Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Dc / BG-E4

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 19, 2012 14:54 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I have had my 5D for about two weeks. I have started two threads about how very poorly it focuses (50 1.8 & 85 1.8) in lousy light, even using center point only, and with a focus assisting flash. It appears that I have solved the problem, but I don't understand the solution.

This morning, I was taking some test shots with the 85 1.8 and the camera started acting funny. It kind of froze. I had to turn it off and back on. Then it would adjust aperture and shutter and do nothing else. On/Off. Then it finally flipped up the mirror and opened the shutter - then froze. To me, it was acting like a low battery issue. I just charged the batteries (2, using a BG-E4 grip) yesterday. I took the batteries out and tried them one at a time. Camera works fine. When used singly (in the grip) a battery in the right slot shows full charge, and the camera works fine. If I put that same battery in the left slot (right slot empty), the camera messes up again.

I took off the grip and now use the batteries one at a time in the camera. No problems. I did this with a 50 1.8, 85 1.8 and 28-135. It did it with all 3 lenses with the grip on. It works fine with all 3 lenses without the grip. That seems to point to the grip and not the camera or lenses.

I started this off with a focus issue. Taking the grip off seems to have solved my focus issue. Does anyone have a clue about what is going on here? Can a bad/defective grip cause this kind of focus issues?

Gear List

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 19, 2012 16:23 |  #2

It certainly seems to be a grip problem. Since you tried the batteries in the grip individually, it sounds like there may be a short in the wiring to the left battery slot.

With low batteries (or one of the batteries being faulty) the camera should work - or not work. I've never heard of a faulty grip (or batteries) causing a focus issue.

I'm interested to hear what others have to offer.

Edit - I noticed in your other thread you mention that you are using after-market batteries. It might be worth while to include that info in this thread. Who knows - someone have have some experience to share.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 19, 2012 16:36 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

WaltA wrote in post #15386824 (external link)
It certainly seems to be a grip problem. Since you tried the batteries in the grip individually, it sounds like there may be a short in the wiring to the left battery slot.

With low batteries (or one of the batteries being faulty) the camera should work - or not work. I've never heard of a faulty grip (or batteries) causing a focus issue.

I'm interested to hear what others have to offer.

Edit - I noticed in your other thread you mention that you are using after-market batteries. It might be worth while to include that info in this thread. Who knows - someone have have some experience to share.

Yes, I am using no-name brand batteries. So far I have only checked the focus issue with the 85 1.8. Could it be a low/bad voltage thing caused by the grip? All is fine without the grip.

Gear List

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 19, 2012 16:41 |  #4

TSchrief wrote in post #15386877 (external link)
Yes, I am using no-name brand batteries. So far I have only checked the focus issue with the 85 1.8. Could it be a low/bad voltage thing caused by the grip? All is fine without the grip.

Except that if you use one battery and only in the right hand slot of the grip it works ok.

Rather than low voltage I'm thinking of maybe a short circuit that cause a voltage spike or something like that.

Maybe where the grip plugs into the camera body?

The only way to tell for sure is to try different grip and different/Canon batteries.

Walt

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 19, 2012 21:15 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I have proven (to myself, anyway) that the faulty(?) grip was the cause of my 5D's focus problem with my 50 1.8 & 85 1.8. Up until today, I have probably taken 100 shots with the 5Dc/50 1.8 combo. Perhaps 5 of them were in focus, or acceptably so. Once it got dark outside, I turned on the same two lamps (60W) that I was using before. I took 12 shots and every one of them is a fine example of how sharp the 50 1.8 is. One shot was of our BLACK cat, whose face filled an area about 20 times the size of the center focus point. Without the grip, and whatever problem it was causing, my 5D can now focus on a black cat in dimly lit living room. I have to agree with WaltA that it may work with the grip, if I only use one battery in the right-side slot. That test will be next. As I am just a casual shooter and the 5D is, so far, just a FF toy, I am not in a hurry to test that. My camera works without the grip, and that is OK with me.

Gear List

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2012 03:20 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Well, I put the grip back on with one battery in the apparently 'good' side. No luck. Camera started acting funny again so I took the grip off, permanently this time.

Gear List

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2012 08:00 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

OK. The camera is freezing with the grip NOT installed, too. I am back to square ONE. I did take some notes this time. When it freezes:
Mirror locks up.
Flash fires.
Exposure is captured, or at least started.
THE SHUTTER HAS NOT BUDGED.
The shutter releases and re-cocks when I shut the power off.

Any help? Shutter going? Still getting the funky battery readings, though.

Gear List

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 20, 2012 09:28 |  #8

You still haven't completely ruled out the batteries as the cause.

Until you test with a Canon battery thats still a possibility.

Walt

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2012 13:40 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

WaltA wrote in post #15389235 (external link)
You still haven't completely ruled out the batteries as the cause.

Until you test with a Canon battery thats still a possibility.

I thought about buying a Canon battery. At $65, that is not a cheap option. But, it is a LOT less expensive than a trip to Canon! I will try to borrow one first. I am still hoping that cleaning all the contacts and/or re-flashing the firmware has had some effect.

Gear List

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2012 14:07 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Could a bad/low Date/Time battery cause these problems?

Gear List

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 20, 2012 14:17 |  #11

TSchrief wrote in post #15390335 (external link)
Could a bad/low Date/Time battery cause these problems?

I doubt it. Is your date/time wrong? ;)

Walt

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2012 15:42 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

No. And it stays correct when I remove the grip/battery, even for several minutes. Thanks.

Gear List

ICSAM72
69 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 20, 2012 18:43 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #13

PLEASE don't take offence to this but with all the gear you have listed you feel that a $65.00 battery is an expensive option to trouble shoot your issue?

A small price to pay if in fact it is the issue.

What's your next step? Send it out for repair at a much higher price than the battery itself?

If it is a battery at least you'll have a good solid performer that will serve you well for years.

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2012 21:13 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

ICSAM72,
I take no offense. It even sounds weird to me. Do you think I could take the batteries to camera store and have them tested? Or maybe a battery shop? I just don't want to spend $80 or so to find out that it is NOT the battery, then have to spend ~$300 for a Canon tune-up. But that is better than spending $300 for a tune-up, only to find out all I needed was a battery. And it does seem odd that all three batteries seem to have the issue. What are the odds? Well, if they are all 8 years old, maybe the odds are pretty good. And a battery is the easiest next step.

By the way, I cleaned all the contacts and re-flashed the firmware this morning. I shot about 50 frames and (cross fingers) no problems yet.

Gear List

ICSAM72
69 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 20, 2012 21:43 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #15

If you have a camera shop nearby you can see if they have a spare OEM battery for you to try. Ifmyoumare on good terms with them I wouldn't see an issue with that.

Just a thought

sponsored links

2,310 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Dc / BG-E4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.