Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Dec 2012 (Monday) 17:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need advice on new full-frame body

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 29, 2012 11:18 |  #31

ifi wrote in post #15409084 (external link)
Just visited www.usa.canon.com (external link), it doesn't seem to have Windows 7 64-bit drivers even for 5d3?

If you mean a codec, you are correct - Canon has no 64 bit codecs for the 5D3, they also have none for the 5Dc, 5D2 or any other camera. Neither Canon and Nikon have created 64-bit codecs. Microsoft has some or you can do like I did and pay $15 a 3rd party set of codecs - they work great.

As for camera choice - I personally would not buy a 5Dc, I just don't like buying used bodies - I prefer to get a warranty. I also don't care much for the LCD and no LV. Plus you already have a great FF lens lineup. I think either a 6D or 5DMKII would work best. I went for a 5DMKII, last week, got a great deal $1,439 - new, USA, very good dealer. Money was a major factor for me, but I also like the control layout. I will be using the 5DMKII with my 7D at events. I personally prefer a similar control layout and size of the 5DII.

I do think the 6D looks great and if you have the money it might be worth the extra money. I doubt I would have used the wifi, but the GPS would be nice. I know others really like the wifi so the extra 6D features like wifi, GPS, AF etc.. may make it a better choice for you.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 29, 2012 11:30 |  #32

Edshropshire wrote in post #15420133 (external link)
If you mean a codec, you are correct - Canon has no 64 bit codecs for the 5D3, they also have none for the 5Dc, 5D2 or any other camera. Neither Canon and Nikon have created 64-bit codecs. Microsoft has some or you can do like I did and pay $15 a 3rd party set of codecs - they work great.

As for camera choice - I personally would not buy a 5Dc, I just don't like buying used bodies - I prefer to get a warranty. I also don't care much for the LCD and no LV. Plus you already have a great FF lens lineup. I think either a 6D or 5DMKII would work best. I went for a 5DMKII, last week, got a great deal $1,439 - new, USA, very good dealer. Money was a major factor for me, but I also like the control layout. I will be using the 5DMKII with my 7D at events. I personally prefer a similar control layout and size of the 5DII.

I do think the 6D looks great and if you have the money it might be worth the extra money. I doubt I would have used the wifi, but the GPS would be nice. I know others really like the wifi so the extra 6D features like wifi, GPS, AF etc.. may make it a better choice for you.

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts and experience. As of now money is not a major factor for me, I hope it stays this way :) ...I'm leaning toward 5d3, I'm not in any rush therefore will wait few weeks to let the price cool down, 5d2 is also a great option, can you PM me as to where you got your 5mkII ?

:)

Edshropshire
316 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 01, 2013 20:18 |  #33

No need to PM over where I got my 5DMKII, I purchased it from Newegg during their 48 hour sale three days before Christmas. Was a little bit of a strange process, I received the email about the promotion early Sat. Morning wait for my Son's Lego Mindstorms tournament to start. I ordered the camera right away, but they returned a error on my CC and said to call the company. Was strange since I knew the card is good, I called them anyway and they said it was strange and saw no activity from Newegg. I tried to reorder from Newegg, but they said the coupon code was not valid, so I decided just to order from Amazon since it was only $90 more. Right after I submitted my Amazon order I got an email from Newegg confirming my original order. So I canceled my Amazon order and in two hours I had a tracking number from Newegg (they included free overnight shipping).

I am thrilled with my deal and the camera. From what I can see most reputable places are now selling 5D MK IIs for $1700+. I just finished my first real shoot with the camera today and I just love the results.

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

ifi
THREAD ­ STARTER
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 01, 2013 21:49 |  #34

Edshropshire wrote in post #15432916 (external link)
No need to PM over where I got my 5DMKII, I purchased it from Newegg during their 48 hour sale three days before Christmas. Was a little bit of a strange process, I received the email about the promotion early Sat. Morning wait for my Son's Lego Mindstorms tournament to start. I ordered the camera right away, but they returned a error on my CC and said to call the company. Was strange since I knew the card is good, I called them anyway and they said it was strange and saw no activity from Newegg. I tried to reorder from Newegg, but they said the coupon code was not valid, so I decided just to order from Amazon since it was only $90 more. Right after I submitted my Amazon order I got an email from Newegg confirming my original order. So I canceled my Amazon order and in two hours I had a tracking number from Newegg (they included free overnight shipping).

I am thrilled with my deal and the camera. From what I can see most reputable places are now selling 5D MK IIs for $1700+. I just finished my first real shoot with the camera today and I just love the results.

Thank you. I had similar credit card issue with Newegg when I purchased 7d.

:)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need advice on new full-frame body
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.