Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Dec 2012 (Monday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advice on new full-frame body

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 24, 2012 17:39 |  #1

Hi,

I've got some money saved up (about 2k) and am thinking of buying a new full frame body. My existing equipment is listed in my signature. I've been reading posts and seems like everyone is asking similar questions i.e. 5d2 vs 5d3 vs 6d.

Question-1:
I'm a hobbyist and almost always shoot with viewfinder. I do landscapes, architectures and portraits, not into videos, just still images. Which full frame body makes more sense for me?

Question-2:
Another question I have is if I sell my non-full frame lenses or keep them as backup?

Thanks,
-ifi

:)

sponsored links
stlouis_26
304 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 24, 2012 17:45 |  #2

Looks like you have some good lenses and a camera for wildlife and action. I have a 5d and I love it coupled with my 7d for the wildlife and action photos. I think you could not go wrong with the 5D II and if you really wanted to save money the 5d. The II has some real advantages over the classic.

bmitch
144 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 24, 2012 17:49 |  #3

Go for the Mark II. It's going to set you back more than a new 5d but it is a better camera. Keep your lenses at least for a bit and see what kind of results you get with them. You might surprise yourself. If after a bit you don't want them, sell them then.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM, 580EX II
Canon 5d Mark II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM, Canon 17-40mm f4L USM, 50mm f/1.8 II, 430EX
http://www.brishanphot​ography.com (external link)

cisobe
257 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 24, 2012 18:38 |  #4

I went for the 5D mkiii... I'm planning to keep my 7D as my backup body and keep my 10-22 and 17-55... (I don't have a ultra wide for full frame, so the 10-22 will be my landscape/architecture lens till I can save up enough for a 16-35...)

My primary reason for going with the mkiii was the AF system... plus my wife said ok to the mkiii :) If not I would have gone with the 6D for it's price and updated tech vs the mkii... My mkiii will be my everything camera unless i need the extra reach... I think this combo is going to be awesome...

5D MKIII|7D w/ Grip|EF-S 10-22MM f/3.5-4.5|EF-S 17-55MM f/2.8 IS|EF 24-105MM f/4L IS|EF 50MM f/1.4|EF 70-200MM f/2.8L IS|85mm f/1.8|35mm f/2 IS|70-300MM f/4-5.6 IS|580EX|Manfrotto 055PROB|2x PCB Einstein 640

bmitch
144 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 24, 2012 18:49 |  #5

Picked up a Mark III at B&H when we were in NYC last month. Best camera purchase to date. Well done!

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM, 580EX II
Canon 5d Mark II, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM, Canon 17-40mm f4L USM, 50mm f/1.8 II, 430EX
http://www.brishanphot​ography.com (external link)

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 24, 2012 18:57 |  #6

I use my 7D mostly for wildlife and a little landscape plus photos of the Auroras. My next camera will be a 6D since it offers good low-light or indoor-shooting capabilities, and the sensor is plenty good for landscapes and the Auroras. The 7D is offers great reach with the lenses I already have, but I may have to buy a 17-40L for the 6D.

7D, 5DII

starkyrulz
561 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 24, 2012 18:59 |  #7

5d - invest in lenses and then upgrade to a better body later.

| 5D Mark III | T3i | 24-70 f2.8 MK II L | 70-200 f2.8 IS mk II L | 18-200 f3.5-5.6 | Σ 30mm f1.4 | 50 f1.8 | 430exII | YongnouYN560 | YongnouRF603 | Vangaurd 263AT |

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/suprateep/ (external link)
http://500px.com/stark​yrulz (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 24, 2012 19:24 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I would purchase a god condition 5d...for $500 and spend the rest on glass for full frame. It will deliver wonderful photos of the subjects you are interested in. Sure the 5d3 has better AF...but you don't need that. Sure the 6d has wifi and gps...but again, you don't need that. Stick to what you need and save yourself a ton of cash that can be spent on glass.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 24, 2012 19:50 |  #9

You already have good lenses, so you're set there. Unless you want a TS-E.

You don't need the superior AF or weather sealing of the 5DIII. Take that one out of your list.

5DII vs 6D?

5DII advantages:
price
controls
flash sync speed (very very slight advantage)

6D advantages:
better low light AF
less noise at higher ISO
slightly better dynamic range
Wifi (could be useful for showing the results to the client on a tablet straight away and for remote shooting for architecture e.g. getting the camera right into corners where you yourself would not fit. however, you say you only shoot with viewfinder, so maybe not.)
GPS

Personally when I was choosing, I'd ruled out the 5DII because the 6D advantages were a big deal for me. Better AF and the wifi were too attractive to save money on a 5DII.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 24, 2012 21:44 |  #10

Get the 17-40mm, your stopping down for landscapes anyway and it will work great on a FF camera.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 25, 2012 00:32 |  #11

Thanks all. I wasn't thinking about 5d classic but now I am.

I do wish for a T-E lens :)

Is that 17-40 better than my 16-35?

:)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 25, 2012 02:11 |  #12

Your 16-35 is better. But if you don't use your 16-35 at 2.8, then you can replace it with the 17-40 and get a nice amount of money back.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

lusospeed
181 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 25, 2012 03:26 |  #13

Do yourself a favor and invest in a 5Dmkii or mkiii. The ISO performance alone will be substantially better than the 5D. Your lenses are fine. Also consider that the newer the camera, the higher the resale value if you need to sell it to upgrade. Also, if it needs repairs, the older the camera, the more likely it will be that you may encounter issues.

http://www.lusospeed.c​om (external link)

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 25, 2012 08:36 |  #14

lusospeed wrote in post #15405245 (external link)
Do yourself a favor and invest in a 5Dmkii or mkiii. The ISO performance alone will be substantially better than the 5D. Your lenses are fine. Also consider that the newer the camera, the higher the resale value if you need to sell it to upgrade. Also, if it needs repairs, the older the camera, the more likely it will be that you may encounter issues.

not to mention the 5dc just feels old now and the screen on the back is depressing....etc. doesn't affect iq but it does affect the experience.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 25, 2012 10:48 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

lusospeed wrote in post #15405245 (external link)

Higgs Boson wrote in post #15405551 (external link)
not to mention the 5dc just feels old now and the screen on the back is depressing....etc. doesn't affect iq but it does affect the experience.

The ISO performance of the 5D is no worse than the 5D2, or 5D3 for that matter. Of course, the 5D only goes to 3200. If you are comparing JPG shots from ANY bodies, you are comparing JPG engines, not the sensors capabilities. There have been some interesting threads recently showing that the IQ differences between the 5D, 5D2, 5D3 and 6D are almost non-existent if you shoot raw, which compares the sensors, not the Post-Processing algorithm built into the camera.

The higher ISO performance of my 5D easily outclasses my 60D, which is nominally better than the 7D. The 5D's AF system is identical to the 5D2. I used my 5D last night for the first time in a real-life snap-shot situation. It was a dimly lit Christmas dinner situation. My camera metered 1/4 to 1/15s at f/5.6 and ISO 3200. Not much light at all. I used center point only and go no AF misses I could blame on the camera.

I agree about the 5D feeling old. The menu system is archaic if you have used something newer. The rear screen is also good for framing and histogram checks. Do not rely on it for anything else. I think the worst thing about the 5D is that it has no sensor cleaning system. If you go that way, buy a Rocket Blower, you'll need it.

I think the 5D would satisfy the OP needs with the least amount of financial pain. Put the extra money into some glass/accessories.

Gear List

sponsored links

4,415 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advice on new full-frame body
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.