 f2, and camera settings were 1/100 and about f3.2 in manual mode.

Here's the best of the bunch after processing:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Comments? Suggested reading?

1DX, 1DIII, lenses, flashes, wires and stuff
http://jimlanterphotog​raphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
gadiper
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 18, 2012 09:05 |  #2

Well , I'm no expert but I'd say that the lighting looks good , it's even and the photograph is sharp .. except for maybe he's left ear , tho I don't think it matters that much..

To the random newbie it looks excellent :D , I think using a different background would have been better .. maybe a "happier" one (?!) an happier scene..

FUJIFILM X-T1 / 18-55 2.8-4 / flickr (external link)

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 18, 2012 11:49 |  #3

This is a good shot but personally I wouldn't have processed the skin as much.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 18, 2012 11:55 |  #4

The skin is a bit overcooked and I would get rid of the shadow on the wall behind him. Back off on the sharpening a touch. I'd even blur the braces a little. Heck, as long as you are doing PP, you could clone out the braces.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

PhotoGeek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 18, 2012 12:04 |  #5

Good and helpful comments - keep em coming.

As for the braces, that's where he is at this stage of his life so they stay. I'm not a fan of the background either, although it was not too important to my practicing and trying to figure out the lighting.

Thanks everyone.

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 18, 2012 14:07 |  #6

I just think the braces stand out too much the way you have them processed. Maybe selective remove the shine from them.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

lordshark
32 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 19, 2012 10:06 |  #7

I would add a some fill from the bottom, just a tad to soften the dip on his chin and the hard shadows on his neck. Other than that it's awesome!

Dano_nav
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 19, 2012 18:06 |  #8

Lighting of BG is uneven. I would've shot at f5.6 to give a little more DOF. Lighting appears flat.

PhotoGeek
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2012 08:34 |  #9

Thanks again. This has been helpful. There have been several things mentioned that I didn't notice, and your comments will help me watch some of those details I didn't think about.

Merry Christmas all!

sponsored links

1,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Give me some feedback of this pic of my son
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.