Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats your photography pet peeve?

thinkerer
33 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 28, 2012 00:18 |  #1

And how do you fix it / do you not fix it.
Just wondering :p

Canon T2i | 24-70L
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 28, 2012 00:59 |  #2

You're new here so you wouldn't remember this thread...

What are your photography pet-peeves?

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 28, 2012 07:19 |  #3

People who ask questions without running a search first? And since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,678 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 28, 2012 08:35 |  #4

Threads about pet peeves. How do you fix it? I wish I knew.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 28, 2012 11:20 |  #5

I like it when people start new threads, even though the topic is covered in an existing thread. What's wrong with having more threads on the same topic?

thinkerer wrote in post #15415171 (external link)
Whats your photography pet peeve? And how do you fix it?

Anyway, let's get into the spirit of this and list some pet peeves, as the OP requested.

One of my biggest pet peeves is noise grain. I hate the way it looks, and in my opinion, it practically ruins any image in which it's noticeable.

Howm do I fix it? Well, I don't do noise reduction, so the way I keep the noise down is to not shoot my 50D over 400 ISO, nor my 5Dc over 800 ISO. And I try to avoid shooting scenes that have large, dark, out of focus areas in the background.

By the way, that other thread on thios topic is closed, so starting a new thread was a great idea - thank you, Thinkerer!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2012 11:49 |  #6

that i've haven't found a good way in PP to get rid of the banding from a Canon sensor. i can usually avoid it, but when it happens the shot is gone.

LostArk
417 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 28, 2012 11:51 |  #7

I don't have pet peeves. I'm an enlightened being. When someone irks me, I realize they have only done so out of their own ignorance and I must have mercy on them. Some may view this attitude as smug, and to them I can only say... Patience, my child. In time, enlightenment will come to you as well.

LOL

Ok not really.

Here's a comment someone once left on one of my photos (original comment can be seen here (external link)):

"This is a spectacular shot. The focus, the depth of field, the exposure, the lighting... I am very jealous of that lens."

Jealous of the LENS? LKWEJlksdfnfdklsdflmnd​sf

www.unknoahble.com (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,946 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 11:55 |  #8

PhotosGuy wrote in post #15415744 (external link)
People who ask questions without running a search first? And since you used a descriptive title, the forum has done a mini-search for you. Look at the links at the very bottom left hand corner of this page.

The links don't appear until you've posted your question.

At the risk of alienating a moderator, I'll repost this:

The forum rules wrote:
If you know an answer to a question either answer it or say nothing. Giving newbies blunt answers like "search the forum" is not allowed - please use the typing effort to giving the answer instead. Or just give the link to that post you wished the newbie should have searched for. Respect newbies - you were a newbie once.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

CraigPatterson
287 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 28, 2012 12:20 |  #9

OhLook, you should change your handle to OhSnap!

:lol:

(all in fun...)

I have a ton of gear, but my gear is just a hammer.
www.craigpatterson.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 28, 2012 13:56 |  #10

OhLook wrote in post #15416691 (external link)
The links don't appear until you've posted your question.

A simple search before this thread was posted would have provided 7 links to seven threads. Which was the point that you ignored so that you could post your comment.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

rob0225
284 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 28, 2012 15:26 |  #11

SOK wrote in post #15415236 (external link)
You're new here so you wouldn't remember this thread...

What are your photography pet-peeves?

The thread linked to was started in 2008 and last post in 2009. I don't see what the issue of a new thread is almost 3 years later? People have changed, technology has changed and I'm sure pet peeves have changed.

So instead of the post having any value it deteriorates into a bunch of people discussing searching, mini-searches, etc. Now, that's a waste.

I don't get this logic. I'm sure your could use search for most all new posts and come up with something. I understand the need to manage the traffic to some degree but sometimes people are too anal about it.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

woos
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 28, 2012 15:32 |  #12

When I get a call at my work (which will go un named) from "a professional photographer" and they don't understand color management AT ALL. /fail. lol

amanathia.zenfolio.com

kekais
122 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 15:41 |  #13

INSTAGRAM. The myriad of Facebook posts from self proclaimed "professional" half-eaten breakfast photographers. No, your mutilated food does NOT become art with the addition of a vintage filter.

It doesn't matter how big your camera is, it's how you use it! :cool:

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,946 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 15:48 |  #14

CraigPatterson wrote in post #15416771 (external link)
OhLook, you should change your handle to OhSnap! . . .

Yeah, at the very least.

To return to the metatopic: I doubt that someone who starts a thread asking for pet peeves could fulfill the same purpose by checking the archives. That isn't a request for technical information; it's more of a social inquiry. It invites a lively round-table discussion among people who are here now.

And, on the topic, I currently have plenty of peeves because I bought a new camera and am trying to figure out what it can do and how to make it do it. I wanted better macro. Upgrading didn't help much with that. Canon's macro attachment will be unavailable for months, so I got a set of close-up lenses, 1, 2, and 4 diopters. They don't help a whole lot, either.

Sincerely,
OhWell

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 28, 2012 16:05 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15416523 (external link)
I like it when people start new threads, even though the topic is covered in an existing thread. What's wrong with having more threads on the same topic?

I agree....a quick scan of the main page would indicate that most new threads created are about something that has been discussed here before, usually many multiple times. In the spirit of creating new conversation, I think it's great that people will bring up already discussed topics so that it can be discussed again. Even though a topic has been discussed before, bringing it back up after a period of time usually creates a whole new and different conversation.

sponsored links

47,108 views & 15 likes for this thread
Whats your photography pet peeve?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.