Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Dec 2012 (Friday) 00:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats your photography pet peeve?

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 01, 2013 22:31 |  #46

I got quite a few:

1.) Baby photos... Can't stand them. I understand people are proud of their children, but we don't need to see your kid every single day. I don't mind excessive dog and cat photos, though :p

2.) Instagram

3.) High fashion "poses"... Crooked back, weird arm positions, bent legs, etc... You know the type.

4.) Microadjustment... I wish lenses would just come perfect from the factory and not require any! I find it hard to believe they can't calibrate all bodies to a single tight standard of tolerance, and do the same with lenses throughout the entire zoom range.

5.) Waiting for UPS/Fedex/USPS with camera gear... That counts, right?

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Lonnie
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 01, 2013 22:57 |  #47

Seeing POTN users recommend the 50/1.8 to new Canon owners. I cringe everytime.

My YouTube Vlog: https://www.youtube.co​m/c/GarageFlips (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 01, 2013 23:02 |  #48

Lonnie wrote in post #15433434 (external link)
Seeing POTN users recommend the 50/1.8 to new Canon owners. I cringe everytime.

Why? It's a good cheap way to learn DoF, critical focus, and "natural" light.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Lonnie
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 01, 2013 23:16 |  #49

Bad focus, sticky aperture blades, 10% keeper rate. Both that I had were horribly frustrating. As cheap as they are, I don't think they are worth the money. For every great 50/1.8 picture you see someone post, there are probably a thousand in the recycle bin.

Honestly, I wish I would have bought a manual flash instead and learned how to use it with my kit lens. Would have been more useful. The secret to photography isn't glass, it's light. Spend thousands trying to gather more with expensive glass. Or use a couple of 50 dollar flashes with the cheap glass you already have and make better images. Wish someone woulda told me that from the start.

My YouTube Vlog: https://www.youtube.co​m/c/GarageFlips (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 01, 2013 23:18 |  #50

Lonnie wrote in post #15433500 (external link)
Bad focus, sticky aperture blades, 10% keeper rate. Both that I had were horribly frustrating. As cheap as they are, I don't think they are worth the money. For every great 50/1.8 picture you see someone post, there are probably a thousand in the recycle bin.

Honestly, I wish I would have bought a manual flash instead and learned how to use it with my kit lens. Would have been more useful. The secret to photography isn't glass, it's light. Spend thousands trying to gather more with expensive glass. Or use a couple of 50 dollar flashes with the cheap glass you already have and make better images. Wish someone woulda told me that from the start.

I think both are important. You have to know what bad light is to know what good light is.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 02, 2013 03:32 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Pet peeves are:

Shooting with subject in half sunlight/shadow. Bad focusing on my camera, I think the 5D and 50D need to go this year, maybe either get a 7D or try scrape enough monies for a 1D iv

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 02, 2013 05:53 |  #52

Selective Colour.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 02, 2013 06:29 as a reply to  @ Tiberius's post |  #53

photographic pet peeves : heavily over processed HDR, high iso gain, bad attempts at noise reduction due to high iso gain, pet photos, photos of horses, narcissistic self portrait shots posted to facebook daily by the same person, instagram galleries filled with consumer purchases like clothing, food, and other bothersome mall purchases, I also really hate heavy glare on peoples faces created by pop up flash. The end.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,505 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2013 07:28 |  #54

Thread which is posted sometimes every week here, over and over, again and again, often called - which UV filter for my lens.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 02, 2013 09:18 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban

Tiberius47 wrote in post #15434098 (external link)
Selective Colour.

calypsob wrote in post #15434138 (external link)
photographic pet peeves : heavily over processed HDR, high iso gain, bad attempts at noise reduction due to high iso gain, pet photos, photos of horses, narcissistic self portrait shots posted to facebook daily by the same person, instagram galleries filled with consumer purchases like clothing, food, and other bothersome mall purchases, I also really hate heavy glare on peoples faces created by pop up flash. The end.

kf095 wrote in post #15434262 (external link)
Thread which is posted sometimes every week here, over and over, again and again, often called - which UV filter for my lens.

+1 on all :lol:

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 02, 2013 19:11 |  #56

JLX wrote in post #15431866 (external link)
I don't know if it's a pet peeve per say but e other day I was in the camera store and a man announced he wanted to upgrade to a 1D mkIII as he felt the quality of his work was beyond his gear. Looked at the camera and promptly asked the salesman how to put it in auto... I nearly had a heart attack.

I think I know that guy. :lol:

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 02, 2013 19:12 |  #57

Threads about "Which lens should I take to <insert city here>?".

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

SwissMissy
71 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 03, 2013 10:22 |  #58

-Photographers who get angry at a non-photographer saying, "Great photos! You must have a nice camera." (or anything along those lines). I said this same thing too, before I got into photography. They just don't know. It's still a compliment; don't get your undies in a wad.

-Instagram. I just don't care for the look or the app in general. The "look" is especially awful on food photos. Makes everything look disgusting.

-The phrase "zoom with your feet." It isn't always possible or practical.

-Chromatic aberration. I hate it shows up and I especially hate it when I forget to fix it in PP.

-Really obnoxious HDR. I'm not talking Stuck In Customs (I like his stuff)...I'm talking about some of those horrible, horrible presets in Photomatix. Look through a few Flickr HDR groups for many, many HDR photos that will burn your eyeballs.

-Photos of flowers. Yawn. Though taking flower photos as a newbie helped me learn. I just think they're boring.

-UV filters

Acetoolguy
397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 03, 2013 12:26 |  #59

That I spent over $250 for a lens and the snow in the first photo was still blown......damn lens.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 04, 2013 00:51 |  #60

I would say when I see people using flash at large events like hockey games or races. Sitting up in the grandstands, flash isn't going to help you. The only way it does is if the camera only has presets and they're using a sports preset that has a faster shutter speed, but also requires the flash to fire regardless of the light conditions.

Lens restrictions at events are probably another one.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

47,114 views & 15 likes for this thread
Whats your photography pet peeve?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.