Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Dec 2012 (Monday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advice on new full-frame body

ebiggs
640 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 25, 2012 11:04 as a reply to  @ post 15405750 |  #16

In your situation I would get the 5D III if you can do the price but if it is too steep at this time get the 5D II. It makes a very nice companion to your 7D.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

sponsored links
ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 25, 2012 21:54 |  #17

5d3 would be idea but its kinda expensive, I could wait and see if it drops to 2.5k. I can almost buy two 5d2 for the price of one 5d3 :)

:)

twoshadows
Liquid Nitrogen
7,059 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 26, 2012 01:26 |  #18

Another vote for the 5Dc. I don't see where the OP needs anything more.

OP, there will always be people to "upsell" you on these forums. And while I do understand the attraction to owning a newer body, you could save yourself a serious chunk of change by getting the 5Dc. And, you won't be IQ limited with the classic. It's an IQ monster.

Also, its 12.8mp are more than good enough for 24"x36" prints. Is your output going to be larger? If so, then I'd look at a body with more MPs. But if not, then the 5Dc is a proven winner. For around $600 you can get one, OR if you want better outer focus points and ~30% more pixels, look into a 1DsII.

Seriously, I just picked up one from B&H for a little over $1000. 16.7mp, 4fps, and very good AF (not as good as my 1DmkIII, but very good and better than the 5Dc or 5DII). I am thrilled over the look of the files from this beast and is reported to give the 5Dmk2 a run for the money in terms of IQ (by wannabegood in the 1DsmkII's thread). Of course this is up to iso3200, which is the 1DsII's max iso. And one last thing about the 1DsII; I have never owned a body that produced such natively sharp files. IOW, I often use no sharpening of any kind (in camera or post) with the 1DsII. Even with the 5Dc I could never say that.

Obligatory "downside of the 1DsmkII" report: Battery life and getting decent batteries may be an issue. It's an ergonomic dinosaur. Rear screen is pretty pathetic - worse than 5Dc.

But man does it produce beautiful files at all ISOs...

xgender.net (external link) Miss Julia Grey (she/her/Miss)
OST, API, PPP & MLI explained (external link)

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 26, 2012 11:36 |  #19

twoshadows wrote in post #15407819 (external link)
Another vote for the 5Dc. I don't see where the OP needs anything more.

OP, there will always be people to "upsell" you on these forums. And while I do understand the attraction to owning a newer body, you could save yourself a serious chunk of change by getting the 5Dc. And, you won't be IQ limited with the classic. It's an IQ monster.

Also, its 12.8mp are more than good enough for 24"x36" prints. Is your output going to be larger? If so, then I'd look at a body with more MPs. But if not, then the 5Dc is a proven winner. For around $600 you can get one, OR if you want better outer focus points and ~30% more pixels, look into a 1DsII.

Seriously, I just picked up one from B&H for a little over $1000. 16.7mp, 4fps, and very good AF (not as good as my 1DmkIII, but very good and better than the 5Dc or 5DII). I am thrilled over the look of the files from this beast and is reported to give the 5Dmk2 a run for the money in terms of IQ (by wannabegood in the 1DsmkII's thread). Of course this is up to iso3200, which is the 1DsII's max iso. And one last thing about the 1DsII; I have never owned a body that produced such natively sharp files. IOW, I often use no sharpening of any kind (in camera or post) with the 1DsII. Even with the 5Dc I could never say that.

Obligatory "downside of the 1DsmkII" report: Battery life and getting decent batteries may be an issue. It's an ergonomic dinosaur. Rear screen is pretty pathetic - worse than 5Dc.

But man does it produce beautiful files at all ISOs...

Yes, it does make sense especially since I always shoot raw files, the other day I was even considering 1Ds3. Now the question is that just because I can afford 5d2/3 should I buy it, I guess that's my biggest problem that I can... Some of you have already answered that question that no I do not really need anything more than 5dc/1Ds2.
At times I end up cropping images so 5dc with 12MP may be a chellange, 1Ds2 at 16MP is better very close to my 7d. The way 1Ds2 is being sold on eBay, the price may become little under a new 5d2. Since I almost always shoot using viewfinder having 1Ds 100% viewfinder will be a plus?

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Gallery: 429 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 26, 2012 12:00 |  #20

Do you use Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 or are you thinking of getting either? If you do or are then you might want to get a slightly newer Mark of 5D and perhaps 1Ds as there are no 64-bit drivers for them. This means that you can't tether them, transfer images quickly and a couple of other useful things... like changing the User name on the camera.

5Dc is awesome but it is old and communicating with your computer may be something you want hassle free...

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 26, 2012 12:06 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Just commenting on needing 'more' camera. I was shooting a 500D (T1i) and wanted to upgrade. The 7D came out and I was interested, but declined because it was too much camera. The 60D hit the stores a short time later and I knew it was enough for me. I have never regretted passing on the 7D. I spent months recently, debating the addition of a full-frame body. I have had my 5D for about 2 or 3 weeks. The 5D2, in my opinion, has nothing on the 5D, except MP, and sensor cleaning ability. It was never an option. The 5D3 is just too much money for a hobby shooter like me. I was down to the 1Ds2 or 5D. And the 5D was 1/2 the price of a 1Ds2. I am happy with my 5D. I am sure you will be more than satisfied with either the 5D, or the 1Ds2.

I wish I could quell my nagging desires for glass as easily as I do those for the bodies. The 24-70 II is calling me....

Gear List

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 26, 2012 12:09 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Snowyman wrote in post #15408973 (external link)
Do you use Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 or are you thinking of getting either? If you do or are then you might want to get a slightly newer Mark of 5D and perhaps 1Ds as there are no 64-bit drivers for them. This means that you can't tether them, transfer images quickly and a couple of other useful things... like changing the User name on the camera.

5Dc is awesome but it is old and communicating with your computer may be something you want hassle free...

I just went through this with my 5D. I must agree. If you are using a lesser version of WIN7-64, forget tethered shooting. Downloading and installing "XP Mode" for WIN7 will cure the problem, but it is only available for the, Enterprise, Professional and Ultimate versions of WIN7. I don't know anything about WIN8.

Gear List

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 26, 2012 12:28 |  #23

Snowyman wrote in post #15408973 (external link)

I wasn't aware of this. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, home edition on laptop and professional edition on the desktop.

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 26, 2012 12:33 |  #24

Just visited www.usa.canon.com (external link), it doesn't seem to have Windows 7 64-bit drivers even for 5d3?

Snowyman
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Gallery: 429 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 26, 2012 12:40 |  #25

Some threads on this WIn7 64-bit problem:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=979257

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=781825

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1192300

You can get it to work on Windows 7 Professional but even that sounds like a fiddly job and not entirely satisfactory workaround.

Snowy's Gear
Deviant Art (external link)
Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

chris61
186 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 26, 2012 13:25 as a reply to  @ Snowyman's post |  #26

They are on the site i got mine for windows 8 64bit, of the UK site use this link it's for the 6d but will work with my 40d and my brothers 5D2, and think it will support all the canon eos cameras

http://www.canon.co.uk …aspx?type=downl​oad&page=1 (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/88087917@N05/ (external link)
16-35 f2.8 Mkii 24-105 f4is 1.4X extender mkii Sigma 150-500 apo HSM speed light 550ex canon 5d mkiii :cool:

phoenixheat
271 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 26, 2012 13:32 |  #27

For the record, the tech bits, low light focusing, and amazing ISO performance of the 6D is well worth the extra money spent over a 5DMKII. The MKII is a great camera, but the 6D in my opinion is superior. The wifi alone and EOS Remote app are worth the extra money IMO. You can move shots directly from your camera to your phone, and then upload them instantly from there. It's a huge convenience.

www.justinmuirphotogra​phy.com (external link)

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 26, 2012 14:29 |  #28

phoenixheat wrote in post #15409306 (external link)
For the record, the tech bits, low light focusing, and amazing ISO performance of the 6D is well worth the extra money spent over a 5DMKII. The MKII is a great camera, but the 6D in my opinion is superior. The wifi alone and EOS Remote app are worth the extra money IMO. You can move shots directly from your camera to your phone, and then upload them instantly from there. It's a huge convenience.

Agree, WiFi does open more shooting possibilities, especially in cold/bad weather conditions, I can see myself setting up camera outside and shooting from camping tent, all wirelessly, but I'm not sure if 6d can be left outside in the weather? I can always wrap it in plastic like most pro do? However 6d is still very new and is being sold at MSRP.

I did more reading on 5dc and 1Ds2, seems like Canon has abandoned them, running OS in compatibility mode or having two sets of computers might end up costing same amount of money in the long run as buying comparatively newer camera? :(

No wonder so many others are having trouble deciding between 5d2, 5d3, 1Ds3, 6d., these are all great cameras. 5d2 and 6d are within my budget, I can wait/extend my budget and buy 5d3 as well but not sure if and when will it come close to 2.5k?

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 28, 2012 19:11 |  #29

After playing with 5d2, 5d3 and 6d at a local store I've decided to go with 5d3.

Deetrini
145 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 28, 2012 19:19 as a reply to  @ post 15405750 |  #30

5D mark II and the current glass you have will shine

"Watermarks ruin photos" - anonymous

sponsored links

4,718 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advice on new full-frame body
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.